May 25, 2013, 08:41 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketnz
JUst crashed mine into a 200 foot cliff bush, and rescued it, video to come!
Quote:
uploading the video now at http://youtu.be/yUbVTst3fLY enjoy. check back in 1 hour after upload.
Quote:
Crash at 17 minutes

Cool ... now you have learned to fly an AXN, Crash an AXN, recover an AXN, Check for damage, Fly it again, film the whole thing, put it up on Youtube >>>> all you need to do now is learn how to video edit!! 17 minutes is too long let alone 39!! or what ever it was .... Still always good to have an accident and still walk away with a flying bird!! Nice shots of the Bondi shore too ... from the noise seems you might need to balance that prop and maybe get a collet if your not already using one ... of course the rear camera will pickup ALL the noise from the motor. Looks like you had fun and that is the main thing
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2013, 08:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
Looks like a lot of aileron travel. Mine is much less and still flies fine. Too much aileron can cause problems, but just my $.02. Nice views tho..
May 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
Has anybody reinforced the fuselage to tail section with a carbon rod? I snapped the tail almost through on a crash and epoxied it back together but am wondering if I should reinforce the tail section underneath or on either side? Any pics? suggestions?
May 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
Will the RTF version work with my Specktrum DX5e radio? or would it be cheaper just to buy another radio from HK? I am ordering the RTF version with motor and adding the ESC and Servos. I am thinking I will need a RX also? Thanks for your help!
May 27, 2013, 01:52 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSFlyer
Has anybody reinforced the fuselage to tail section with a carbon rod? I snapped the tail almost through on a crash and epoxied it back together but am wondering if I should reinforce the tail section underneath or on either side? Any pics? suggestions?
Just put carbon rod 3mm by 1mm thinkness down the side from at least 1/2 under the wing pass the break by an equal amount. Be better than new.
May 27, 2013, 02:37 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Roberts
Will the RTF version work with my Specktrum DX5e radio? or would it be cheaper just to buy another radio from HK? I am ordering the RTF version with motor and adding the ESC and Servos. I am thinking I will need a RX also? Thanks for your help!
Sure, just put in a spektrum 5 channel receiver or better.
May 27, 2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Your DX5e will be better than the cheaper HK radios, so do use it. Pretty sure it will bind to an Orange Rx from HK too, say the 6channel. Once bound on the bench just work out which channel you don't have. Should be fine.
May 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSFlyer
Yes but if you have glued it well it is possibly over kill - last one I broke came back as a clipped wing and I only used PU to glue the fuse took wind, a couple of trees and disorientation to kill it and the fuse still didn't break (at that point )
May 27, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice on the TX and the choice of RX also. Looks like HK is out of stock on the ESC that is recommended for this plane at the USA warehouse, how long would it take to get all of the parts from the Hong Kong warehouse shipped to Alabama? I have never purchased anything from HK so the reason I am asking. Thanks again!
May 27, 2013, 09:10 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
Varies, on average I'd say 3 weeks. Check HK but use US warehouse (a few days). There's other esc's that will work but I'd shoot for a 30 amp one brushless).
May 27, 2013, 10:18 PM
The US warehouse is out of almost all of the parts that I need to build the ARF version. What would be the harm in getting the model that has everything but the RX and battery? I am coming from a HZ Champ so I don't think I will be doing much fast aerobatic flying right away.
May 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
Quote:
The US warehouse is out of almost all of the parts that I need to build the ARF version. What would be the harm in getting the model that has everything but the RX and battery? I am coming from a HZ Champ so I don't think I will be doing much fast aerobatic flying right away.
Works fine .. just be prepared to swap out the servos soonish.
May 27, 2013, 10:46 PM
Okay, I think that is what I will do. Maybe get some initial stick time with the model and order the better ESC and servos. Thank you all for your help! Will post back once model is built and flying. YouTube build videos are very detailed.
May 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
Yes but if you have glued it well it is possibly over kill - last one I broke came back as a clipped wing and I only used PU to glue the fuse took wind, a couple of trees and disorientation to kill it and the fuse still didn't break (at that point )
That's what I was thinking...I epoxied the crack (it wasn't all the way through) and just held off on the carbon rod for now. I'm not sure if I want to add it or not, but was also wondering if people did it on the bottom of the fuselage or the sides since I think the bottom fuselage under the wings is really thin and probably at a curve that would be hard to match up the rod from tail to front of wings edge
May 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
We had 3 AXNs up in the air yesterday at the same time along with a Bixler II and an EasyStar II with a hand wound BIG A** motor on it. Wind was blowing about 12 mph and we had a blast soaring sometimes and then racing around the sky on full power; the EasyStar with the custom motor put us all to shame though. She roared by us like we were standing still. When I came into land, my AXN basically just floated on the wind and then settled down like she was on a parachute!! Great fun. Everyone should own a pusher type glider of one kind or another.

Quick Reply