Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Crashmaster
I just got this plane in the mail the other day. She was a very simple build, being ready to fly after about 30 minutes. I originally used CA and kicker to bond the joints, but she broke up midflight after some high G maneuvers. That was my first, and last, time I used CA for a build. 5 minute epoxy is my friend, CA is not. The plane was not heavily damaged in the crash, and I put her back together (properly this time) with some epoxy.

I've owned a HobbyPeople ''Superfly X'', and bananahobby's ''FMS 1280'', both very similar to this one. I like that this bird is a little smaller, it goes in my storage much easier. She is very light, and still manages to feel beefy in the fuselage. I really hate how the battery bay was designed, there is very little room for anything in there. The motor seems to be pretty decent, I pulled about 260 watts and 23 amps with an APC 6x5.5 propeller (barely warm after flight). I also hate the prop-saver design on this plane: why in the hell would I need one of those? This will quickly be traded out for a prop adapter.

I haven't noticed the drastic down pitch others have mentioned. It's there, but minimal compared to other similar styles I've owned. I take off with about 50-75% throttle and a toss at about 30 degrees above the horizon. Ailerons........I'm disappointed. Definitely needs rudder mixing if you want to maneuver around the skies with ease. I will probably extend the ailerons with some DTF (dollar tree foam), they are so wimpy as stock. I will probably remove the polyhedral as others have suggested, but will hold off for now.

Overall, this was a great buy and I am happy. I ordered on a Sunday, and had it in my hands 8 days later. The box was undamaged, as was the plane. For the price, it is an excellent plane and will fit the style that I was looking for. I can stay in the air on one battery while my buddy goes through 3....awesome.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Swammy, glad to here you like it - still holds a special spot for me too. Any PU glue will work well with this plane's EPO too. E.g. Gorilla glue etc.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by gooby
hjukhjuk
I used the glue that came in the box and it worked great.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by hendrnk
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I used the glue that came in the box and it worked great.
I second the use of using the stock glue.

Be careful with using epoxy, it doesn't stick very well to the AXN foam at all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:34 AM
Crashmaster
I will recheck my glue joints to make sure they're ok. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by Firepower
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
I just got this plane in the mail the other day. She was a very simple build, being ready to fly after about 30 minutes. I originally used CA and kicker to bond the joints, but she broke up midflight after some high G maneuvers. That was my first, and last, time I used CA for a build. 5 minute epoxy is my friend, CA is not. The plane was not heavily damaged in the crash, and I put her back together (properly this time) with some epoxy.
I used to swear by Epoxy on this type of foam but the THICK CA is MUCH BETTER.
I buy a couple of these at a time as it is very dear if you run out and have to go to the LHS. I use the Extra Thick or GAP Filling.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Glue_1_oz.html

For instant setting I use this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ator_2_oz.html

It is BRILLIANT. I know you are suppose to use thin CA in places but I always use the thick. I just glued a ply engine mount to the foam on a Skywalker X5 that has a heavy motor. The foam will break before the glue lets go.

Sounds like the CA did not stick on the wing rod covers or tailplane. I always put fiberglass tape over the wing rod covers just in case but with thick CA it is not a problem. I put a lot on when I do it and wipe off extra with my finger. It is not recommended when the kicker has just been put on, as it burns badly.
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Cathead
The Biscuit is optional
I just got one of these bad boys. It's built and sitting there, just waiting for the maiden flight tomorrow. I can't wait!

It looks fast just sitting there......
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathead View Post
I just got one of these bad boys. It's built and sitting there, just waiting for the maiden flight tomorrow. I can't wait!

It looks fast just sitting there......
Have you flown RC planes before?
AJ
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by banknwank

Floater jet in the mail.........

I have spent my new-b time with the wild hawk and was ready for upgrades......By the time i got all the goodies to add ailerons and a brushless power plant, i could just buy the floater. So I did! And it should be hear early next week. This forum helped me make that choice. Thanks for all good info.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:10 PM
Crashmaster
My canopy flipped off and my battery fell out of the plane while I was inverted about 400 feet up in the air. I blame myself for not securing the battery better, but that's not the point I want to make. This plane floated and flopped around for the drop, completely without control....and she landed in one piece with no visible damage! I was able to pop on another battery (securing it better this time), and take her up in the air right away.

Lesson learned: secure your batteries better and don't rely solely on the foam to hold it securely in place.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by chucksolo69
I always place a rubber band around my canopy to secure it to the fuse. never had an issue.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
My canopy flipped off and my battery fell out of the plane while I was inverted about 400 feet up in the air. I blame myself for not securing the battery better, but that's not the point I want to make. This plane floated and flopped around for the drop, completely without control....and she landed in one piece with no visible damage! I was able to pop on another battery (securing it better this time), and take her up in the air right away.

Lesson learned: secure your batteries better and don't rely solely on the foam to hold it securely in place.
Rubber band over canopy and a Velcro strap around the battery. There is a technique described in this thread where you wrap the battery in some cling wrap, put a velcro strap around it (many ways of creating the strap) and hot glue it inside the nose - remove battery when glue is set. Or put some Velcro on floor of batt compartment and attach velcro to battery.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by shahram72
Thanks for that. I had no idea how to attach a strap. New project!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by victapilot
Just thumbing through...
I wrap as above, then add a piece of 1/32 ply. Then attach Velcro strap and glue in place with gorilla glue. The strap is then embedded between the ply floor and the foam.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by Firepower
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I wrap as above, then add a piece of 1/32 ply. Then attach Velcro strap and glue in place with gorilla glue. The strap is then embedded between the ply floor and the foam.
I do not like too many battery hold down methods but that is a good one.

But I am still putting sticky tape over the LiPo. One day I'll do it. Too many other things to do.

That gorilla glue works wonders in certain places.
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:03 PM.