Aug 20, 2019, 10:49 AM
simple question, is the new release AXN better, worse or just same as the original?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 10:57 AM
Its the same foam with different motor and servos that are about the same as the original.

Its sold as a kit with servos installed and fuselage glued together, wings assembled etc, just glue on stabiliser and rubber and add a receiver.

As far as i can tell, there are no spare parts available. So don't crash it !
Aug 20, 2019, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB99
Its the same foam with different motor and servos that are about the same as the original.

Its sold as a kit with servos installed and fuselage glued together, wings assembled etc, just glue on stabiliser and rubber and add a receiver.

As far as i can tell, there are no spare parts available. So don't crash it !
I will give it a miss, its gone up in price by more than a new motor
Aug 22, 2019, 04:10 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
So what are the recommendations here regarding the reincarnated AXN vs. the Bixler 1.1 or the Bixler 3 for the newly returning flyer?

I'm just getting back into flying after an 8ish year hiatus, and currently only have my well loved Harbor Freight Wild Hawk (with flapperons mod) that has seen better days. I'm looking for a new airplane with similar gentle flying characteristics to retrain my thumbs on.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:01 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
So what are the recommendations here regarding the reincarnated AXN vs. the Bixler 1.1 or the Bixler 3 for the newly returning flyer?

I'm just getting back into flying after an 8ish year hiatus, and currently only have my well loved Harbor Freight Wild Hawk (with flapperons mod) that has seen better days. I'm looking for a new airplane with similar gentle flying characteristics to retrain my thumbs on.
The Bix 3 is a really nice glider/all rounder - has wheels for landing and landing practice - is easy to assemble and very forgiving. It has flaps but almost doesn't need them. I think there are floats as an option??

The Bix 1.1 is a great beginner power glider - gentle & forgiving - In my opinion the best all round glider/flyer of the 3

AXN is the quickest of the 3 (stock form) and is a little susceptible to tip stall at slow speed turns. I think the AXN has the biggest envelope of flight options (and I have a huge affection for them so I am a bit biased)

If you are planning on moving on to other planes say with landing gear and balsa (electric of fuel) the Bix 3 is probably your best platform.

If you are more inclined to glide then either of the other 2 depending on how much you trust yourself to learn throttle control - none of these 3 planes is
perfect and the best option is always to hook up with someone who can help you get your fingers back and gain confidence

Having said all that ....
A simulator is almost obligatory for getting your fingers working
Aug 24, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:

I've flown the AXN and B1.1, and would take the AXN hands down.

It's just such a shame they don't sell them with just the motor like they did before. You could really build a nice one that way.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:04 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Mutha: Thanks for the rundown. For me ROG won't be a thing so the only appeal of the Bix 3 for me was the longer wing.

Back in the day it seemed that most of the ppl on the Wild Hawk thread moved to the AXN Clouds Fly, so I have a built-in bias towards it. But then I looked up Xjet's old build video of the original version, and he permanently glued on the wings.

I'd much prefer an airplane I can break down for transport. It wasn't on my original list, but I'm also looking at the Bix 2.

Hobbymods: What is it about the AXN that makes it the hands-down winner for you? Have you flown this new version? IIRC the original Cluds Fly had a 2200kv motor and 5x5 prop, just like the new HK version. The original had the O ring prop attachment, but the new one has a collet, which is a plus to me.

The new PNP version has a 30a esc and I presume HK 9 gram servos. They can't be worse than the original servos in the HF Wild Hawk.
Last edited by F-111 John; Aug 25, 2019 at 08:16 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Mutha: Thanks for the rundown. For me ROG won't be a thing so the only appeal of the Bix 3 for me was the longer wing.

Back in the day it seemed that most of the ppl on the Wild Hawk thread moved to the AXN Clouds Fly, so I have a built-in bias towards it. But then I looked up Xjet's old build video of the original version, and he permanently glued on the wings.

I'd much prefer an airplane I can break down for transport. It wasn't on my original list, but I'm also looking at the Bix 2.

Hobbymods: What is it about the AXN that makes it the hands-down winner for you? Have you flown this new version? IIRC the original Cluds Fly had a 2200kv motor and 5x5 prop, just like the new HK version. The original had the O ring prop attachment, but the new one has a collet, which is a plus to me.

The new PNP version has a 30a esc and I presume HK 9 gram servos. They can't be worse than the original servos in the HF Wild Hawk.
I don't know mate, I flew both and owned 2 AXN's. The AXN's just flew excellently and I really enjoyed them.

I did mention building my own, which was what I did. Don't know what's in the new ones, but they still got good reviews it seems.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:15 PM
Quote:

I have the new AXN - it is still a great value for money package and I would be lost without an AXN in my hanger...

Having said that I was going to mention the Bix 2 but decided against it because you didn't include it in your list.
You are really on the wrong thread for all this - I am with Hobbymods the AXN is fantastic value for money and a great flying bird the Bix 1 and Bix 2 are just a little more stable at low speed.
In reality what ever you choose you won't be disappointed.
All of these planes are much better with the wings permanently attached putting them together all the time will weaken them and likely change the flight characteristics.
Bix 2 no flaps and just fly it or the AXN and fly it ... you won't go wrong with either.
Be daring and grab an AXN and let us know how it goes!!!
Aug 26, 2019, 02:32 AM
Mutha's spot on. Can't really lose with this format of plane.
I bought the AXN as my first plane. Glued the wings on as per Xjets videos and my AXN is still going strong several years later. It's not that big a plane so fits easily in my smaller car (Corolla).

For anyone in Adelaide Aus.. there's a BNIB original kit AXN for sale for $75 on Gumtree.
Sep 02, 2019, 03:05 AM
I have the new AXN and have just used a bit of tape to stop the wings popping out ever time I land. Don't think you need to glue the wings on in my opinion.

Has anyone tried to get the ESC out of the new AXN? Would be nice to remove it and add a 30a esc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sep 02, 2019, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp106
I have the new AXN and have just used a bit of tape to stop the wings popping out ever time I land. Don't think you need to glue the wings on in my opinion.

Has anyone tried to get the ESC out of the new AXN? Would be nice to remove it and add a 30a esc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I always found that tape wore loose and the wings would move a little in flight.
What I used was a couple of dabs of hot glue on the top of each wing which was easy to peel off if needed and the wings didn't move - just about 1/2 an inch or a cm and a bit.

I haven't tried to remove it - is it glued down? ... I didn't even notice.

Quick Reply