Mar 14, 2012, 11:45 PM
Has any of you had problems with shipping form HobbyKing? I've been buying from them quite regularly and ordered a Phoenix 2000 with lots of extra's. Something was backordered and took a while before they announced it was shipped. According to the tracker through Hong Kong post it was processed for departure on the 7th of this month and seems to be stuck there. Is this normal? Usual time from ordering to front door is 18 to 21 days (Hope BC Canada)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2012, 01:53 AM
I've had one shipment stuck for a week like that. Most recent order was shipped the day after purchase though (small stuff)
Mar 15, 2012, 02:39 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcclure440
The wings on my older AXN were broken so many times I decided what the heck and used it to make the first (maybe?) twin AXN during this winters boredom. Thus the crazy color scheme. The mid wing is carbon reinforced on bottom and made by joining the two inner wings of my original AXN as well as the stabilizer. 2rudder servos-2 stabilzer servos and original wing servos, lengthened and joined spar rod, basically two AXN's in one.

Using 2 Corona receivers with 2 ESCs and 2 lipos. Tried the one receiver method with 2 esc's with one data wire disabled but engines would not sync right no matter what I did. With 2 receivers they are now in Sync.....Now to see how well it flies. I'am sure I can get at least a 20 foot flight out of it...Ha!
wow ...
Mar 15, 2012, 02:46 AM
Argue for your limitations
Quote:
<SNIP>

Using 2 Corona receivers with 2 ESCs and 2 lipos. Tried the one receiver method with 2 esc's with one data wire disabled but engines would not sync right no matter what I did. With 2 receivers they are now in Sync.....Now to see how well it flies. I'am sure I can get at least a 20 foot flight out of it...Ha!
I have done that many times. What I do is use a "Y" cable to both ESC's and put single end into either receiver. Also, a "Y" connector should work for everything and use only one receiver.
Oh, I use a separate LiPo for each motor.
AJ
Mar 15, 2012, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Using 2 Corona receivers with 2 ESCs and 2 lipos. Tried the one receiver method with 2 esc's with one data wire disabled but engines would not sync right no matter what I did. With 2 receivers they are now in Sync.....

Actually when using twin ESCs what you have to remove is the power cable (red) of one of them.. not the signal..
The thing is each ESC has a BEC providing 5V wich feeds the entire system..so when using 2 ESC its recomended to remove one of the BEC power lines so only one is feeding the system to avoid interference between them .. but the signal wire (white/yellow) is bifurqued into both of them.. so do the ground (black) wire..

Also if you feel more advanced or experimenting you can setup one of the throotles into a diferent chanel ... mix it to the other and make a mix wich changes power between them when using rudder so you also would have diferential thrust to use.. ..

Tought they seem fairly close so probably it wouldnt be much worth as in a TwinStar
Mar 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycashley
What is the general consensus on the stock speed control? Is it worth using and if it fails is it typically only the motor or do you lose the radio too?

Another issue is that I thought I was getting this from the US warehouse but it came from China. Is there something I'm missing on how to get it in the US and avoid the high shipping?
use the us wherehouse
dont buy the one with electronics buy the electronics your self if they are bad hobbyking wont do sh*t for you. I sent all the electronics back because the esc was sending 11 volts to the servos which of course burnt them ( they smoked)
they keep closing my service tickets. I have waited over 3 months for a response. If I ever buy something from them again it will be just this axn body never anything else.

If your reading this hobby king my cyber campaign to tell everyone how you cheat customers is in full effect ill take these down as soon as you credit me for my problem. Your customer service sucks!
Mar 15, 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton
I had a lockup while performing a spin with the PNF version. If you cut the heat wrap off the speed control, hot glue the corners of the heat sink and move it to the front. I went out again and did the spin without any problems.
I upgraded anyway to a 30 Amp 3A ESC and put the 2A in my Yak-54 for the ignition so don't throw it away!! The new ESC is floating above my battery and had no issues with it.
My second build for a friend we put in a 25 Amp 3A ESC, mounting it behind the servos. Within 30 seconds after launch the motor quits, controls non responding.. all comes back shortly thereafter. I moved it up front to the side.
thats one tight cockpit!
I put my esc behind the servos and the receiver above the servos on that wall
Mar 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
I am thinking about changing out the motor to something with some more power, and at the same time be quieter. When I' am flying at my field i feel like i am bothering all the local runners and hikers with my gas edge trimmer like sound.

I dont want to change the motor mount. So i'm hoping on a direct fit to the 11 mm shaft ( is that right?) or if anyone has found a direct fit oblong motor mount.

What kv motor should i be looking at for the 6x4 props i have been using?
If i get a lower kv motor will it not fly?
Mar 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI
Actually when using twin ESCs what you have to remove is the power cable (red) of one of them.. not the signal..
The thing is each ESC has a BEC providing 5V wich feeds the entire system..so when using 2 ESC its recomended to remove one of the BEC power lines so only one is feeding the system to avoid interference between them .. but the signal wire (white/yellow) is bifurqued into both of them.. so do the ground (black) wire..

Also if you feel more advanced or experimenting you can setup one of the throotles into a diferent chanel ... mix it to the other and make a mix wich changes power between them when using rudder so you also would have diferential thrust to use.. ..

Tought they seem fairly close so probably it wouldnt be much worth as in a TwinStar
Guess I did not mean to say data cable but it was the red one I disabled. Sometimes both motors would turn on ok and sometimes 1 would run and the other just sit and stutter even after programming each before I disabled the red wire.

Can't have that happen when flying as you know. Heard that some brand ESC's hooked up that way wont snyc and others will. I'am using 2 Mystery 30 Amp ESC's
Would have liked to use my Optic 6 2.4 gig receiver(s) and transmitter but just have the 72 mhz Coronas installed mainly because of $$$$ difference. So just my Laser 4 transmitter with no mixing, no nothing, but good idea on throttle.

Anyways hope to fly it in the next week so will see what happens.....Just fun to mess around with.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:21 PM

Random Thought

When I open this thing up, 3 mistakes high suddenly feels more like 1 mistake high. Definitely makes me jumpy.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I have done that many times. What I do is use a "Y" cable to both ESC's and put single end into either receiver. Also, a "Y" connector should work for everything and use only one receiver.
Oh, I use a separate LiPo for each motor.
AJ
Yep good idea.. Tried that at first but had to many y cables having to cross the mid wing at the spar and/or in cockpit (no room) but would have liked to do it that way.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone try putting any gyros from hobbyking on this thing for help with fpv? Considering ordering a few just not sure which to pick as there are a ton of choices.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
RVA
RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying
Anyone try putting any gyros from hobbyking on this thing for help with fpv? Considering ordering a few just not sure which to pick as there are a ton of choices.
I installed (2) of the GY48V's (aileron and elevator) in my Bixler. Work beautifully. $9/ea. at xheli...

See the "Gyro in Airplane" thread in the general airplane discussion here for more details.
Mar 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying
I'd order the KK board for quadcopters. There is a firmware for airplanes and it will stabilize up to 3 axis. Much better value imo.

Link

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8%5FPA%5F.html
Last edited by gumby77; Mar 15, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Mar 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton
sebikolo, I envy people with tough as nails stamina! When there's snow my plane don't fly. Brrrr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito
I am thinking about changing out the motor to something with some more power, and at the same time be quieter. When I' am flying at my field i feel like i am bothering all the local runners and hikers with my gas edge trimmer like sound.

I dont want to change the motor mount. So i'm hoping on a direct fit to the 11 mm shaft ( is that right?) or if anyone has found a direct fit oblong motor mount.

What kv motor should i be looking at for the 6x4 props i have been using?
If i get a lower kv motor will it not fly?
You'll have more options if you replace the stock mount with one of the many solutions posted here. The problem of noise is due to a small prop running high rpm. I ran a 3 blade prop for a while, a bit less noise but still loud. It might be better (quieter) with 2s and a higher pitch prop.

Quick Reply