Flying the Spyder

Cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
I have a "thin" Zippy 2200 25C , shoved as far forward as can be , still TAIL

HEAVY , time to dig out the lead

...te
Strap an iPhone 4 to the nose!

Battle scarred floater jet (4 min 37 sec)
Aug 04, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
It glides nice and straight & level with the added weight. And when the wife calls you can say "the phone was in the plane" LOL
Aug 04, 2011, 07:38 PM
Flying the Spyder
Lol. Then u loose the vid?

I wish I could post pics from my phone on here. My axn floater is an experimental with mods and all kinds of repair.
Aug 05, 2011, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I just want to say that this plane still amazes me for the price and overall performance. Ran it on some 40c 2200mah batteries and it REALLY moves. I popped in a 25c 2100mah battery and it floated so nice, and even caught some thermals.

Has anyone put an 1800mah battery in this and been able to balance it?
I have flown with a 3S 1500 mah all the way forward. CG is near the rear of the spar cover and the plane flies well. I have not applied any mods except a rubber band wing holder.

If you have the ARF Clouds Fly, not the kit, you should inspect the spar covers. One of mine started to separate from the wing after about one year. Also, the plastic motor mount began to separate from the foam pylon on mine. Both failures appeared to be failed adhesive as there was no foam-to-foam separation on the air frame.
Aug 05, 2011, 12:29 AM
Does anybody tried to install the motor &prop in the front of the plane? It would be a great chance to balance the plane without a heavier battery
Aug 05, 2011, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
I have a "thin" Zippy 2200 25C , shoved as far forward as can be , still TAIL

HEAVY , time to dig out the lead

...te
i use a turnigy 2200 25c, all the way in front, and it's balanced fine. No lead or anything extra needed.
Aug 05, 2011, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patolin View Post
Does anybody tried to install the motor &prop in the front of the plane? It would be a great chance to balance the plane without a heavier battery
That would equal buying a easyglider or so. And buying a easyglider would be a lot easier.
Aug 05, 2011, 06:20 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
Lol. Then u loose the vid?

I wish I could post pics from my phone on here. My axn floater is an experimental with mods and all kinds of repair.
Actually provided you can get the pics off the phone you can post them. Most phones nowdays allow pictures to be put on a PC and then from the PC you can make them any format you want. .. If you are using your phone to post on this site and have no other access then that is a
Aug 05, 2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patolin View Post
Just as struggleoflife said, it would be far easier to just buy a plane with the motor in the front... like a Phoenix

Apart from the work of adding a firewall and bolting the motor to it.. it would need quite a lof of structural work to reinforce the nose section so it can wistand vibrations and the pull from the motor.

With this plane is easy.. 1800-2200 Lipo 3S in the nose more or less forward and it will be balanced right on
Aug 05, 2011, 08:46 AM
Argue for your limitations

But, for the adventureous...

Fun Plane...
Aug 05, 2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Fun Plane...

Looks like if a Gentle Lady would had crashed into a EZ*
Aug 05, 2011, 02:56 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Fun Plane...
OMG!!! AJ!!! What have you done!! (nice ribs)
Aug 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Got my AXN today...ordered on 7/24 USA!
Except for the poor instructions it was well packed and in excellent condition.
I didn't know what to expect but I'm very pleased with the quality!
It will be a week or two before I can build it, I have to other projects to finish up.
In the mean time I'll order some servos and a 30A ESC.
Aug 06, 2011, 07:01 AM
And at last today the flying field was open and there was no wind at all in the morning so i could perform a proper test on the newly powered CF..

It rocks! All tests were done with the 6X4.. i will test the 5X5 next day (to see what i gain in speed).. the climbing is definitily better than when it was newer with the stock and the 6X4.. it can climb vertically practically unlimited.. you let it climb and it goes up 90º .. sometimes it seems like its going to fall but a small correction and keeps going..

Speed is great too.. tought somehow doesnt seem as fast as new with the 5X5 but that should make sense..

And also i love to just fly arround this plane with flaps down at 25% power, it floats and goes soft and smooth arround .. and easy to control if you use the aileron-rudder mix (or just use both manually)

Also tried inverted with the mix on.. and as mentioned here even despite being inverted the rudder really helps turning and stabilizing it like if it was ailerons.. (due to the dihedral tips)..
Disapointment: I havent been able yet to take off from gound.. the grass was short but dense ..and the CF did began a run but it just cant pick up speed like it did before.. maybe i should try a 5X5? It probable doesnt make sense (a 6X4 should provide better thrust and aceleration) but i renember this plane being able to take off from grass when it was new and with the stock 5X5

Paralel note 1: One of my lipos, actually the second one , a 2200 Turnigy 20C is definitily a bit "inflated".. it has "grown" 2mm to each side and its somehow softy to the touch..
Should i be worried with it?

Paralel note 2: Today i picked up my new "experiment" a Hawk Sky (tought it seems like its an EZ Hawk with rudder installed).. wich will be an all round experiment plane.. it allready came with the wing tips flatened.. and i will try it that way.. but my idea is chop the wing tips and try it that way to see if it gains much agility and still being a resistant plane.. and probably eventually will end up being an FPV ship as it has more room than the CF....
I could perform the experiments on the CF.. but somehow i like the CF like it is
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Aug 06, 2011 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply