Mar 02, 2017, 03:43 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla
Hey Guys,
I've been flying my AXN for some time now and finally the magnets are coming lose from the motor. I haven't lost any yet, but I know that I'm flirting with disaster. I'm looking to upgrade the motor (or would it be better to stick with an new stock one). I'm looking for more speed out of it. Will moving up to a 6x4 be enough? What motor (other than the stock one) would you recommend? Thank you for your advice.

Tony
I found this to be a good replacement. Pulls a 6x4 easily.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/d2826-6-...ner-motor.html

Nigel.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2017, 06:54 PM
You will need a 40 amp ESC for that motor.
Mar 03, 2017, 12:23 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Hey Guys,
I've been flying my AXN for some time now and finally the magnets are coming lose from the motor. I haven't lost any yet, but I know that I'm flirting with disaster. I'm looking to upgrade the motor (or would it be better to stick with an new stock one). I'm looking for more speed out of it. Will moving up to a 6x4 be enough? What motor (other than the stock one) would you recommend? Thank you for your advice.

Tony
You can fairly easily fix the magnets . . .
See in my blog there is a set of pictures with explanations ... here
Mar 03, 2017, 11:27 PM
Waiting for the next clear day
Magnets all glued back on. Motor still runs fine. We'll see how it goes.
Tony
Mar 05, 2017, 10:09 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Magnets all glued back on. Motor still runs fine. We'll see how it goes.
Tony
Should be just fine,
'till it's not
Mar 13, 2017, 11:16 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi there,

I maidened mine last saturday.
All was Ok except the fact that when the glider is correctly set to fly level with engine Off, she point her nose down as soon as i apply more than 50% throttle.

It seems to be a common fact on the AXN Floater Jet / Clouds Fly - i guess a bad engine's thrust line setting ?

The Cam and VTx joined the OSD in the plane on sunday.
I still have to build her a landing gear and she will be ready for FPV sessions
Mar 13, 2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hi there,

I maidened mine last saturday.
All was Ok except the fact that when the glider is correctly set to fly level with engine Off, she point her nose down as soon as i apply more than 50% throttle.
The tendency to nose over is common. I usually change the motor on mine and with that the thrust line. It still bobs a bit when I toss it but nothing serious.

Edit: The nose over is common with airplanes with this design. The Bixler and like it are the same to one degree or another.
Last edited by ladykate; Mar 13, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
Mar 13, 2017, 02:09 PM
Warbirds Lover
May be re setting the thrust line may help - does somebody found the good setting ?
Thx
Mar 14, 2017, 03:57 AM
Crashing in Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
May be re setting the thrust line may help - does somebody found the good setting ?
Thx
I used several small washers - about 1 - 1.5 mm total under the bottom motor mount screws.
Improves the thrust line by pushing the bottom out.

Doesn't remove the nose drop totally but does improve it.
Mar 14, 2017, 06:42 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thanks a lot for your input pghern !
That's exatly what i was thinking to do too but as far as i could see on a friend's Clouds fly, the genuine motor's screws are rather shorts and don't allow to add enough washers to remove the nose drop.
I may try to find longer screws but.. it may be difficult !

Cheers !
Mar 18, 2017, 01:24 AM
Hi, I've put my Axn together and I'm almost ready to maiden. This is my first plane so I'm kind of a noob. There is a lot of excess wiring in the cockpit, should I try to clean it up?
Finally, any tips/reminders before I take it out to the field, c of g, newbie mistakes, throws, flight characteristics to be aware of etc?
Ps I've been practicing on clear view so I'm ok at flying.
Mar 18, 2017, 05:13 AM
Warbirds Lover
Cog should be located under the wing's spar.
Check that all the control surfaces move in the good direction (i.e. when aileron stick is pushed on the right, the right wing aileron must be raised, elevator up when you pull backward on the elevator stick,...).
As it's a pusher, also check that the engine is rotating in the good sense and that the propeller leading edges are facing the front of the plane.

Check that all the control throws are set at least with the values given in the owner manual.

If not already done, i recommand to cut the foam used as hinges and to use some Blenderm adhesive tape to build your new hinges (Blenderm is a surgical adhesive tape made by 3M and sold in pharmacy or some RC shops). It allows to build hinges that wiil be way more soft and way more resistant than the genuine "foam molded hinges".

Check tha all the control surfaces are set at the neutral position when your TX sticks are centered.

Be careful : right from the box, the engine thrust line is no so correctly set. If you apply 100% power and throw the plane, she will dive A LOT toward the ground.
The best advice i can give you is to ask a friend to launch the plane for you, nose parallel to the ground after you applied about 50% of power, then once the plane will be in the air, increase the throttle and be ready to use the pitch stick to prevent the plane to dive when you will increase the thrust.
My Clouds Fly is fitted with a 2200mAh 3s 40c lipo + OSD + VTx + fpv cam and even with that additionnal load, she flies correctly with 50% of throttle so... don't be affraid not to fly full throttle ;-)

One last thing : Don't trust too much the rc simulators (even if they are good tools for practice) and try to find a rc pilot to assist you in your first flights. There is no "press the space bar to fly again" in real life ;-)

Oh, One last thing : secure the canopy with a rubber band , that will help not to loose it in the air.

Have fun and tell us how was the maiden !
Mar 18, 2017, 09:17 AM
Maybe try a glide test before powered flight. Get a buddy to throw it, throttle off, to give u an idea if it's trimmed okay. It allows u to familiarise yourself with the controls with very little pressure or height to do big damage.
Mar 18, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks so much!����
Wet weather here today so I'll try to maiden some time throughout the week
Apr 03, 2017, 06:02 PM

Ice Flight

Sleepy thread here...
Here's a flight from this morning:

AXN April 3 2017 FPV (2 min 7 sec)

It was FPV using a little Eachine 200mW all-in-one stuck in front of the motor pod. The video was from a separate camera under the wing, an 808 #16 D lens.
-Chris

Quick Reply