Feb 16, 2017, 03:36 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky8 View Post
I almost always buy ARF so maybe that's why I never get glue?

In any case I prefer to use a known quantity, i.e. glue I know works and which won't go brittle over time. I tried some of the HobbyKing white-tube stuff, the same stuff they claim Chineese manufacturers use and frankly it's... well, when they say snot they're not too far off.

If I were you I'd use a reputable epoxy or similar and avoid cyanoacrylate (superglue) unless it states "foam safe" on the packaging - normal superglue dissolves foam and will destroy your plane.
I have never used foam safe glue and I have had a lot of foam planes. Just buy decent planes and the ordinary CA works great. I use the thick CA and buy 5 bottles at a time. It costs a lot more if you have to go to the LHS. I have tried them all hot glue, epoxy but go back to CA. When gluing on tail planes in future I might use epoxy as sometimes you need a bit of time to get it in the right place. Then finish off the edges with CA.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/insta-cu...ue-1-2-oz.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/maxi-cur...ue-1-2-oz.html

People say it is brittle but has worked for me for many years. They make a flexible CA now but never bothered to try it.

Everyone likes different glues and if it works for you use it. But I would never glue a tail plane on with the glue that comes with the planes.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2017, 04:17 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit4u2c View Post
Hello All,
I just received my AXN Floater Jet that I ordered from Amazon. When I opened the box I noticed that the glue was missing. I sent a message to Amazon and their reply was that the glue was not included with the kit. Is this an accurate statement? When I look at all the videos and all the adds they all show the kit with glue included.

Thanks all, I'll wait to see what everyone has to say.
Lots have commented on glue but any glue that comes with planes I throw away. Someone else commented and said it was no good but others may like it. I have seen several posts over the years where tail planes have come off/loose in the air from using the glue that comes with the kits. Also some do not know how much to put on and maybe some have not put enough on and that is why they come off. I just not willing to risk it.

See my previous post and I use this to set the CA immediately.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/insta-se...ator-2-oz.html

If you are not confident using quick setting glues try epoxy. Even some kits say do not use epoxy.

Just check out what everyone has said here and decide for your self what to use as everyone likes a different glue.
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 16, 2017 at 05:43 AM.
Feb 16, 2017, 06:36 AM
Foam safe CA is crazy expensive. EPP and EPO generally take regular CA well. Some foams (Depron, coffee cup foam (what is that stuff)) tend to get attacked unless you use foam-safe. Depron is getting less common - most of the low and mid-level commercial kits come with EPO so any CA works for those. I use it for field repair (along with hot glue) but prefer a flexible glue for assembly. I buy it in either 16 or 32 ounce bottles and keep it in the shop refrigerator. It will last for years that way. You can buy bulk bottles for what a couple of ounces of foam safe cost in the stores. Just don't store it with food - a midnight raid of the fridge could tighten your jaws.

As was said, some kits say to use CA so I do that. Epoxy is great in that it allows you to move your work and has a strong bond - it is bad because your work can move and then be strongly bonded. ;-}
Feb 16, 2017, 08:12 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
See my blog for AXN build notes I use epoxy on the tail but have successfully used the glue that comes with the AXN (or used to come with it) but I have only bought from HK and another Chinese supplier that I can't remember the name of right now. The glue that comes withit is OK but epoxy is beter PU is also good if you pin it up (gorilla glue) - I'd go with careful amount of epoxy if I were starting.
Feb 26, 2017, 08:56 PM

AXN Floater Jet ESC wire broke

Hey AXN fliers,

Just finished building my AXN Floater Jet and I love how it looks. I bought some 2200mAH Venom batteries and plugged one into the ESC. Got the radio and RX binded, not sure if that's a real word, LOL. I heard a lot of beeping then it got quiet and nothing seemed to work, so I pulled the Receiver out and tried it again and it started beeping and seemed to work fine. Long story short one of the ESC power wires running to the receiver was not sufficiently soldered to the circuit board. It was touching enough to work intermittently. I opened the shrink tubing and worked my magic with some solder and everything is now good. Just a heads up everybody with a Hobby King electric speed controls, CHECK YOUR WIRES. That would have been a disaster on it's maiden flight.

Also does anyone know what the Morse code coming from the motor is telling me?
Feb 27, 2017, 12:33 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Hey AXN fliers,

Just finished building my AXN Floater Jet and I love how it looks. I bought some 2200mAH Venom batteries and plugged one into the ESC. Got the radio and RX binded, not sure if that's a real word, LOL. I heard a lot of beeping then it got quiet and nothing seemed to work, so I pulled the Receiver out and tried it again and it started beeping and seemed to work fine. Long story short one of the ESC power wires running to the receiver was not sufficiently soldered to the circuit board. It was touching enough to work intermittently. I opened the shrink tubing and worked my magic with some solder and everything is now good. Just a heads up everybody with a Hobby King electric speed controls, CHECK YOUR WIRES. That would have been a disaster on it's maiden flight.

Also does anyone know what the Morse code coming from the motor is telling me?
The 1st few beeps are initiation, then there should be 3 distinct beeps for 3 cell lipo battery, if you were using a 4 cell lipo you would get 4 etc.

Nigel.
Feb 27, 2017, 12:51 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
LOL the morse code is from the ESC but using the motor to do a beep. Tells you its arming number of lipos and possibly also the brake and other optional settings; that differ from ESC to ESC. Some even play tunes!
Feb 27, 2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks Hendnak & Chrisj800,
Glad to hear that my plane didn't have a ghost on board. I thought I had some kind of a preprogramed drone or something. LOL
I was also really surprised to see one of the wires on the ESC was not fully soldered. Man am I glad to find that one in the build shop and not at 500 feet.
Feb 27, 2017, 09:14 AM
So this plane has brakes? ??? Isn't that just for cars???? I like the good o nitro engines, simple fast, and loud. Maybe that's why I can't hear.
Feb 27, 2017, 01:26 PM
Rgtesegird Uesr
Quote:

Got the radio and RX binded, not sure if that's a real word, LOL.
Bound is the word you're looking for.

Quote:
So this plane has brakes? ??? Isn't that just for cars???? I like the good o nitro engines, simple fast, and loud. Maybe that's why I can't hear.
Props will 'windmill' once the power is cut, which can be a good thing if you're trying to slow down to land as this action will absorb energy. OTOH you might not want the prop windmilling if it is on the front of the plane (puller configuration) as there is a chance the propeller could strike the ground and sheer off.

With the ESC brake option turned on there's a good chance the prop will come to a stop at least a few degrees off absolute vertical, and in the event of clipping the ground will likely just get knocked out of the way, rather than swinging into it and getting snapped off.
Feb 27, 2017, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Err nitro, simple?

I know what you mean about the noise and smell but that's only after you can get them started............
Feb 27, 2017, 05:24 PM
Hey thanks guys. Bound Hmmm I'll remember that. Prop damage is never good.
Feb 28, 2017, 07:16 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Hey thanks guys. Bound Hmmm I'll remember that. Prop damage is never good.
LOL - Yes: Past, Present and Future tense:

With 2.4 spread spectrum wireless you need to have the transmitter (your radio) and the receiver (what all the servos plug into in the model) tuned to communicate. The process to do this is called Binding.

Future: I need to bind my model to my radio
Present: I am binding the model to my radio
Past: I have bound the model to my radio

It never hurts to Re-Bind if you make programming changes either ...
Mar 01, 2017, 09:57 AM
Wait a minute, I fully understand binding the RX and the TX. I thought Spooky8 was referring to something I had not heard of when he said bound.

I am new to electric but not to the RC world. Been doing RC since the 70's. It's all good now that I re-soldered the (new out of the box) RX wire back on the ESC board. Got a watch the China stuff.

It all looks the good on the outside.
Mar 02, 2017, 03:07 PM
Waiting for the next clear day
Hey Guys,
I've been flying my AXN for some time now and finally the magnets are coming lose from the motor. I haven't lost any yet, but I know that I'm flirting with disaster. I'm looking to upgrade the motor (or would it be better to stick with an new stock one). I'm looking for more speed out of it. Will moving up to a 6x4 be enough? What motor (other than the stock one) would you recommend? Thank you for your advice.

Tony

Quick Reply