Dec 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
New Product

AXN Floater-Jet (aka Cloud Fly)

Spotted this on Hobby City

Linky

Anyhoo....I've had two Wild Hawks, one crash test dummy and one that I've modded to brushless and managed to keep pretty straight. This looks like a great airelon trainer, especially for about $120- shipped with battery. Hobby City shipping kills me.

What say you?
Last edited by yuengling; Feb 19, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2009, 07:34 PM
Pilot not Drone Operator
I hope mine makes it here tommarow or monday. will shoot video and hope this gives the easystar a run.
Jan 01, 2009, 07:41 PM
St. Boondock
It looks like a great platform to carry a FlyCam or other small camera.
Jan 03, 2009, 02:02 PM
Pilot not Drone Operator
i receved it today and put it together. with the included 5x5 prop it pulls 17 amps at 190 watts. with a 6x4 apc it pulls 19 amps and 205 watts. i will fly it and post video.
Jan 03, 2009, 05:24 PM
Pilot not Drone Operator
i did a video review with a flight at the end. enjoy

video
Last edited by hallstudio; Jan 03, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Jan 03, 2009, 09:08 PM
I also ordered one of these... This plane has an 18-amp ESC according to the plane description on hobbycity.com. How about a glide test of the plane? I'm wondering if this plane can thermal well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstudio
Jan 04, 2009, 12:20 AM
Pilot not Drone Operator
it glides as good as my eaststar. i did have to place the 2200 3 cell 1 inch in front of the servos to make the plane fly the way i like. if you are looking to soar you might try 1 1300 as far foward as possable.
Jan 04, 2009, 02:53 AM
Excellent video hallstudio that thing is really fast. Surprised me at the speed and I'm sure your wife was trying to keep up with it too on cam Thats the only way to go is brushless. Get tired of changing out cans due to the wear of brushes. Good review, Jimmi
Jan 04, 2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the nice review. To me, this looks like a really good alternative to "modding" a stock Easy Star.

Two things I'm wondering about. How hard did you have to chuck it during the hand launch? I notice that it appeared to sink a bit before it got the speed to start climbing.

The ESC is rated at 18A yet the motor is pulling that much & more. This seems like the ESC is too small for this job. Additionally, it doesn't appear to be getting any cooling (inside the fuselage). After a long flight, does the ESC get hot?

Best regards, Richard
Jan 04, 2009, 07:40 PM
Pilot not Drone Operator
i never fly at full throttle for the hole flight and i pulled 19 amps at the start so that probably dropped to 18 amps. the fuse has great colling starting at the front and exit below the motor. it was a 1/4 throttle throw with not to much umph. all my other easystars sink also. it has to due sith the angle of the motors. if i nuke the speed controler i have more and i like to push it.
Jan 04, 2009, 08:32 PM
Quote:
i never fly at full throttle for the hole flight and i pulled 19 amps at the start so that probably dropped to 18 amps. the fuse has great colling starting at the front and exit below the motor. it was a 1/4 throttle throw with not to much umph. all my other easystars sink also. it has to due sith the angle of the motors. if i nuke the speed controler i have more and i like to push it.
Hi Hallstudio, Thanks for the reply.

Which Hobby City 2200Ma 3s battery are you using - (C) discharge & brand?

The specs on HC web site say the thing weighs 3499 grams. That's obviously wrong. Do you know the flying weight of yours?

Best regards, Richard
Last edited by rckowal; Jan 05, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Jan 06, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Hall,

My roommate just received his floater jet today. The elevator and ailerons are extremely stiff and probably need to be hinged on in order to work properly. is this something that you did to your bird before you took it out for the first time?
Jan 06, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
You are the man Hallstudio! nice vid.

All up weight?

How long you fly on the 2200mah?

Post flight concerns?

Flight characteristics, esp. versus easy star?

What is the foam like? It looks very smooth.....
Jan 06, 2009, 09:58 PM
Pilot not Drone Operator
with the elevator i flexed the crap out of it almost to the point of breaking it. i knew i could just tap it if it did. i am using zippy h 2200's and 20 min easy on mixt flying. it flys as good as an easy with alerons. if i could change anything i would make the aleons bigger. i will check cg latter and report back.
Jan 06, 2009, 10:46 PM
what kind of foam is that? It really does seem like a nice alternative to the EZ*...

Thanks!
Pete

Quick Reply