Mar 04, 2003, 07:43 AM
Thread OP

Peter Rake's 1913 Rapid

Well I'm getting close to finishing Peter's design. Here are some pics.
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2003, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
The engine is attached to the motor plate.
Mar 04, 2003, 09:37 AM
RPV builder & operator
Nice, what did you use for covering?

Are those homemade wheels? They look great.
Mar 04, 2003, 12:41 PM
Slick...

Did you make the 'engine'?
Mar 04, 2003, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
The covering is LiteSpan and Coverlite. They appear to be the same product.
The wheels are home made following an article that Pat Trittle did in one of the hobby mags a couple of years ago.
The "engine" is made from rolled paper tubes for the cylinders with fishing line as the "ribs" on the cylinders. A bit of balsa and music wire are used for the rockers. The cylinders are attached to a partial balsa ring which is attached to the motor plate.
The thrust line is a bit high so I will be making an adjustment. I'll be trying a GWS 300C motor combo on a new plate.
Thanks for the compliments. I still have some detailing to do yet. Peter's designs are great.
Dave
Mar 04, 2003, 08:19 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
That's fast work Dave. Looks great! What does it weigh so far?
Mar 04, 2003, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
I just finished making a new motor plate with the motor/gearbox thrustline lowered a bit .

Kind of throwing all the stuff inside and working on the CG the plane weighs about 19oz with a 7 cell 600AE pack.

Right now its got a speed 400 with a 2.33:1 (2.5:1?) gearbox ( I have to go back and count the pinion gear again). My Eastbourne flies very well on a Mini-Olympus 2.33:1 /7cell combination. So this one ought to perform the same. I'm planning on trying a GWS 300C in it also.

BTW the wood finish is just that-stained balsa with a couple coats of polycrylic. The black "metal work" is just gloss black airbrushed on the sanded balsa.
Dave
Mar 05, 2003, 09:54 AM
Dave,
Nice work mate, really nice work. At this rate, I can see I'll have to get a move on with those Sommer plans.

Pete
Mar 06, 2003, 09:01 AM
Over Engineered
Nice looking model.

I keep seeing all this detail and it makes me want to add more to my models.

Just crusing around looking at all the PR designs being built.
Mar 06, 2003, 02:36 PM
Those wheels look fantastic, is that article published anywhere?

Lawrence
Mar 06, 2003, 10:41 PM
Dottney,

Great looking model, you've done a terrific job of it. I love this period of aircraft and you've really done this Rapid justice.
Mar 07, 2003, 07:49 AM
Thread OP
Ian,
Thanks for the compliment. This may be a case of closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out but do you have any info on the Rapid? Peter and I had almost nothing on it. I finished it in a scheme that seems right for the period but I have no idea what the real plane looked like.
Dave
Mar 07, 2003, 09:31 AM
I'll check the archives and see what I have.
Mar 07, 2003, 09:42 AM

Peter Rake's 1913 Rapid

Wow!! That's a beauty.
Look forward to seeing it fly.

Congrats.
Mar 07, 2003, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Here's a better pic (outside) of the completed 1913 Rapid. The sun is out, the wind is down, I just have to find an empty plowed parking lot where I can land it. As you see we still have too much snow pack to land a wheeled plane on.
Thanks to all for the compliments.
Dave

Quick Reply