Dec 21, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Floater G-110 Laser cut proto kit build.

I'm not a pro at either the computer nor experienced at participating in build threads. That being said, I have some pictures and thoughts to offer on the build of the kit for the G-110 that Berry Nellums is developing. As is the case with Gobug, the other builder, it was my first RC sailplane also.

I have been away from building for some time and almost forgotten how much fun cutting, sanding, and gluing can be. This project is a laser cut kit and as such minimizes the time required for cutting and sanding.

I hope the picture posting works out well. If anyone has any questions regarding the build, feel free to post online and I will try to respond.

My initital inpression of the kit was that it was well packaged and a good selection of woods and good laser cutting. Although some of the laser cuts might require some changes. The wood was bundled as to the part it went into. Stab, Wing spars, sheet stock etc.

My first step was to remove the laser cut parts from their sheets and sort the ribs by inboard and outboard panels . I took time to lightly sand the bottom of all ribs and maintain in their respective bundles. The purpose being to remove some of the burn residue from the edges and to assure any retainer pieces were removed too.

The next thing for me was to proceed with gluing the 1/16 doublers in place on the wing spars. About this time I discovered that the spars are slightly oversize as relating to the original plans. A minor problem that necessitates deepening the spar slots in the ribs to fir. Actually from the structure standpoint, it add some strength to the wing. Not sure how it will wash out on the final kit.
Last edited by ronrange; Dec 22, 2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add Category to the post
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ron I am glad to see you starting your build on the G-110. I feel very lucky that I have two ole pros doing this for me. As I understand it the Floater was your first
sailplane as it was Tinkerplots and also my first. I feel very lucky to have my Cad
designer doing a build and critiquing the kit. Ron has promised that the Cad will be adjusted as needed to accomadate any changes. I don't want any customer to have
to sand or alter any parts just to make them fit other than perhaps a little light sanding
thats normal with any model building project. Thanks again Ron just keep your notes
on the rib notches as we will address ths issue later.

Condor-60
Dec 24, 2008, 07:18 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Looking good Ron.
Dec 24, 2008, 12:27 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Ron:

It is good to have both you and Tink building the same plane at the same time. It gives different perspectives. I am watching you both to see how they turn out.....and because Berry won't sell a kit until he knows it is right....so I have to wait for you guys to get finished

FC
Dec 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

Condor-60
Dec 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Some progress on the G110 build. After all the turkey and ham and dressing and deserts, I managed some time to accomplish some of the attached. So far, all is going well with only a couple of CAD glitches that have been corrected on the file. If you have a sharp eye you might be able to find one of them.
Dec 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
Damn ole man your looking good,any serious problems yet.

Condor-60
Dec 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Nice Ron all is looking well,now we just need to give tink a kick in the but so he gets going.
Dec 27, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Yeah, yeah!!! Must be nice to have all that extra time to play. Guess being retired has its advantages. I am catching up though. Fuselage has been started. Picks later today. Had to borrow a computer, since we are tracking down a virus in mine with all the pictures. Just some minor issues to deal with. Nothing big that a little sanding will not take care of. I almost forgot how big this bird really is after I got the stab together. Sure did not look that big 35 years ago.

Anyway, Ron, looking very good. Not to far behind you. Great to see the pictures that you have going.

Got all the pieces punched out last night. Starting on the them today after I get some sleep. Have a couple of minor house repairs then the fuselage will go together. Building is really going well. No big issues to speak of....

Keep going Ron. You may be done before me, unless I kick it into gear. Rather build tight then as so so job. Berry will like it.
Dec 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Looking good Ron. Can we have some shots of the boom as well? I assume it's spruce, what stops it whipping side to side?

Ain't laser kits great? I remember the days before diecrunching when we used to get parts printed on the balsa, and you had to cut them out by hand. I used a Stanley knife for my first one!

Nick
Dec 27, 2008, 06:05 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Yah Ron, that stab does look big. How wide is it anyway ? Your doing a fine job, I'll keep watching as well.

Bob in Seattle
Dec 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
Ron,
For your glitches are you talking about the slot for the rubber band in the stab not being cut through to form the slot? Or is it the notch for the stab in the Fin? Or the little tweak in the elevator at the trailing edgae. May be just camera angle on that one. Have finished sanded the elevator yet? Could be I am just seeing things here.

Bob, Stab is 27" across

Nick, 1/4 square spruce alll the way to the tail, 1/16' plywood sides. Stops the whipping from the way it goes into the fuselage. may be overkill by todays standards. Very strong structure for what it is, Never had a problem with either of the two that I had in some 15 years with them. And I really abused them.
Contest flying and general fun flying for the most part. Never chipped , cracked or broke the main fuselage and boom.

Lyle
Dec 28, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thread OP

G110 boom assy

Some pictures showing steps in assembling the boom for the fuse. Again patience and prefitting and sanding will serve you well. My experience is that even though laser cut, the ply due to not being perfectly flat will result in not perfectly straight edges. his was observed on the top and bottom of the boom sides. NOt a major problem .

Ex

Quick Reply