Dec 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
Discussion

Storage racks for our smaller electric planes?

I have a collection of smaller electric planes (40" or less wing span), and I'm looking to store them in my workshop in an efficient manner so that they won't be damaged. I know there are "wing racks" out there for storage of larger glow planes (60 sized and up - this one for example), I have 2 60-sizers and store them that way. However, the smaller electrics (like my small electric Pitts, FunJets, and other foam planes) still sit around on tables, shelves, and floors, and I'm just looking for ideas on how to better store them to minimize "hangar rash".

My "workshop" is actually my unfinished basement, so I have exposed I-joists (floor joists) that I could potentially use for hanging racks or suspended shelving, but the electrics are tricky since some don't even have tails (i.e. delta wings). Is hanging them from strings the best option?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have seen where foamies are stored by string down to the tail and a loop around the tail. I have seen where they have a hole in the foam above CG and a little string tied thru there with a loop so a string from the ceiling with a hook hangs the foamy. The string from a wall or rafter can be held by a pin or nail.
Dec 21, 2008, 02:50 PM
Balsa to the Wall
I hang mine by the props using bungee cords.

Chuck
Dec 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
Lou
Lou
PVC pipe is used by many to build storage racks with. I have seen plenty of pictures of these racks, but I don't recall which forum it is in.

Depending on space available, you could build an upright rack that is bolted to the wall. Have horizontal arms that come out, with the arms being just a bit wider than the body. This way the plane is supported by the wings but from close in to the fuse.
Dec 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
I hang my planes from floor joists using copper pipes joined into two parellel "L"s. The tops of the "L"s are joined with a piece of pipe across thier tops and that piece is attached to the joists. The bottom of the "L"s cradle the wings and foam insulation pieces help prevent hanger rash. Plastic pipe would work equally well.
Dec 21, 2008, 09:48 PM
Picture hanger hooks (or nails) in the wall with the fomies hung by the prop with a rubber bands.
Dec 21, 2008, 11:08 PM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
Thanks for all the tips so far - I've hung my FunJets from peg board using a couple of round hooks and spacing them so that I can hang them from their props, seems to work fine. Just need to decide on how to hang a couple of small Pitts biplanes - I'll probably put a couple of nails in those I-Joists and hang them with strings around each wing to keep them out of harms way...
Dec 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
Testing since 78
I have made a few racks. The one that works the best is, 2x4 with holes drilled every 3" and using 1/4" fiberglass dowels. I can adjust for different shaped planes. I can put up to 16 or 17 planes (single wing) with 8" ceilings. Sorry for the crappy pix, had to use old camera.

Fly-On.............Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
Dec 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
Suspended Account
Buy a 2X4. Buy a 5/8" to 3/4" wooden dowel. Cut the dowels to 18" lengths. Cut the 2X4 to 12" lengths. Drill 2 holes in your 2X4 for the dowels. Stick the dowels in the holes (glue might be required). Mount the 2X4 on the wall.

My 18" sticks hold 3 - 4 planes each. I have 5 right now. I need to make room for #6.

Notice the middle rack was installed lower on the wall to hold jets and hydrofoils...
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Dec 22, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
Dec 23, 2008, 02:24 PM

Tilted Plane Rack

Here's a picture of a tilted plane rack that stores models a little more compactly.
Dec 23, 2008, 03:43 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Here's my rack. I used adjustable shelving pieces and PVC pipe. This way I can adjust the "arms" as my aircraft collection changes. The PVC pipe just has a slit cut in the bottom of it and slides over arms that are meant to hold shelves.

-Jay
Dec 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP

Plane rack completed...

First off, thanks for submitting photos of your plane racks, they all look great and certainly do the job. I ended up going with something similar to Crashtester - I constructed my plane rack out of 2x4 studs and 5/8" hardwood (oak) dowel rods, drilled 5/8" holes with my drill press every 3".

I kept the math simple - bought several 96" (8 foot) 2x4 studs, used full length studs on the top and bottom of the rack, and cut the rest in half so they were 48". This allowed for 15 5/8" holes 3" apart, with a hole exactly 3" from the top and bottom of the 48" stud, worked out very well mathematically. I drilled the 5/8" holes about 3" deep into the 2x4 stud from the side. The 5/8" dowels fit in snug. The rack spacing for the smaller electrics was 16", for the larger glow planes (on the right in the photo), I spaced the racks 22" apart. Everything is held together with 3" deck screws. I also used 3" deck screws to fix the entire rack to a floor I-Joist, so that the rack is suspended 48" down from the bottom of the I-Joist. Materials cost about $40 total (lumber, deck screws, and dowel rods), and I spent ~3 hours cutting and assembling everything.

Thanks again for the suggestions and photos of your plane racks. Very helpful!
Dec 24, 2008, 01:52 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Remember you can put foam over the dowels to protect the finish of your airplanes. Looks like you did a very good job of taking all the suggestions and making what would work for your space. I really like all the suggestions with the pictures. Who would of thought that there were that many ways to to build storage racks. I must have been asleep somewhere.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Dec 24, 2008, 10:28 PM
GreeneAeroFlyers
I used standard shelf brackets with foam pipe insulation to protect the wings.

Ken

Quick Reply