Mar 03, 2003, 06:41 PM

some opinions please - x32

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I check in here regularly and have to say, I find your interest, enthusiasm, and technical ability a real motivator and very refreshing. It is fun to come in and just read the posts to see what you all are up to.

Anyhow, I have embarked on a scratchbuilt x-32 program. I chopse to model the conventional tail version, which was never flown/built by Boeing because the v-tail variants were already under construction. As of now, the bird is planned at 38" wingspan (approximately 1/12 scale). I used Boeing 3-views to generate a model in Solidworks 3D cad and it is coming along real nice. (I will post pictures tomorrow). Construction will be laser cut lite-ply and balsa.

The questions:

- The real plane has anhedral (opposite of dihedral) and I am unsure as to whether or not I should incorporate this into the model or just go with no-hedral (??)
- As of now I have a flat bottom airfoil...everyone think this is ok?
- What sort of wing loading should I be shooting for to keep this plane from being a handful to fly?
- Any thoughts as to which fan to use? i am thinking Wemotec 730 with Jeti phasor 15-3.....any thoughts?

I have never designed a plane before so this should be interesting. I plan to make my 'chuck' glider this weekend. I will report back how it goes.

-ben
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2003, 07:01 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!

There are TWO of us that like this aircraft!

The one that I had planned was about 1/12 scale too. You could go with a little anhedral. I built a AV-8B with anhedral and had no problems with it.

The PWSC F-32 was to have a thick wing so I would stay away from a flat bottom. A semi-symmetrical type would be in order.

HW730 in a 47in airframe sounds like a winner to me
Mar 03, 2003, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but not with a 15-3!

The 730 runs nice on a Mega 22-45-2 on 18-20 HR-2600 cells.
Mar 03, 2003, 08:24 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
hehe......missed that one Chris thanks
Mar 03, 2003, 10:04 PM
Purple power
hey, kev has a new friend .............g
Mar 03, 2003, 10:34 PM
It wasn't me...
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Cox
There are TWO of us that like this aircraft!
After seeing it so much on the X-32 vs. X-35 program, the X-32 has been kind of growing on me. So, I guess you and me and ben makes it three.

I can't say that I'd build one, but you never know what the future holds in store.

Dan
Mar 03, 2003, 10:54 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Guys
I guess I'm old school, It is an UGLY airplane , Give me the early era jets...
Ben & Kevin, Good luck in your indevors a 90 mm New Schubi might be a fan to try

Semper Fi
Joe
Mar 04, 2003, 05:26 AM
whats an X32?......................

Good luck with the project........waiting for the pictures......

Doc
Mar 04, 2003, 08:04 AM

x-32 pictures - preliminary

Hey guys,

Just some CAD shots of the plane so far. They are .tif files, I hope you can all see them ok.
Mar 04, 2003, 08:06 AM

x-32 pic

another pic..
Mar 04, 2003, 08:10 AM

x-32

another...
Mar 04, 2003, 08:30 AM

whoops

I had to convert them to jpeg....disregard that reference to .tif files
Mar 04, 2003, 10:55 AM
I must get those corel drawings to you some time......

Will try tonight @ 10.pm GMT

It shows some of my 'guessed' sections
Mar 04, 2003, 01:26 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Ben, the last front view not only looks like a Canadian goose on landing aproach, but it,,, its,,,, smileing at me! .
Good work,,, keep going!
Mar 06, 2005, 07:29 PM
If anyone is interested I have plans for X-32A and X35C. I have two sizes of X-32's

Here is a link, if you are interested: http://home.att.net/~mgmccaffrey/ma/x32.htm