Mar 03, 2003, 06:26 PM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP

Jasper Texas

Just thought I'd let you Texans know. We're working on a movie about that guy that was dragged to death in '98.

Pretty fair movie, so don't get all riled with Hollywood before you see it. It makes it clear that small town Texas isn't full of backwards hillbillys. Jon Voigt plays the sherrif Billy Rowles. Makes him look good.

Funny thing is quite a few of the actors are from Canada. Canadians doing Texas drawl.
Mar 03, 2003, 09:43 PM
For 13 years, I lived in small town southeast Texas during the 1970 to 1980s (my folks still live in SE Texas). I knew people who lived there and I had several opportunities to go to Jasper with our school band. (My school played their school in high school football.) No offense, but the hick quotient in Jasper was pretty high. I also saw nightly protests and negative comments on the news by people who were against the “integration movement”, even just a few years ago. It was pretty darn ugly. According to people I know who still live there (my wife’s relatives), it has improved, but not much.

Here is an article that mentions some of the problems: http://journalism.fas.nyu.edu/pubzon...ass/jasper.htm
Mar 08, 2003, 12:10 PM
the prison system here is a racism factory... there are three powerful inmate gangs, essentially white, black and latino

very few men in prison fail to join one of these groups
Mar 08, 2003, 12:15 PM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP
Interesting. They made that point in the movie as well. One of the Murderers apparently had no racist leanings until he went to jail for car theft or whatever.
Mar 08, 2003, 12:44 PM
Motley crewmember
"very few men in prison fail to join one of these groups"

Thats not a matter of racism, its a matter of survival.
Mar 10, 2003, 01:17 AM
Sounds like you need a new system, come to think of it so do we, our problem is far too many Aboriginals killing themselves in Gaol, even when only in for short sentances, 6 to 12 months. It amounts to systematic abuse, sounds like your system does too.

hugh
Mar 10, 2003, 09:07 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Quote:
Originally posted by lymon
the prison system here is a racism factory... there are three powerful inmate gangs, essentially white, black and latino

very few men in prison fail to join one of these groups
I've heard the same thing from Dept. of Corrections guys. I would be for segregation of inmates, at least for a trial run in a few prisons.
Mar 10, 2003, 09:28 AM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Oneson1
Sounds like you need a new system, come to think of it so do we, our problem is far too many Aboriginals killing themselves in Gaol, even when only in for short sentances, 6 to 12 months. It amounts to systematic abuse, sounds like your system does too.

hugh
Only in the sense that too many convicts are left to there own devices (Idle hands are the Devil's tool shop) and their only way to pass the time is to lift weights and a continuation of the same behaviour that got them thrown in prison in the first place.

Plus, we have a huge amount of people in jail for drug offenses, which just adds to the population, without really impacting drug use in the U.S.

The biggest problem is too many people in jail and the opinion that "Rehabilitation" never works. All the prisons are run "For profit" which mean they work just about as well as our airport baggage screening system did.

Quick Reply