Dec 21, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bryon f16 e-dynamax the dynabyro fan

Hi guys, thought I would see what you guys think about converting this byron f16 with a e dynamax. two options available 13lbs or 16lbs of thrust. both will run on 12 cells, right now the planes AUW is 12 1/2 lbs, my plan would be to redo the byron fans bulkhead to fit the dynamax and just run it with and intake ring. Or dont bother and just convert the byron fan. any witch way this should only take a day or two to do. what do you think guys any suggestion would be appreciated. paul
Last edited by eazyp2; Jan 03, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2008, 01:41 AM
A-4 nut!!
There was a chap in england who made a conversion kit for the Byron to run on a Dynamax/OS91. He made and sold new intake and exhaust ducting. Someone may know who he is.

If you don't make ducting for it - it would be a waste of money and power putting the dynamax in it as you would need more power to overcome the lack of ducting. It would be a nice model with the ducting - but if you can't get any and don't want to make it - go with the E-Byron conversion.
Dec 21, 2008, 03:41 AM
Classic jets rule
Gad those were messy ..i never liked how the fan just sprayed the oil everwhere...16 lbs of thrust would be nice
Dec 21, 2008, 06:32 AM
guillows basher!!
if done e-dynamax would you eliminate the cheater? and if yes then i would think you would need intake duct,maybe mod a splitter in front of the nose gear mount,another thing, is there enough fsa to use the intake?i'm also reconditioning a byron f-16,did the e-convert about 3yrs ago using the hacker setup,ran it on 11s 4000mah,auw was 14lbs,flew ok but nothing to write home about,i was only getting 10.8lbs. of thrust and i attribute that to the batts i had at the time(maxamps)it actually had more authority with the glow .91,so i'll be eagarly watching what you decide on,i'm right now removing 6 cotes of paint the reason i kept her so long is its a kittykat to takeoff and land+looks nice in the air....what motor and batts will you use if you go byron route?i have both fans and was wondering about the dynamax myself
Dec 21, 2008, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
well if I went with the byron fan,I would consider going with the e turbine motor from hacker, in a rcu forum a guy is reporting 17lbs of thrust. looks very promising but no flight report as of yet that I know of.
Dec 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
suggestion...build a new bulkhead and lip for the fan, take the fan out of the A-4 and put it in the f-16...then lets go fly.
Dec 21, 2008, 10:30 AM
dare to be dull
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
suggestion...build a new bulkhead and lip for the fan, take the fan out of the A-4 and put it in the f-16...then lets go fly.
Yeah, if it's just a day or two to drop in there, give it a try. You can get in-depth with ducting,etc if the first try isn't up to par.
Dec 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
5kW Club
Use the Scorpion and Byron fan. It is easy and just plain fun to fly. That is what it is all about. Flying and having fun.

http://www.ejf.com/media/ejf-f16.wmv

It works very well.

Clay
Dec 21, 2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.hurricanefans.net/ Here is something that no one has tried yet. I think this might work a bit better. Hurricane rotor might have good results with the same power set up used in the dynamax. Just a though. I know a wile back I suggested to convert the dynamax into electric and people dismissed it as nonsense, and now the dynamax is flying electric with turbine like sound. Food for though. I am sitting on a Byron f 18 that I canít decide what to power it with. Good luck.
Dec 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
I really like the looks of those fans.
Bruff mentioned a few times that they blew up some of his nitro motors, but
they may just be the thing for these electric outrunners.

Hope somebody with more knowhow, and money, than me tries it.

Tim
Dec 21, 2008, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Captin nitro two dynamax's will fit in that byron f18,dont ask me how I know.
Dec 21, 2008, 05:38 PM

Byron F-18

You are right Easyp2. I saw that in a magazine a few years after Byron released the F-18. I also saw the Byron F-18 "Barely Fly" on the Byron Fan and an OS 91 at Des Moines. It was way underpowered.
Dec 21, 2008, 05:54 PM
EDF all the way!
The Hurricane fan center hub 3 times heaver than the stock Dynamax rotor hub. The new "E" version Dynamax rotor hub's are much lighter. It would not be a easy conversion. The rotor alone is over $100.00 plus You will need to have Hurricane Fans do the maintainance ($65.00 / hr)on the rotor for damaged blades. They will not sell single rotor blades. The Byron fan can handle most any of the electric motors thrown at it. I would also like to see how Jim Drew's motor would work in a Byron.
Bob
Dec 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
well im the guy with the jhh a4 with the e dynamax in it.funny thing is I think I could convert this byron f16 and be around the same weight.
Dec 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
EDF all the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyp2
well im the guy with the jhh a4 with the e dynamax in it.funny thing is I think I could convert this byron f16 and be around the same weight.
Go for it! It will fly. Byron's were never very fast. Do just like your A-4. Don't worry about the inlet duct. Lots of room to breath.
bob

Quick Reply