Mar 03, 2003, 04:02 PM
Thread OP

Twinjet problem

I have a new twinjet with 480 motors. I'm using a new Sanyo 3000 NIMH battery. I'm only getting 5 to 6 minute flights and when I discharge the battery after the flight I get about 1 A out of it.
Any suggestions?
Wes
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2003, 05:39 PM
Either you are propped badly, or are just a hooligan!

You should be pulling about 25A, which is more like 7 minutes flat out.

On 8 cells that is.
Mar 03, 2003, 07:27 PM
How many cells? What charger are you using?

I assume the motors are the standard Permax 480s that come with the 'racer edition' TJ, and you're using the standard white Gunther props ?
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Mar 03, 2003, 07:31 PM

Re: Twinjet problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes Huff
when I discharge the battery after the flight I get about 1 A out of it.

Why are you discharging the pack after flight? And how, 1A with what load and for how long?

AFAIK nimh cells are damaged by deep discharge ...
Mar 04, 2003, 02:23 AM
Thread OP

More information

Sorry for the lack of information. I'm new at this.
It is an 8 cell battery. It is the racing edition with the 480 motors and standard white Gunther props.
I'm using a Schulze isl 6 chameleon charger. I'm charging at 4A and discharged on the auto discharge program just to see what was left in the battery.
As far as being a hooligan, my son is flying the plane and he does like it to go fast. Hooligan may be the correct term.
Thanks
Wes
Mar 04, 2003, 06:06 AM
OK, a few things.

First of all, are you timing the flights or guessing? The latter is pretty unreliable! With 8x3000 I think you should get around 7 mins at full throttle.

Are you flying till the ESC low voltage cutoff operates, or landing before that?

Did you do a slow charge (preferably a couple) on the pack(s) before using them?

Are you sure the charger is set correctly? I also have a Schulze charger, you might want to read their recommendations on Sanyo 3000s here:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.d...e/gakpfl-e.pdf

That seems to suggest that they should be treated as nicds, if you are using different settings then perhaps you aren't getting a full charge. Note that Panasonics etc. are completely different (according to Schulze!).

I'm no expert on sub-C size nimh cells, I only use 2400 nicds myself as these can be recharged much faster (I use 10A ) and generally handle abuse pretty well!

Perhaps do some Forum searches on "Sanyo 3000", I'm sure there's lots of info. posted.

HTH.

Quick Reply