New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 17, 2009, 07:46 AM
mudhenk27 is offline
Find More Posts by mudhenk27
AMYA 10Rater Class Secretary
I'm VERY interested in the minis...any info on availability?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2009, 01:18 PM
Jhondra is offline
Find More Posts by Jhondra
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton
Yes, measured at the LE carbon strip where the wing meets the horizontal fuselage.

I did add a washer to add some down and right thrust.
I just offset how my motor mount glued in a little to get the down and right thrust.

Also, for the CoG, I try to have my bat just barely forward of the landing gear. I haven't been able to get it too tail heavy yet, especially with 3D type hovering. Just start close and slow it way down until it wants to stall and see if it wants to pitch up or down and move the CoG until you are right well balanced, then maybe move it just a touch back if you REALLY want to only do hovers and 3D stuff.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:54 PM
tallflyer is offline
Find More Posts by tallflyer
Registered User
tallflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra
I just offset how my motor mount glued in a little to get the down and right thrust.

Also, for the CoG, I try to have my bat just barely forward of the landing gear. I haven't been able to get it too tail heavy yet, especially with 3D type hovering. Just start close and slow it way down until it wants to stall and see if it wants to pitch up or down and move the CoG until you are right well balanced, then maybe move it just a touch back if you REALLY want to only do hovers and 3D stuff.

Thanks for the input!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yunnec Typhoon H Review
Old May 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Jhondra is offline
Find More Posts by Jhondra
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhenk27
I'm VERY interested in the minis...any info on availability?
Me too!!!
Old May 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
Jhondra is offline
Find More Posts by Jhondra
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
Wow, I've gotta use less glue or something....
LOL. Me too. Still, this is a great plane. I probably have about 80g of additional glue on mine since originally building. Been a great learning plane though.

One thing I would change if I did it again (and I will since I have one sitting in a box...grin), is to put some CF flats down the tail. When you crash, the tail tends to want to whip around and it splits the EPP on both sides just behind the wing. Adding some CF would help support and keep it from splitting.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:18 PM
burb is offline
Find More Posts by burb
Burb
burb's Avatar

carbon fiber


I added strips along the fuse sides ( very little weight ) and it just split behind the cf.... then I took it off and added strips the full length of the fuse ... and guess what , it split behind them right at the tail

ok ... I left them on and its been ok ... just need gentler landings on the wing tips etc
I also added a strip on the underside of the fuse at the motor area and it helped also ...

I plan on getting another model and building it lighter but using the cf along the fuse..the weight is really minor but helps the strength of the fuse

I also had better experience with the 8x6 prop over the 8x3.8
it pulls a few more amps but I don't notice any more heat in the esc or motor, might be that my plane is a bit heavier than most
Old May 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Mike Smart is online now
Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Hi All,

I flew my Piaget for the first time tonight, it is certainly a nice forgiving model to fly and it has a rock steady hover, however it is heavy for an indoor model and I noticed that it has this nasty habit of tucking its nose down when rudder is applied. This is not peculiar to mine as I tried a friend's Piaget a couple of weeks ago. I experimented with the CofG as I have experienced this trait before with models that are nose heavy, however moving it rearward did not seem to stop the nose tuck. I am now at about 15mm behind the recommended position. I also noticed that this nose displacement comes into play when you roll to commence knife edge, so it must be related to an aerodynamic issue, maybe the wing fences or the air brakes?

Mike
Old May 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
rmgmag is offline
Find More Posts by rmgmag
Crash & Burn
rmgmag's Avatar
Hi Mike, I don't notice much nose tuck in mine at all, however I have a very rearward CG but I don't think that's the issue, it must be something else. I have my battery placed ate the rearmost section of the fuselage, almost even with the trailing edge of the wing.

I also put SFG's on the bottom of the wing as well as the top, maybe that helps a little. Also, I don't have any offset in my motor. I have it set pretty much dead zero straight. I can do KE loops pretty easily to the left, but it flattens out at the bottom of the loop when I try it to the right. Probably a set up issue, so I just do them to the left...
Old May 22, 2009, 04:25 AM
r/c junkie is offline
Find More Posts by r/c junkie
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
r/c junkie's Avatar
Hi guys i have an issue with my piaget.When you pull an outside loop it has a bad tendancy of snapping out at the bottom.But on an inside loop it is sweet as is with most all manuvers.I have tried moving the cof g both ways and it doesnt make a lick of differance.Plane is very straight with no twisted surfaces.Maybe the elevator is twisting under the load will check that out tonight when i take it to our local indoor meet.

Shane
Old May 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
John Canfield is offline
Find More Posts by John Canfield
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/c junkie
Maybe the elevator is twisting under the load will check that out tonight when i take it to our local indoor meet.

Shane
I've noticed a huge difference flying my balsa Extra and my scratch-built full fuse Regal foamie. Now the Regal (I'm on my 4th one, so I know how to build them) seems very sloppy, disappointingly sloppy and I'm done with them I think. I'm almost finished building my Piaget and I hope it will have some of the 'crispness' of my balsa planes. I don't expect miracles with any foamie though.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
rmgmag is offline
Find More Posts by rmgmag
Crash & Burn
rmgmag's Avatar
I wouldn't describe the performance as crisp, it's a slow flier after all. But it is responsive.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:10 AM
Mike Smart is online now
Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Canfield
I've noticed a huge difference flying my balsa Extra and my scratch-built full fuse Regal foamie. Now the Regal (I'm on my 4th one, so I know how to build them) seems very sloppy, disappointingly sloppy and I'm done with them I think. I'm almost finished building my Piaget and I hope it will have some of the 'crispness' of my balsa planes. I don't expect miracles with any foamie though.
No its not crisp, but nonetheless pleasant to fly. It has a few aerodynamic issues as I noted above and I also found that it doesn't want to unstick from the ground. The best method I found indoors was just to open the throttle, don't apply up elevator until it naturally leaves the ground. It is very docile in knife edge flight and gives you the confidence to fly really low.

If you want crisp, I suggest you buy a Fancy Foam Yak 55 Gernot Bruckmann, this is by far the best indoor model I have flown yet

Mike
Old May 24, 2009, 07:38 PM
John Canfield is offline
Find More Posts by John Canfield
Registered User

Maidened the Piaget


Weighed it today: no battery - 211G or 7.5 oz, 2S 610 Rino pack 1.3 oz for an AUW of 8.8 oz.

The 3S pack & 8x3.8 prop is drawing too much current and the Turnigy 10 amp ESC is going into overcurrent protection. A 12 amp ESC would be better for a 3S pack. However the Piaget does everything I need it to do on a 2S pack as long as you are going fast enough for the control surfaces to be effective.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Setup is the stock motor (Hobby City kit), 8x3.8 prop, 2S 610 Rino LiPo, HS55 aileron servo with long DuBro arms and HTX500 servos for elevator/rudder.

I set up dual rates on this (like most of my planes) and found lower rates made the plane way too unresponsive. It needed huge (all I could get) control throws due to the slow speed.

The first pack I flew had the battery way too far back and the plane was difficult to control (for me, anyway.) Scooted the pack forward and that made a huge positive difference - it reacted quite well to control inputs and I was feeling really good about my purchase. The wind yesterday for the maiden was 0-5 and at 5 mph it was really getting tossed around - that was too much wind to have fun with the plane.

Today I flew two 2S 610 packs in 0-3 mph winds and had a blast - it was lots of fun, hovered easily (and I'm 3D-challenged ) and did nice KEs. Harriers were ridiculously easy. I like the 2S packs while I get familiar with the plane. I have some 3S 610 Rino packs that I'll fly later.

I got about five minutes out of the LiPo and it might have gone another minute or two. I was all over the place with the throttle and wasn't trying to conserve the battery.

The elevator has a pretty bad warp and I'm going to attempt to straighten it out with some heat, but even if I can't, the plane is still fun.

Haven't weighed the plane yet, but I was generous with the CA, not by design though. The applicator nozzle was too large for the job.

Oh, by the way... The Wing damping plates are FOAM that is not CA resistant. Don't ask how I found out. (Apologies if this is common knowledge)
Last edited by John Canfield; May 30, 2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Weighed it today
Old May 27, 2009, 12:41 AM
Jhondra is offline
Find More Posts by Jhondra
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/c junkie
Hi guys i have an issue with my piaget.When you pull an outside loop it has a bad tendancy of snapping out at the bottom.But on an inside loop it is sweet as is with most all manuvers.I have tried moving the cof g both ways and it doesnt make a lick of differance.Plane is very straight with no twisted surfaces.Maybe the elevator is twisting under the load will check that out tonight when i take it to our local indoor meet.
I'm betting you are experiencing the result of not enough CF rods for the outside loop. CF flats down the fuse sides or more CF rods to support wings on the TOP should help.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:50 AM
Harrow is offline
Find More Posts by Harrow
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burb
I added strips along the fuse sides ( very little weight ) and it just split behind the cf.... then I took it off and added strips the full length of the fuse ... and guess what , it split behind them right at the tail

ok ... I left them on and its been ok ... just need gentler landings on the wing tips etc
I also added a strip on the underside of the fuse at the motor area and it helped also ...

I plan on getting another model and building it lighter but using the cf along the fuse..the weight is really minor but helps the strength of the fuse

I also had better experience with the 8x6 prop over the 8x3.8
it pulls a few more amps but I don't notice any more heat in the esc or motor, might be that my plane is a bit heavier than most
Burb,

I went down this path too once. But a friend showed me the solution. Do not use CF, instead run some tape along instead. The tape has enough stretch to spread out the whipping force, so that there is no single weak point. It is lighter than the piece of CF too.

Regards,
Harrow.


Thread Tools