Mar 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Reed, I paint my molds before layup so color wouldnt really matter . Looks great and you have encouraged me to give it a go on a fuse mold. Better to get good before doing wings. Great thread bro.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2009, 09:39 AM
Slopeaholic
Great work Reed! It sure looks like all that time spent in the tent freaking your neighbors out paid off. There is nothing quite like the pride you feel after popping your first fuse out of a new mold!

-hutch
Mar 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
I've learned a lot with this one. When I get a chance I'll post some pics of all my "learning" experiences which will clearly show how a new mold is well warranted.

Having said that, this mold did teach me something: mainly, that it really isn't too hard to make a mold of your own design. I wouldn't sell any parts from this mold because they aren't good enough in my book, but for my personal use they'll do just fine. Now I can try all kinds of layup schedules, airfoils, wingloadings, etc., etc.

Sloping rocks!!
Ahh, development, dont you love it! I know where this project will end up sooner or later and I like the future. Perfectly built molded Jarts. Nice job Reed!
Mar 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Vitruvian JART
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
Ahh, development, dont you love it! I know where this project will end up sooner or later and I like the future. Perfectly built molded Jarts. Nice job Reed!
Ha! Yes, my friend, I haven't forgotten. You see that I've called this my "practice" mold!
Mar 20, 2009, 03:19 PM
Better forget the canopy on those babies.
Mar 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Quote:
Here now we see the work of a master. Fukushima has started laying up fuses for the 70" version...
That's quite a big cutout for the wing. It will be interesting to see how those hold up after a little abuse.
Mar 21, 2009, 10:54 AM
Vitruvian JART
Thread OP
Jeff's doing the R&D on structurally appropriate layups. Because of the size of this thing, we can get away with a little higher wingloading, even on smaller slopes. And the idea is to have flaps on this bad boy, so that should bring the abuse-factor down a bit.

There will be no canopy cutout on these, and the wing seat will help hold it all together - we hope!
Last edited by Reed; Mar 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Mar 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Registered Loser
You are a one creative manimal, following this makes my brain hurt and my skin itch.
I live in the bay and would love to see one of these up close. I love projects but, I think I'll be letting my wallet do the work on this one. Thank you for sharing!
Mar 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
Quote:
so that should bring the abuse-factor down a bit.
But...But....But....????
Apr 19, 2009, 02:48 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Hmmmm, yes I see - so I'll need to grab a 4-way fitting to go with this. Thanks for the illustration.
Reed,

I made up a simple vacuum regulator from scrap parts, cost me only the price of the .1mf 400volt rating capacitor that I wired accross the micro switch points ($2.50). Advantages are, less power consumption/longer pump life. Total control of vac level. Increased ability to track down leaks etc.
Parts include: auto distributor vac advance diaphragm, spring, switch and vac guage (probably the costliest component).
A screw on the spring adjust the level. Duty cycle is around 1/4 sec. every 10 mins or so!

Just a suggestion for better control etc.

Jim.

Edit: The deadband (or hysteresis) can be adjusted by moving the switch along the arm.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Oct 08, 2017 at 01:47 AM.
Apr 19, 2009, 10:43 AM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Wow, I havn't checked on the progress for some time now, looking great there Reed.

Got a question, did you just put some extra goop along the fins' trailing edge then clamp the molds together with no seam material? If so did this work because the trailing edge stays thin for a while before widening out?

I'll get around to building a Jart eventually and vow not to pass up this thread for so long again!!
Apr 19, 2009, 11:00 AM
Sean Worthington

Super Jart

Hi Reed,

Loving the thread and especially interested in the 2M fuselages being built up by Fukushima. They look great. I've been watching this thread and the blog for when they might be for sale. Now that they are being layed up, is there a list to get on?

Thanks,

Sean
Apr 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
Vitruvian JART
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello
Reed,

I made up a simple vacuum regulator from scrap parts, cost me only the price of the capacitor that I wired accross the micro switch points ($2.50). Advantages are, less power consumption/longer pump life. Total control of vac level. Increased ability to track down leaks etc.
Parts include: auto distributor vac advance diaphragm, spring, switch and vac guage (probably the costliest component).
A screw on the spring adjust the level. Duty cycle is around 1/4 sec. every 10 mins or so!

Just a suggestion for better control etc.

Jim.
Could you wire one up for me!?
Just kiddin' - this is great stuff for the DIY types. I've lucked out with the pump I got from Tony, but getting interested in gauge/switch to cut down on power usage. How big a reservoir are you using?
Apr 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
Vitruvian JART
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntop
Got a question, did you just put some extra goop along the fins' trailing edge then clamp the molds together with no seam material? If so did this work because the trailing edge stays thin for a while before widening out?
I splooge it all the way around the back end. When I get a chance I'll post some photos.

Quick Reply