View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 23, 2014, 12:34 PM
If thy live in Vancouver you will have to get him one of those fancy heated transmitter covers, congratulations, let the spoiling begin.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2014, 12:37 PM
Ken's CAD Models

VLF Pitts S-1

Okay, we got another up and coming project on the fire. Started designing this one about a month ago, and decide to cut one out and see what I overlooked.

A Pitts Special S-1. This will have landing gear with wheel pants as well.

Ken
Sep 23, 2014, 02:01 PM
Joe The Ripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Okay, we got another up and coming project on the fire. Started designing this one about a month ago, and decide to cut one out and see what I overlooked.

Ken
Ken what is the expected wingspan? 3S or 4S size bats? I have always liked the looks and performance of Ron Grays Pitts.
Joe
Sep 23, 2014, 02:02 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb

A Pitts Special S-1. This will have landing gear with wheel pants as well.

Ken
Nooooooo - I must resist - have to many to build now....I need help....must have....no.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Argggg
Sep 23, 2014, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannonjk
It is my first grandchild thanks.
Joe
Ahhh to joy, spoil em rotten and send em home. Don't forget to get the T-shirts stating "Grandpa Rules"!!!
Sep 23, 2014, 05:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannonjk
Ken what is the expected wingspan? 3S or 4S size bats? I have always liked the looks and performance of Ron Grays Pitts.
Joe
Joe,
The wingspan is 22.25" with a total wing area of 167 sq. in.

The intention here is to use something in the range of the 2730 BW to the 2208-12 motors. Battery cavity is large enough for the Zippy 1000 mAh 3s battery.

Though I believe the optimum at this point will be Don's KEDA 2730 1700 Kv with the 7x6 prop on a Rhino 750 mAh 3s battery. I am expecting the performance to be similar to the Tucano I used to fly on the same power setup. Will have to see. This airframe is a bit more draggy than the Tucano and will be a tad heavier.

Ken :
Sep 23, 2014, 06:41 PM
Ken,
Did you get a chance to work on that frame?
Sep 23, 2014, 09:20 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy
Ken,
Did you get a chance to work on that frame?
Hoping to have something tangible tomorrow. Did try to water-jet one out of acrylic, but had too much fracturing at the piercing points to be usable. Next step is to program and mill it.

Ken
Sep 24, 2014, 10:52 AM
John (Tiger Jet)
Mike, I wasn't planning on going today but it looks like it's going to be a nice day. I also had more than one person suggest I should go today. Soo..... could you please bring some of that control wire we talked about?

Also if anyone has some spare servos I can buy at Hobby King price. Please say so. I have again been thinking about that A-10 I was planning to build. 3 servos would get it flying but 4 would be even better.

Thanks in advance
John

EDIT: Oops, I see some people PMed me about servos before. I am sorry I haven't ever checked my PM here before. I will look into the suggestions.
Last edited by LCountach; Sep 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Sep 24, 2014, 01:58 PM
treefinder
John, I will bring some wire. I'll be there around 5
Sep 25, 2014, 05:16 AM
Ken's CAD Models
A very nice relaxing afternoon of flying was had yesterday. I arrived at the park around 3:15 pm to find Ron and his girlfriend, and Tom there.

Tom was flying his Trojan, Polaris, and the twin motor delta from Horizon. I happened to chance upon Tom at the Propshop the other day and mistook him for someone else.

Ron had his Carbon Cub out and was just peaking up the battery for another flight when we discovered that there was a grinding feeling when the motor was spun. Turned out some of the magnets came loose from the motor bell. That ended his night.

Shot the breeze for a bit with him and then was left alone breifly until Larry showed up with his Trojan and StingRay. We practiced some formation flight with our StingRays and flew some of the other ships I brought. Had my Doozy autogyro with me and had a blast shooting touch-and-gos.

Eventually another gentleman showed up who Larry introduced me to, but I cannot recall his name at the moment. Then Mike S. came and flew his "vintage" Slow Cat among others, and showed up last before I left around 6:45 pm. Please forgive if have left anybody or details out.

All in all a very pleasant time, spent with good company and good conversation.

Thanks guys,
Ken
Sep 25, 2014, 08:51 AM
Joe The Ripper
Sounds like it was a great night to fly. Wish I could have participated. I'm in Minneapolis waiting for my connecting flight to Vancouver to see my grandson. I have my F&F and my TRex 150 heli with me. Caused a big to do getting through security in Detroit.
Joe
Sep 25, 2014, 11:14 AM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Joe,
Let me my congrat's to the new grampa! I'm sure you an grandma are feeling the JOY!

Ken,
Thanks for the nice flying report. Sounds like it was a really great night.

That new Pitts looks fun! You crank out new designs so fast it is just amazing.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Sep 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Sep 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
It's always C A V U

Thursday SEMFF Tech Breakfast

All the techie talk stays at the restaurant...

Did you know that they actually serve breakfast too?

Dave F
>< *>
Last edited by got-one; Sep 25, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Sep 25, 2014, 01:17 PM
treefinder
great shot! Wow, does she look ready to devour that wondrous confection! It was delicious and even April enjoyed some after I brought my box home!

Quick Reply