View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ken, the mini stingers look real sharp and appears to be a quick build as you have shown. Wish i could make the indoor flying but 1pm just wont fit with my work schedule
Jimbo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Mini StingRay Flight Report

I know I need to start another thread for this and will do so, but could not help but put the first one up this morning since this is the first time I have had one of these Turnigy motors. Its pretty windy outside, so I opted for a 3s battery (Thunderpower 325mAh 45C 3s).

Of course I was not towing a streamer, but on 3s this thing is just ballistic. The CG was a little forward, and in power off it felt like I could not get enough up elevator, but that makes sense for a forward CG on these wings. This just lets me know it will tolerate a more aft CG which is fine. Plane tracks very solid like its larger sibliing and handled the wind without a problem in spite of being only 4 oz. Will test on 2s when we get out to the park.

This baby is going to be a hoot with the 10g motor. Less weight on the nose and probably can fly long enough with a 250 mAh battery for indoor streamer combat.

I feel like I got a winner here,
Ken
Oct 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo29
Ken, the mini stingers look real sharp and appears to be a quick build as you have shown. Wish i could make the indoor flying but 1pm just wont fit with my work schedule
Jimbo

Morning Jimbo!

Yeh that indoor schedule is alot of trouble for me as well. Fortunately my employer lets me flex my time. Thats the only way I can really make it happen. Last year I used too much vacation time on this activity. This Tuesday's 1PM event is not for general flying, rather a organizational session for USC with the ability to demo any potential aircraft suggestions.

Ken

Mini StingRay Thread
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Mini StingRay Flight Report

I know I need to start another thread for this and will do so, but could not help but put the first one up this morning since this is the first time I have had one of these Turnigy motors. Its pretty windy outside, so I opted for a 3s battery (Thunderpower 325mAh 45C 3s).

Of course I was not towing a streamer, but on 3s this thing is just ballistic. The CG was a little forward, and in power off it felt like I could not get enough up elevator, but that makes sense for a forward CG on these wings. This just lets me know it will tolerate a more aft CG which is fine. Plane tracks very solid like its larger sibliing and handled the wind without a problem in spite of being only 4 oz. Will test on 2s when we get out to the park.

This baby is going to be a hoot with the 10g motor. Less weight on the nose and probably can fly long enough with a 250 mAh battery for indoor streamer combat.

I feel like I got a winner here,
Ken
Can't wait to fly'em this afternoon. I'll give you a call when I'm leaving Flint about 2:30
Oct 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Can't wait to fly'em this afternoon. I'll give you a call when I'm leaving Flint about 2:30
That will be fine Don. Just bring batteries and some props. I only have the ones that are on the planes. Scavenged a pair of 5g servos from the little Citabria.

Ken

P. S. Remember your transmitter.
Oct 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Looks like a good night for combat at Stony, I plan. On being there!

Jordon
Oct 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
AKA ... Vic
I plan on being there also.. Time to fly...
VIC
Oct 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
treefinder
I should be there too, gotta get some back filling done first. was dead calm most of morning, but winds getting up now, hopefully less than the 10mph airnet said last night.
Oct 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
On way
Jimbo
Oct 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Turned out to be a great night for combat Kylie and I had a great time

Jordon, Thanks for the Apc p.s. can't Waite to get the hot wire cutter up and running now that I have the last component!

Jimbo
Oct 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
John (Tiger Jet)
Hi Guys! I decided to register here after I got back from Stony. Who am I? I'm the guy with the Tiger jet (John).

After getting back from stony I decided to try and figure out why the APC props performed so badly with my Tiger. The Unknown Black 5x5 Prop I used from Tim's glider has a bit more surface area on the blades farther out away from the shaft. That exposes more of its surface area to clean air because the motor is mounted in the fuselage. The APC 5x5 props have wide surface area only near the shaft and taper off fast towards the tips. My Tiger originally had an enclosed fuselage. Previous testing showed I needed to trim large portions away to improve airflow to the prop. Today it still had a small wedge of foam on the belly sticking out over the motor. I had left there to shield the motor during landings. I saw that wedge was also near the wide area of the APC props. I had a thought that it might be starving that area of the prop. I timed it off and tested by holding the plane vertical at 100% throttle. I could actually feel a difference. It seems like a redesign of the motor mount and position would help but that would require a rebuild of most of the plane. Fingers Crossed my little mod actually makes a difference when I get to test fly it again.

Your group all seem like a great bunch of guys. Flying with you a Stony is much more fun than flying solo an Metro Beach. The flying area at Metro is much smaller and a bit scarier for a novice R/C pilot like myself. I wish you guys met more often at Stony. I wanted to build a Stingray for combat today but unfortunately I don't have the needed servos. I also missed the guy from your group that sells parts. I heard he sells at much better prices than local Hobby Shops. I really don't have the money for Local prices. Could someone give me an idea of what it would cost for servos for a stingray from your group's seller. Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to next week.
Oct 16, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the great show this afternoon at Stony. Enjoyed myself enough to start on a combat plane. That's the easy part, when it's done I'll have to spend some time training my Slow Stick thumbs.

Jim

RC newbie with 20 years experience
Oct 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCountach
Hi Guys! I decided to register here after I got back from Stony. Who am I? I'm the guy with the Tiger jet (John).

Your group all seem like a great bunch of guys. Flying with you a Stony is much more fun than flying solo an Metro Beach. The flying area at Metro is much smaller and a bit scarier for a novice R/C pilot like myself. I wish you guys met more often at Stony. I wanted to build a Stingray for combat today but unfortunately I don't have the needed servos. I also missed the guy from your group that sells parts. I heard he sells at much better prices than local Hobby Shops. I really don't have the money for Local prices. Could someone give me an idea of what it would cost for servos for a stingray from your group's seller. Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to next week.
Hi John,
Welcome to the SEMFF Group! I am looking forward to getting back out there after next week. Don't know how much good weather will be left, but we shall see.

The guy you want to talk to about parts is Don Armstrong. He is Bz1mcr here on RCGRoups. Thought he was going to be out there today. He is the owner of Strong RC Motors LLC, and his website is www.strongrcmotors.com .

Glad to hear that you are giving the StingRay a try. Still one of my favorite designs.

Looking forward to making your aquaintance,
Ken
Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
treefinder
John & Jim: welcome to SEMFF! Now that you have shown up (and posted!) You're both official members of our unclub! Jim I met, John I probably did, but didn't catch the name, but glad you both enjoyed it. That's what it's all about: safe, inexpensive fun! Hope to see ya next week too. I should note that some of the guys get to Stony at other times during the week, and there are several retired types who are easily convinced to go! If either of you want to meet to fly, just post the suggestions here.
Oct 17, 2012, 09:47 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Introducing the new “King of Combat” with 5 cuts for the evening - Mike Spring!!!

All hail the King!

Quick Reply