View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 09, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Combat Demo for SkyMasters has been moved one week to Sat. 10/20.

Jordon, that should give you a little more build time.

Mike, Jordon, Joe, (pretty sure Ted plans to make it but he has not posted) and I....That's a skeleton crew! Sure would be nice if we can get more participation.
I could probably make it to that. I'll be out of the state this weekend.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2012, 07:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Looks like the night flying is still on at Skymasters for Saturday night, but don't know if we are invited. I could make that after 7.

Ken
Oct 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Looks like the night flying is still on at Skymasters for Saturday night, but don't know if we are invited. I could make that after 7.

Ken
Hey Ken,

What Saturday night are we talking about?

Jordon
Oct 09, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr
Hey Ken,

What Saturday night are we talking about?

Jordon
Jordon,
Looking on their website calendar, they are scheduled for the 13th and 20th from 5-10 PM.

From their website;
"Skymaster's "Night Owls" Invite You To Night Flying

Get a plane ready with lights!!

Night flying at our Scripps Rd. Field to 10:00 pm

Non-Skymasters-members welcome 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm

Electric Aircraft Only

Night Flyer Planes must be quiet

Flying open to AMA members"

So, if you are an AMA member, looks like your welcome.
Ken
Oct 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joe The Ripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Joe,
A parkflyer membership is sufficient for what we fly and costs $29.95 or something like that. https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx

I am thinking that I can make the night flight for that evening maybe. I just thought of something that I may have already planned (Corn Maze) with the family.

Ken
Thanks for the link Ken. I plan to join AMA so I can participate in the night flying on Saturday, and future events.
Joe
Oct 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
AKA ... Vic
Hey Guys.. Sorry ive been busy with work and missed a few tuesday's . But i will be out there today wind or no wind to have a little flight time. I am interested in the Night Flying on Saturday . I have been practicing flyin at night the last few weeks. Its still pretty freaky but im getting the hang of it.
Oct 09, 2012, 01:51 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Looks pretty windy this afternoon, anybody really, really going to be at Stony tonight?

Jordon
Oct 09, 2012, 01:52 PM
Ted

Combat Stoney Creek

I am planning on going tonight. Anyone else? Might be a little breezy though. 15 ish mph winds
Oct 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannonjk
I would like to combat and night fly at Sky Masters this Saturday, but I don't have an IMA number. What is the least expensive membership you can get that will let me fly? Is is possible to sign up that fast?
Joe
Joe, If you sign up for the AMA online, and pay with a credit card or Paypal, your membership is activated immediately. You will get an E-Mailed receipt that serves as your Temporary membership card while you wait for the real card in the mail. Just print out a copy of the e-mail. It will have your new member number on it.

Welcome to the age of instant gratification.
Oct 09, 2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr
Looks pretty windy this afternoon, anybody really, really going to be at Stony tonight?

Jordon
Yeah. I'll stop by for a bit. Probably not until 5:30 or 6. Never flown my Stingray in heavy wind.... Should be a good challenge.
Oct 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joe The Ripper
Last night was a lot of fun. The wind wasn't so bad, although a little challenging. A good number of people showed: Ted, Kieth, Vic, Shane, and Larry, and I know I'm missed one or two. Also Ted brought Dave Lange from Skymasters to observe combat and just generally check out the Stoney Creek SEMFF field. He was impressed, and expressed a desire to join us in combat in the future.
Only three of us did one combat mission with no kills, and Keith with one dirt nap. Not a stellar night, but we had a lot of sport flying of planes and helicopters, and night flying with Ted, Vic and I lighting the skys. It's definitely not summer any more, but a winter coat kept me toasty warm. Can't wait until next Tuesday.
Joe
Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joe The Ripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
Joe, If you sign up for the AMA online, and pay with a credit card or Paypal, your membership is activated immediately. You will get an E-Mailed receipt that serves as your Temporary membership card while you wait for the real card in the mail. Just print out a copy of the e-mail. It will have your new member number on it.

Welcome to the age of instant gratification.
I registered on line yesterday, so now I am an offical AMA member. Instant gratification for a price. Now I'm set to fly at Skymasters. However, I still have to decide if I will be out there this Saturday for the night fly as well as next Saturday when we do the combat demo and night fly. I have to wait and see.
PS It would be great if everyone can sign their name to the bottom of their posts because I don't know everyone's code name (ie. XDmToter). Thanks.
Joe
Oct 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
Ken's CAD Models

USC Combat

Guys,
I want to fly (pun intended) this by you and see what you think.

October 16 at 1 pm there is a meeting at Ultimate Soccer Arena to help formulate aircraft parameters, rules of engagement, and scoring system for indoor combat this season.

I am going to flex my time so that I can be there. Some of the concerns with our regular combat planes is the speed and stored energy that they are capable of. The concern arises form potential damage to the facility. So as I have chatted with other folks, we have thought about lighter weight lower powered models. Hate for it to get too restrictive, but this is an opportunity to be really creative. Hence the following idea.

Airframe design parameters; Anything you want within the materials allowed.

Materials allowed:
Foam: EPP, FFF, or MPF in the quantity of not more than 2 sq. ft. (thinking 1' x 2' piece to start with). Call this effort the "Two Square" design class.
Spar material: One spar allowed, 3mm carbon tube or 1/8" dowel rod not more than 24" long.
Battery: Not greater than 1000 mAh 2s
Motor: Anything that will not toast the esc (I think a Park 250 size would be great).
ESC: This would be the constraining factor at 6A or so. 43 watt input limitation.
Prop: This would also limit the speed if you specify a pitch limitation to say 3".
Servos: could be 5g or 9g, Hited HS-55, or whatever.

Lets have some feedback. Make this as interesting as possible for the widest possible appeal.

Ken
Oct 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP

Indoor combat

I plan to attend the meeting also.
I don't think you need to limit the amount of foam used. Limit the battery size and require a flight time of say 5 min. and that will control the power, size and weight of the planes.

1000 mAh 2S is way too much! I am thinking 300-400 might be best, 500 mAh tops.
I still like "planes" rather than "combat wings", but if we go with wings for durability and ease of build, your design looks pretty good. At 24" span I like the size. Less LE sweep would help to snag more streamers.

Since firewalls have proven to be frequently damaged, I favor a stick mounted motor and would like to be able to use a c/f stick.

I think a 10g motor will be about right. Here are spec. on the 18-11 motor shown below.
Kv (rpm/v) 2000
Weight (g) 10
Max Current (A) 5.5
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 7
Power(W) 41 on 2S
Shaft A (mm) 2
Length B (mm) 22
Diameter C (mm) 18
Can Length D (mm) 7
Total Length E (mm) 30
Last edited by bz1mcr; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Oct 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Use this buddy code to buy 950 mAh 2S nanotech batteries from HK' USA warehouse for only $4.99. That's a great deal and shipping is low if you buy a bunch and ship priority mail.

https://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-5E655B143E66

Quick Reply