View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 21, 2019, 05:14 PM
treefinder
Me! Me!
8 at Romeo cafe be there or be square!
Mowing the field this pm.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 05:28 PM
I'm on. See you at 8
Aug 21, 2019, 05:50 PM
Retired CAD guy
Mike, you should pickup a used Roach Coach.
Park it at YOUR field and then everyone can Eat and fly at the same place !

everyone but YOU, cuz you'd be the Cook and Mower and wing washer !
Aug 21, 2019, 06:09 PM
AKA Larry
I will bring my appetite.....and a few planes.

Larry
Aug 21, 2019, 07:56 PM
Miss y’all. Hormone therapy is still no bueno. Started the next 4 month round on monday.
I have to take both dogs to the vet tomorrow so will regrettably miss breakfast and flyin. Have fun
Aug 21, 2019, 08:08 PM
OLD-BOLD Pilot Still
LET'S DO THIS.

Dave F
>< *>
Aug 21, 2019, 09:03 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Mike, you should pickup a used Roach Coach.
Park it at YOUR field and then everyone can Eat and fly at the same place !

everyone but YOU, cuz you'd be the Cook and Mower and wing washer !
Ha! Great idea, maybe I can get one of the grandkids to run it. . .
Aug 25, 2019, 03:57 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP

Long post--Hot air Balloons over Lake Belliare

We went to Shanty Creek yesterday to see the "Balloons over Lake Bellaire" event. Pre-event postings said 20 hot air balloons would be launching between 6 and 8 in the evening. Weather was perfect. Almost no wind with clear blue sky and temp in the mid-low 70's. We arrived about 5 o'clock and were surprised to be among the first at the launch area. By six we had been joined by maybe 50-100 other watchers but no balloons or crews in sight. About 6:30 a line of vans and pickups was approaching the launch area. They all parked on the same side of the open space got out and started talking to each other. I remarked to those around me that it looked a lot like the scene I have encountered at several RC Plane Club fields. Every one arrives excited to talk to their buddies and see what they brought. But some how no one wants to be the first get flying. Finally about 6:50 we heard the first of the motorized blower fire up and with in minutes 4 or 5 balloons had been laid out and were starting to fill with air from their blowers. With the balloons taking shape but still laying on the ground they started firing the burners attached to the baskets. Fairly short bursts at first 'cause the flames were close to the cloth at first. But as they warmed up the balloons inflated and started to become vertical and eventually pulled the baskets vertical below them. Then a couple of longer burns and they lifted off. 13 balloons arrived and 11 launched in about thirty minutes. It was interesting to see they all drifted slowly off to our left after launch. But as the first of them reached an altitude of a few thousand feet it began to come back in front of us and eventually drift off to our right. Seems like with the winds at different altitudes moving in different directions the pilots had some control over which direction they went. Some of them did not go up much past tree level near the launch site and then went down following the land as it approached Lake Bellaire below us. Trees blocked almost all of our view of the lake from the lauch site near the summit at Shant Creek resort. I learned later that the balloons like to get down low over the lake and even do a basket touch and go on the water. All in all a fun, interesting thing to see.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 04:12 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP

Short post--Free stuff

Looking forward to breakfast and maybe a flying field visit on the morning of 9/5. My car will be full stuff to leave with SEMFF. This is just a teaser. One of the kits on top is a partially built Mermaid (Kens CAD models) The bottom box has two kits in it An Albatros bipe, and a One Sheet Twin (Springers kit)
Aug 25, 2019, 04:39 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
That's really neat Don. All I can think of is balloons dropping in the water! lol Hot air balloons is something I don't think I have the marbles to ever do.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:06 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
That's really neat Don. All I can think of is balloons dropping in the water! lol Hot air balloons is something I don't think I have the marbles to ever do.
It's a lovely thing to do.
We have a friend who owned a balloon and we did some flying with him. It's a splendid way to fly.
You can call a greeting to people on the ground and hear their reply. When the dogs bark at the big thing in the sky you can hear that too.
It's amazing how well the pilots can go where the want to go. At one contest we went to the idea was to launch 7Km from the finish point and attempt to grab a foam 'key' from the top of a 30' pole. The prize for doing this was a new SUV so it was well worth winning.
The key did not get grabbed, but the nearest attempt saw the outstretched hand float past about 10 feet away. Not bad for riding the shifting breeze for 7 Km.
"Our' balloon came in right on track, looking great, to about 200 feet from the target and then a playful little puff of air pushed it sideways so it 'missed' by 50 yards. Again, not bad after 7 Km.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:16 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Now THAT puts things in a different light. Talk about a challenge. Gotta admit, sounds like fun but is still be dam scared.
Aug 28, 2019, 04:40 PM
Ken's CAD Models
What time and where are we meeting on 9/5?

Ken
Aug 28, 2019, 05:11 PM
Breakfast tomorrow 8 am. Romeo cafe. Sound good?
Aug 28, 2019, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proprpop
Breakfast tomorrow 8 am. Romeo cafe. Sound good?
Im in the mood for some breakfast with the men.

Quick Reply