View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

May 19, 2019, 11:12 AM
WOW Mike, that is gorgeous! I feel like the proverbial pig looking at a wrist. WOW!
Last edited by proprpop; May 19, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 11:38 AM
C-45 Expeditor is the military version. Iím not having much success with posting so this might be redundant, but WOW Mike, that is gorgeous, and the tech is amazing,I.e. differential thrust for taxi assist is not only craftsmanship at its best, but ingenuity and a talent from The Lord!
You should never leave me alone with that plane...Iím not a thief, but....
May 19, 2019, 01:02 PM
AKA Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
All the specs and stuff are on the build thread starting at page 5 post 74: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Beech-18/page5

Retracts, functional rudders, differential motors. emax 2812s and 7x6 props.

I guess to your question, Larry, the motors each have their own ESC, as while I have never tried it, "they" say that two brushless motors on one ESC won't work well, won't start together, etc. Separate ESCs are convenient (if crowded in fuse) as it lets me mix the rudder into the two motor channels for differential thrust. That helps ground handling a lot. The rudders themselves aren't particularly effective - the original dtf 30" span version was aileron/elevator/motors only and flew fine. I think I have about 10% rudder mixed in positive only in each throttle channel. It is on a switch, as I find it isn't required or even wanted in flight. Was a fun little programming exercise, and pretty easy in ersky9x on my 9xrPro.

Mike
My Spektrum DX8, Gen 1, can not assign channels only switches. I know the Gen 2 DX 9 can do it ($450). Not sure about the other Gen 2 models. Your trans goes for less than $100 if I recall.

Larry
May 19, 2019, 01:43 PM
Really, Mike, differential thrust!

How did you accomplish that? I tried it with a little car I was hoping to make amphibious, with a right and left motor, belt driven to the wheels on the corresponding sides, but all it did was whirl one way, then the other... Too sensitive to the difference between the motors.

It was quite a while ago, and not worth remembering, but I think I drove two ESCs and mixed rudder or maybe aileron in with it.

UPDATE I see that you already answered it. I guess my application with motors contacting the ground through wheels was much more critical of differential speed than props would be.
May 19, 2019, 02:20 PM
treefinder
Dave, as I said, I think I mixed in only 10% of rudder throw and I set it for positive only (which means that the outside motor speeds up, but the inside motor doesn't slow down- makes a more gentle change). If you mixed 100% I would not be surprised that it would spin! You would have to have kept your rudder movement in the minimal trim range!

I thought you guys knew about all this. I have flown the plane several times when we were out at the 'drone. The super twin has the same setup. Unfortunately it is in the "depot" for a wing replacement.
May 19, 2019, 02:36 PM
Mike,

I am sure I tried low percentages of rudder mix, but I didn't try "positive only" neat trick! I will keep that filed away in my convolutions of the cerebellum for some day when I need it.
May 19, 2019, 02:47 PM
treefinder
(2 min 4 sec)

Hard to believe I made that video 7 years ago! Time flies. . .

The first part after the stills, shows using the rudder stick only, throttle off. I have the percentage set so that outside motor will start while inside motor is still off. The later part shows the downside of a flat bottom hull (no V) - almost impossible to grease a landing! The new wing (two motors, flaps and ailerons -why not go for broke?) Is about half covered. I'm thinking I may rework the hull bottom to add some V to it too. Meed to get back to that. . .
Last edited by springer; May 19, 2019 at 02:56 PM.
May 19, 2019, 02:55 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decokid
Mike
My Spektrum DX8, Gen 1, can not assign channels only switches. I know the Gen 2 DX 9 can do it ($450). Not sure about the other Gen 2 models. Your trans goes for less than $100 if I recall.

Larry
The power of open source. . . Haven't found anything I wanted to do with it that I or one of the other ersky9x junkies couldn't make happen.
May 19, 2019, 02:58 PM
Really works well! The yaw stops when you stop the motor, like you had brakes on it!
May 19, 2019, 03:05 PM
treefinder
Do you guys see two videos , one by itself and the other in a blue box? For some reason when I paste the vimeo url, it at first shows just the one, but next time I come to page or refresh, it shows two. Annoying.
May 19, 2019, 03:08 PM
Yes I did, and they seemed like the same video, but they were too entertaining to be called "annoying"!
May 19, 2019, 03:13 PM
treefinder
Ha! Perhaps, but they get tedious. I have tried fixing it here and on vimeo, to no avail. If I delete the http// from the url it stops the duplicate til the next time I look at the page. Same with deleting the [url] brackets. I think the site is protecting me from myself!
May 19, 2019, 03:37 PM
That's what all the politicians want to do - protect us from ourselves. It's the modern way...
May 22, 2019, 09:16 AM
treefinder
Checking airnet, looks like if we want to fly toward end of week, Thursday won't work (wind and rain) Friday looks steady 6mph and dry, though. Shall we plan for that?
May 22, 2019, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Checking airnet, looks like if we want to fly toward end of week, Thursday won't work (wind and rain) Friday looks steady 6mph and dry, though. Shall we plan for that?
Good Lord willing, I will fly soon. Fri sounds good.

Quick Reply