SEMFF--South East Michigan Foamy Flyers - Page 1344 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Jun 09, 2018, 03:20 PM
Great find. Herr has been around a long time and still sold today. Great basic kits.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2018, 06:08 PM
GLMS
Howdy All, sorry it's been awhile but life been nuts around here. Something new though, not sure if anyone has heard of Excel Drones in Garden City or not but I have a new position there starting very soon. Been awhile since I have flown anything but here is yhe newest toy. It's a EMAX Baby Hawk R Racing Drone,had to a racer. Talk to you all soon.
Jun 09, 2018, 08:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Congratulations and great to hear from you John. Yeah, I think my brother in law has stock in that company. LOL!

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jun 09, 2018 at 11:17 PM.
Jun 09, 2018, 09:34 PM
treefinder
hmmm, no tall mast on it???

It's good to have a semiretirement job!
Jun 09, 2018, 11:22 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
I also have my eye on this F-14 that Bimo should be selling plans for soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCN4PrS1mc

The build techniques look slightly easier than Steve's model.
Keith,
Are you familiar with the MDC F-14? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...plans-and-pics

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Jun 09, 2018, 11:32 PM
I sure am. Been pondering that one for years. Just never got around to it.

I like the full fuselage of Bimo's, and his uses two servos to drive the swing wings directly.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing... The few people who've built the prototypes seem to be having good luck with it.
Jun 10, 2018, 07:18 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I had built the MDC version and was always impressed with the stability of the CG through out the wing sweep geometry. I used to fly mine with the radio in helicopter mode. This allowed the wing sweep to be controlled in conjunction with the throttle. Wings fully extended up through ~60% throttle to 50% sweep at 75% throttle and full sweep at at 90% and up.

The full fuselage version looks even better and no prop in the slot is positive as well. Dual servos on the wing sweep adds more power, which was a weakness in my MDC as the sweep tended to stick under higher G loads. I believe though that a higher power single servo would be safer from a failure standpoint. I would not want one wing getting glitchy.

Looks like your kit is well on its way. I got lazy and bought Bird of Play's cut depron kit when I did the MDC version.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jun 10, 2018 at 07:23 AM.
Jun 10, 2018, 08:01 AM
Oh, Those are not my pictures. I stole them from Wildthing over on rcpowers.

https://rcpowers.com/community/threa...t-g1r-s.22375/
Jun 10, 2018, 06:58 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Oh, Those are not my pictures. I stole them from Wildthing over on rcpowers.

https://rcpowers.com/community/threa...t-g1r-s.22375/
Oops, pardon my assumption.

Anyway, I've seen another interesting way of linking the wings together using gear teeth. It was on a plastic kit of the F-14. It was quite robust and would be a snap with 3D printing.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jun 10, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Jun 13, 2018, 02:42 PM
Hey Mike, whats the winds look like tomorrow? This week has been brutal windy. I hope it’s good, I have a new member to introduce to ya’ll.
Jun 13, 2018, 03:04 PM
treefinder
Brutal now here for sure, but they did predict 35 mph gusts this afternoon. Friday looks to be marginally better than tomorrow. 6mph versus 9-10. I also have a granddaughter graduation from elementary to middle school at 9:30 AM (of all times! Don't they know that's flying time???) As usual you guys are welcome to come out tomorrow, but I will be flying Friday. So who's the new guy?
Jun 13, 2018, 03:18 PM
New guy is a friend of mine from Romeo Skyhawks. Wanted to come check ya out as I have always sang ya’lls praises.
Fri is workday for me so may be a wash this week all together.
Jun 13, 2018, 04:46 PM
AKA Larry
I think The Friday wind predections are for me. If 9 AM is good for you Mike, I will come by.

Larry
Jun 13, 2018, 09:51 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcool
New guy is a friend of mine from Romeo Skyhawks. Wanted to come check ya out as I have always sang ya’lls praises.
Fri is workday for me so may be a wash this week all together.
I suppose you're working Sat as well, eh?

Well, if your buddy wants he's welcome to join us Friday am!

Larry, 9 sounds good to me!
Jun 13, 2018, 10:13 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
So, I picked this up at a Garage sale for a couple bucks.

35.5" Wingspan!
Rubber Band Powered!

That seems like a big model to be rubber band powered...

I should be able to find some room in there somewhere for some electronics.
Herr Engineering were always very nice kits.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project

Quick Reply