View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 15, 2018, 01:25 PM
You asked for my thoughts on electric rather than fuel, I say HooRay for electric, now that we have brushless, LiPos, and good reliable ESCs, it is so much easier, BUT NOT AS SAFE!
Be very careful about where the throttle is set when you turn on the plane!

I put a big rubber band on the handle of my transmitter, and bring it down the back, over to the left, and up to the throttle stick to hold it down, until ready to taxi out. One problem to fix here is that it often bumps the rudder trim levers, but that presents less of a problem than a full ON prop by accident.

I would put the battery in the bottom, with a hatch between the wheels, or in the side, if the landing gear interferes with making a bottom hatch. The lower center of mass is helpful for stability, and the hatch is easier to use than pulling the wing.

You will find the trike gear easier to taxi, take off and especially to land, but my club would hound me unmercifully if it were not a tail dragger...LOL
Last edited by dbacon; Jan 15, 2018 at 01:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2018, 01:59 PM
treefinder
I agree with you Dave although my opinion is the neither electric or fuel is "safe". On the one hand you have the tricky action of getting fuel planes started, and how many times have you seen the cut up arms from reaching over the prop to adjust carb? Electrics have the potential you mentioned of plugging in a plane in with throttle up, although there are several protecting actions; Your rubber band is a great one, also, putting throttle cut on a switch, and most current transmitters won't arm the RX unless the throttle is down. (at least that's the way my Flysky is). You can still bump it while carrying the plane, of course, but your rubber band works there. I am in the habit of carrying my tx by left hand with thumb on throttle, for similar effect.
With gas, it's pretty much "watch where you put your hands" I think. Of course, I haven't flown Gas/glow since the Gentle Lady with .049 in 2002 for about a week at which point I set her aside til I found the right brushless for her.

Also, While I understand your desire to support your club field, there is another, closer field available most of the time, in case you feel the need to fly. . . And the guys won't hound you unmercifully if you bring a tricycle plane!
Jan 15, 2018, 02:01 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcool
You guys are a lot braver than I. I am not flying in this wind and cold temps.
It does help to be able to walk out your back door and throw it up in the air, but the toes do get cold pretty fast! On calm mornings, though, it is a real treat to watch even the heaviest wing loaded plane float! Even yesterday, in the gusts, I motored the plane out past the ditch to the field from the studio. Interesting ground handling practice!
Jan 15, 2018, 02:38 PM
Thank you Mike, you are very generous. I often felt that flying at your field was a very attractive answer to my problem of being one of the furthest out members of my club.
One contributor here thinks that the newer AMA rules do cover a member in a situation like your field. I will look into that, because I think your guys (SEMFF) are a great bunch, and I miss them. Even if they do tolerate tricycle gear (lol).
-Dave
Jan 15, 2018, 05:24 PM
treefinder
I read up on that insurance issue, and the particular document (i think it was the membership renewal materials) seemed to indicate a member was covered where ever he flew as long as he/she was doing it following the ama safety guidelines. ( Which talks of appropriate places as well as appropriate behaviors) I was pleasantly surprised to read that. It also has implications for re-opening Stony Creek to some sort of RC flying I would think.

I am sure flying with your FBs "AT the field" will still be a preference, but on Thursday mornings or summer afternoon/evenings . . . I will step up to hassling you when you bring a trike if it makes you feel more at home!
Jan 15, 2018, 05:45 PM
That again is very generous of you, but I have been hassled by seasoned tormentors who believe that it must have a round motor and be a tail dragger, and they are not too sure that just one wing is legal either. These guys are hard core, but a lot of fun. I tried to irritate one Brit in particular by making a large (1/4 scale I think) Spitfire dressed up in pink like a Russian Suchoi. It would have been a great prank, because what ever could be more beautiful than a Spit? Anyway, he dropped out of the club just the day before. See how far they will go to get the better of me? Man it is rough! Well, the Spit is beautiful in any color...

They do tolerate me, there wasn't too much said when I showed up with a "Sci-Fi Jet", and another time with a "Miss Hangar One" my "Snowball" was an eye opener, and I still get gasps when I bring my "Sky Cart". Makes me want to fly more, just to surprise them...

They have to put up with me or I will make them be the Secretary, now there is a frightening prospect.
Jan 15, 2018, 08:58 PM
Boaterbill1
The Kestral's coming along. Looks like a speed racer with the new skis.
Thanks for the good input on fuel V electric and in hatch placement.
The forecast is for light winds tomorrow.
Not as warm as Sun, but should be good.
Will be bringing the balsa wings onto the table tomorrow.
Jan 16, 2018, 02:25 PM
treefinder
Ricky, et al, I happen to see this on a thread titled: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-Hollywood-FL

"Ya, only regulated park flying in town,
or maybe the everglades. Gators and snakes
make crash retrieval interesting there.

The deal with Markham is you need an AMA
card....then go to park office and pay $25 or so for
an airfield badge which is good for 2018."

The interesting thing is this is a local park in FL, that has the above rules for flying on the park field. . . . .
Jan 17, 2018, 07:47 PM
treefinder
No comments at 7:45 pm? You guys all hiding out in hibernation?
Jan 17, 2018, 07:51 PM
AKA Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
No comments at 7:45 pm? You guys all hiding out in hibernation?
Same time, same place....I will be there

Larry
Jan 17, 2018, 08:30 PM
OLD-BOLD Pilot Still
Going to sit this dance out. Getting started with physical therapy.
Dave F
>< *>
Jan 17, 2018, 08:36 PM
I'll be there. 8:30, Leo's...
Dave,
Isn't it physical therapy flying planes??
Jan 17, 2018, 10:29 PM
Been working on the Anet A8, power supply went bad...
Jan 18, 2018, 05:19 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
Been working on the Anet A8, power supply went bad...
Bummer! What are you replacing it with Dave?

Ken
Jan 18, 2018, 06:32 PM
The original was a 12V 20A, no fan. I found one on eBay, 12V 30A with an automatic fan. I am familiar with this one as I have been using one for a "bench" supply. I ordered two, because my GrandSon now has an Anet A8 from Santa. Less than $20 each including shipping, USA source, so they will arrive quickly.

I moved my bench supply into the printer, because I had "work" things to print for my Son, the Welding Engineer.
Last edited by dbacon; Jan 18, 2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply