SEMFF--South East Michigan Foamy Flyers - Page 1311 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 12, 2018, 07:53 AM
Boaterbill1
Good morning,
Thought I'd talk about something not discussed much lately. FLYING!
I was practicing touch and goes on the lake (snow) recently and totally trashed my floater. I committed a cardinal sin. I allowed the plane to go behind me. It collided with a boat hoist on the shoreline and broke into a bunch of useless parts. I really wanted to build another (#3) anyway. I think I have figured just about every way to crash an airplane, so I'll build a new one with the intent of keeping it in good shape. Should be ready to fly sunday, the next calm day here at the Lake Oakland aerodrome. The skis acually survived the last crash. Ive started a balsa kit called the Sig Seniorita that my son got me for christmas. Thinking of joining the Skymasters that have a field near me.
Wish Id seen the invite to visit them last night.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2018, 08:01 AM
Boaterbill1
The seniorita is definately not a foamy
Jan 12, 2018, 08:14 AM
EARNEST C. HALL Student '67
Beauty to my eyes.
What power plant will you be using?
Dave F
>< *>
Jan 12, 2018, 08:56 AM
Boaterbill1
She is a beauty! At least to my eyes too.
The plans call for a 700-1000kv motor, 45-75A esc, 3-4s 3000-4000 mah lipo batt.
Also a Hitec HS422 46-57 oz servos.
Any suggestion for choosing the correct ones appreciated.
Any build do's and don'ts too.
I was worried about device voltages when I noticed that the servos are basically 6v.
Until I looked at all my models and found them to have that too. 11.1v lipos and the 6v servos and receivers.
Jan 12, 2018, 09:42 AM
treefinder
The BEC (battery eliminated circuit ) in the ESC provides the 5-6 volts for servos and RX. But when you get to that size etc, they often don't include that circuit/function and you need to get a stand alone BEC. That is often a good idea anyway because it takes load off the speed control functionality.

That plane should be like old times for a wooden boat builder!
Jan 12, 2018, 12:12 PM
Ken's CAD Models
The Seniorita and Senior are both wonderful models. Looking forward to seeing more pictures Bill.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Jan 12, 2018, 02:57 PM
Boaterbill1
Thanks for the explanation Mike, I'll pay attention when getting around to purchasing the electronics. Thanks Ken. Sounds like you've been around this plane before?
It's marketed as a trainer, and easy to fly like the floater. Only bigger. It has 63 inch wing span.
I trashed my floater and currently completing the replacement and thinking about painting it or using packing tape? The goal is to fly after church sunday, god willing!
Mike, I remember now how much enjoyment come from building something like this. I have built several balsa boat kits in the past and this is just as intense as any of those. Better cause it won't just sit on a shelf when completed.
Is anyone a current Skymasters member?
Jan 12, 2018, 03:01 PM
Boaterbill1
The new floater progressing well!
Jan 12, 2018, 06:53 PM
treefinder
heh, you're popping those floaters out quick!

Mike of the North is a member as I recall, but he doesn't get on here much any more , I'm afraid.
Jan 13, 2018, 07:11 AM
Boaterbill1
Its unfortunate that I've learned the hard way. 1st floater still lives in Fla at a golf course. (Not accessable)
#2 just met it's demise here.
#3 has the hope of long lasting life.
They fly nice and are not really too hard to build.
Jan 13, 2018, 08:01 AM
treefinder
The best is when you can recover the electrics! You can consider the foam as practise. Not as easy to do that with the balsa models.
Jan 13, 2018, 12:28 PM
Ya. I was not concerned for you when you said you trashed it until I saw you were working with balsa. I am not too careful with my foamys and I like it like that! I would have to be more careful If I was working with bala.
You are covering the balsa frame with foam, or am I missing something...
Jan 13, 2018, 03:28 PM
treefinder
Two different planes. Senorita (balsa) and Floater (foam)
Jan 13, 2018, 04:09 PM
Bill
I have to renew my membership, so I have been a member of Skymasters for 3 years, it is a great group of flyers, during the summer they have a training night on Wed, that is open to anyone, they have meetings every other Thur. at the Orion center in Lake Orion go to the web site for more info.
http://www.skymasters.org/

Mike
Jan 13, 2018, 05:21 PM
a friend of mine, Vince Pettke, was in the Skymasters. He won awards for the excellent build jobs he did, even won a year's supply of airplane kits from a contest sponsored by a couple of the RC mags. Wish you could have met him.

He and I has Kadet Seniors, but his was perfection! One day shortly after launch, he handed me the Xmitter and said "Dave, something is wrong, help me!" I panicked, thinking I was to save the most perfect Kadet anyone had ever seen, but I discovered he had it setup for "Mode 1", not 2, like we fly, and I managed to get it safely home, still think it was luck...

-Dave
Last edited by dbacon; Jan 13, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply