View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 01, 2009, 12:27 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Don, I have to start out with the little brushed IPS from the Stick as thats the only motor that has connectors on it that I can use with the esc. I haven't gotten all the connectors for the bl's yet.
I just finally got the electrics going using the stuff I do have atm & was able to run the IPS & servo's off a GWS ICS50 esc. It was just amazing to use the tx & rx for the first time and actually watch everything actually work.

That's why I asked for a quicky set up for that motor because I would actually be able to fly it today.
So basically, I have all the nec stuff together & working to get the Wife's Lite Stick in the air using old school stuff & wanted to throw it on a foamy first.

I definately planned on throwing the BW in the BB. Was going to fly that and the Slo-V for awhile before stepping up to an aileron. Then was going to throw the orange Turnigy on GeneBond's Stang or that 3D one I got outta the Quiet Flyer mag.

So, I need to get connectors and Lipo's & Then I'll finally be good to go.
For the Trainer1, I figured on going with an over the wing pod set up since I don't have the right smaller prop.

So, here goes nothin!!! Maiden flight (if I can get through my honey do list fast enough) is set for Super Bowl 1/2 time. Unless I get things done fast enough to get it in the air to open the Super Bowl.
Going to have the wife do pics if possible.

Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2009, 05:30 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I think you meant BRUSHLESS motors not brushed (above).
I re read the original post and maybe I am reading something wrong but it seems correct to me. I suggested he use the BL (brushless) and forget the brushed. Meaning don't bother with the brushed motors when BL are available.
Don
Feb 01, 2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
I re read the original post and maybe I am reading something wrong but it seems correct to me. I suggested he use the BL (brushless) and forget the brushed. Meaning don't bother with the brushed motors when BL are available.
Don
It's not a big deal, your post says:

Brushed motors have three wires that go to the ESC. Connect them any way you want. If the motor turns the wrong direction just switch any two wires. It's that easy!

Brushed motors have two wires. Brushless motors have three.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 01, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Feb 01, 2009, 08:19 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
It's not a big deal, your post says:

Brushed motors have three wires that go to the ESC. Connect them any way you want. If the motor turns the wrong direction just switch any two wires. It's that easy!

Brushed motors have two wires. Brushless motors have three.

Bill

Thanks. Of course you are correct. I edited the post. I just did not see it.
Don
Feb 01, 2009, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Thanks. Of course you are correct. I edited the post. I just did not see it.
Don

I will just delete my posts, no need to take up banwidth on typos.
Feb 02, 2009, 10:25 AM

1st scratch built ready to go...

gotta make this quick, slammed with claims at work.
will need opinion if anything anyone see's something that might bring about bad results.

long story short, spent too much time sun puttin her together. wife needed help, SuperBowl, blahblah
put motor on frt. couldn't resist, had perfect amount of 3/16 dowel left for mnt, notice the down thrust, too much? too little?
Was just faster that way vs making pod for over the wing mnt. didn't have a prop small enough for orig plans.

ips brushed motor,
I believe the Prop is GWS 10/47
GWS IC 50 esc
3.6 g mini no name servos
GWS 6chnl rx
big huge fat 6c nicd, (ordering lipo's soon)
cg seems about almost 1.75 to 2 "'s from LE.
Gear stolen from Lite Stick
Tail dragger is little round rubber something.
Hot Glue everywhere. bent all the wire with needlenose.
I was just in such a hurry to make & fly something. will try to maiden tonight.
Hit the throttle & it jumped across the kitchen pretty quick.

Anything here throwing up a major red flag?

Jimmy
Feb 02, 2009, 12:31 PM
treefinder
LOoks pretty good to me, You must have been a fit of creative frenzy! will be interesting to see how she flies, (though I expect well, if you got the cg right - about 25-30% of wing chord) as I don't know if anyone has put the motor on nose of a T1 yet. Nice a calm this morning, did ya maiden?
Feb 02, 2009, 12:31 PM
treefinder
Hey, anyone going to Pontiac soccer place tomorrow?
Feb 02, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Hey, anyone going to Pontiac soccer place tomorrow?
Sorry Mike!

I got one punch left on my ticket and am saving that for the 17th of this month.

Ken
Feb 02, 2009, 01:54 PM
Springer, no maiden yet. Mornings are pretty hectic for me. got my work laptop trying to do claims, make lunch, coffee, take care of baby, get her to bb sitters, then get to work half hour late.
But she will be maiden'd tonight, oh yes, she will be! Well, thats if the weather cooperates.
My first flight will be over at the KMart lot. Where my house it, there are power & phone lines EVERYWHERE. Want to make sure it flies & I can control it good enough before I risk it out front.
I know the orig T1 is a great flyer, but yeah, mines different. I think the cg is about right. It balances on the finger tips fully loaded at about the crest of the wing maybe couple inches from LE. I did the tail different too. Took the stab back so I could one piece the elev.

Only thing I was really worried about would be the electrics. I have heard horror stories of frying components with an overly incorrect set up. Out of all the various used pieces I have, I just got the ones that will connect & run together atm.
Thx for the tip on the connectors. Thats what I'm going to go with.
I'll try to get a pic of the maiden. Not sure how well it will show up in the parking lot lights as it will surely be dark out.
Geez, talk about a recipe for disaster...
Noob flyer
unproven setup
over pavement instead of grass
in the dark
Should be interesting...

If there is carnage, i'll be sure to get pics of the corpse.

Jimmy
Feb 02, 2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Sorry Mike!

I got one punch left on my ticket and am saving that for the 17th of this month.

Ken
He's just holding out to see my first public crash!
Feb 02, 2009, 02:08 PM
treefinder
allrighty, I should be building anyway!
Feb 02, 2009, 02:16 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
allrighty, I should be building anyway!
Mike,
Welcome home!

I will be at Ultimate Soccer tomorrow.

See you there.
Don
Feb 02, 2009, 02:36 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer

Anything here throwing up a major red flag?

Jimmy
Jimmy,
Great, and very creative job. I like the looks. The structure appears to be very strong, the CG sounds good and the gear should all work fine as long as there is no binding or buckeling in the controls.

I see two issues. One is probably minor but the other looks major.

Potential major first. The angle of wing and tail do not look parallel. It looks like the wing is angled up too much. That will cause the plane to nose up and stall unless you input a lot of down elevator. The tendency to nose up will get much stronger as speed increases. So, the amount of down elevator needed will change with speed. Unfortunately this kind of behavior would be very challenging for an experienced pilot and almost certian disaster for a beginner. I suggest you reset the wing so a line from the leading edge to the trailing edge is parallel to the horizontal stab. A power off glide test is a good way to assure the angles on the wing and stab are close enough to allow a decent glide. If you try it as is my expectation is you will need to apply full down elevator and even then the plane will be wanting to nose up and stall.

Now, the more minor issue..... It is common practice to mount control horns so that the hole for the pushrod is over the hinge line. When that is done travel in both directions is equal. Your horns are mounted with the holes well behind the hinge line that means the elevator will travel more down (unless it binds) than up. You may not have enough down elevator available to offset the wings angle of attack. For the rudder will be much more sensitive in one direction.

Don
Feb 02, 2009, 02:52 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
I just looked back at the pictures and I see one other minor issue. The rear edge of the wing appears to be straight. It is common practice on wings of this type to taper the wing as it approaches the tips. It is best done by moving the trailing edge of the wing tip forward 1-1 1/2" and taper that out to zero at the polyhedral joint. So, you just need to cut away some of the trailing edge from the joint out to the tip. zero cut at the joint and 1- 1 1/2" at the tip.

The purpose of this cut is give the effect of washout toward the wing tips. Washout means the angle of attack (defined by a line from leading edge to trailing edge) is reduced on the outer portions of the wing. You want that to help assure when the wing stalls it will start to stall near the center rather than near a tip. A "tip stall" results in a sudden roll off into a dive. A stall of the center wing area just drops the nose but the wings stay horizontal. It is much more difficult to recover from a tip stall.

Quick Reply