View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 28, 2009, 09:22 PM
For us He died, in me He lives

Hey Mike... look here!

Hope I got your attn man...
Just need your opinion on something. My last bl esc has definitely flown the coop so I now need another one stat. But also want another rx. Add to that I am a po-boy. I am thinking about buying both from that bidproduct sight. Have you ordered anything else from them besides your rx's?
I can't remember whether or not you can specify pos or neg shift? or is it a crap shoot?

Your thoughts?

Thx man
Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2009, 09:54 PM
treefinder
Haven't bought anything from Bidproduct except the rx's, and i think all the cheap ones are Futaba compatible (all the ones i looked at specifically said that in the text) and therefore would be neg shift. They should work with your tx. Just remember to select the 72mhz ones, as they have 35, 40, etc ranges for Europe/land/water usage. Last time I looked, the Guanli were pins "up" and Springrc were pins flat or inline with long dimension. Shipping is higher than Hobbyking, so I didn't look much at anything but rx's as they are so much cheaper than anywhere else. And interestingly enough, still work just fine, even with the cobbled xtals. I should qualify, work just fine out here in the hustings where there's little interference. I did have a bit at Stony, not serious, but noticeable from time to time.
Aug 28, 2009, 10:48 PM
Cool, thx for the good words man. I have the one that Renns gave me still and will throw it on the Acorn to try it out. I'll just steal an esc from the BA or T1 & see how it goes.
I put the 6 chnl rx w/o xtals & a 15 amp esc with bec in the cart. Total was $13.00 & with shipping, $18.50. Not bad for a NIP 6 chnl rx & 15 amp esc.
Whatcha think?

Otherwise I will get just the rx which by itself was 8 bones shipped and get an HKSS esc from HK with my FC motor. Gonna get all my batts from Don along with servo tester & mixer & that will about do it for the B-Day money for 2009.

TTFN, goin to bed. Long Long day tomorrow. Pastor is coming over (yes Dennis, more church stuff!!! ) at 11:00, I plan on having the frt yard done before he gets here & back yard done after he leaves. Then surprise B-day party for my Uncle in Shelby TWP.
Sun is more yard work & Baileys B-day party. She turn's 2 Sun.

Lets hope the weather is nice at 6 am tomorrow & Sun eh...

Jimmy
Aug 29, 2009, 12:14 PM

ah rewound BW's...

Hey guys, taking a quick break from yard work...hooked up all my gear for the Acorn & tried out the rx's I have left to see if my older GWS 4 & 6 chnl may be useable & found out the rewound 1300 BW I took from my Smart Dart is bad now. When putting power to it, the Mag8 12 amp esc doesn't go through it's start up beeps and when I push the throttle up, the motor just chitters some & twitches a bit.
My question is what is the method in determining if there is just a short in the wiring? I just want to make sure it is not something simple or on the surface before I rewind this guy a 3rd time. Actually, If it needs a rewind again, It's done. I'm not rewinding that thing again. It worked like a charm this last time around but the last flight on my Dart ended in a pretty good crash. My build time is sooo limited, I don't want to spend it winding a motor. I'll buy another with my next HK order.
On the up side, seems both my 4 & 6 chnl rx's seem to work fine.

I just bought a used Hitech 05s for 12 bones. Had I known my 6 chnl GWS was good & my BW was bad, probably wouldn't have.

Ah well... live & learn.....& learn.....& learn some more.

Here's a new saying I just thought of... kinda of a spinoff on a saying from my Harley riding days...
"Live to Learn... Learn to Live" hmmm I like it.
Aug 31, 2009, 07:58 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Looks like great flying this week

I don't know where we are flying next, but this week looks beautiful according to USAirnet. I will fly even if we do not get together, but its fun when we do.

Ken
Aug 31, 2009, 08:52 AM
Your are correct in that. I was just out back at work & all I have to say is this..... for those who are retired, you BETTER be out flying atm!

It is absolutely GORGEOUS outside right now.
It's killing me!
Aug 31, 2009, 09:01 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I am up for another flying night. Has to be in the evening though. My place is available if you guys want to do that. Otherwise there is always the weekend. But this is Labor Day weekend too.

I may have 2 new planes .... well technically 5 new planes ready by this weekend.
Aug 31, 2009, 11:53 AM
about to go to lunch, gonna try out the BA again. Have an APC 6x5.5 on it this time. LHS didn't have 6x5 GWS or APC. I'll cut a prop later tonight to get a 6x5 if needed.
Wish me luck.
Aug 31, 2009, 08:26 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Your are correct in that. I was just out back at work & all I have to say is this..... for those who are retired, you BETTER be out flying atm!

It is absolutely GORGEOUS outside right now.
It's killing me!
oh yeah!
I was flying off Houghton Lake all afternoon. F1 Hydro, Sea BB34, and Frog...great fun!

Dennis sorry I'm up north until after the holiday.
Don
Aug 31, 2009, 09:25 PM
treefinder
Couple more cool nites and maybe these skeeters will be gone! Up this am and could see my breath! Tried out the Landing gear on P40, but it's too wiggly, jiggles and noses in. went to 3/32 wire tonite and some more structure to hold it solid. tomorrow another try. Mid day out to fly the BBAP and got 20 or so shots of a neighbor's 3hole golf course behind his house. This evening it was the Mike and skyray for the two little gals who are visiting. Now they both want to learn to fly. Gonna have to refit the ol' T1 again.

Yeah, it is fun to be retired......

On a more serious note, I'd be up for an after-work stop at Stony or even my place if you're interested, Ken. And an evening session at Dennis's will work any nite but Wed for me. Not doing anything special on Sat either, though who knows what the weather will be.
Aug 31, 2009, 09:42 PM
SGTalon,

This entire week is supposed to be nice. Do you have any plans of having the fellahs over any Tuesday through Friday this week after dinner time ? Hope you still have my number.

I won't be able to make it on the weekend as we are having a 2-day event at my RC club's field.

See Ya,
Joe M.
Aug 31, 2009, 09:49 PM

sell me your chnl 30 xtals!

well, got all excited to go to Meadowbrook at lunch today. Pulled in, saw a fellow flyer flying his Trex. He was excited to see me throw up a couple foamies & I was more than happy to show them off. So I grab my T1 & BA & put them on the t/gate & grab my radio. Then look at the rx's, hang my head & sigh... & put everything back in the truck.

My only 30 xtal was still in the 17" NB at home. Flew him until it was too dark after everyone left from Bailey's party.
So fella's, check your stash. I will be more than happy to spend the rest of my birthday money buying chnl 30 xtals. I do NOT plan on letting that happen again. By this weekend if noone has any, I'll go to Flightline & buy a couple, maybe 3 at least.

Don, when you get home shoot me a note & we'll hook up for me to get some batts if I have any money left. I need at least 1 360 3s.
Do you guys remember me having the T1's esc cut out on me due to LVC? That batt now has a bad cell.
That leaves me with only 1 batt for that plane.
Little string of bad luck but good things come of it. This has pushed me to get going on the Mudbug. I am retiring the NB anyway and that gear is perfect for this little guy.
I am anxious to fly around the frt yard on calm evenings & be able to do it without having to hold a harrier. Last night was fun cruizing the NB in large circuits through 4 yards up & down the street but she needs speed to do it. Havinbg to hold a harrier takes too much juice on that one. But getting it up on plane & flying level takes less throttle but gets her going pretty fast.

Dennis, I wanna come by for more flying but will probably not be able to this week. I need to give momma a bit more notice than a couple days when we have this much going on at home in terms of honey do list & appliances that need fixing. Plus gonna chop flying time & concentrate on getting the Mudbug built anyway. But I will try to free up time soon though. At least I can fly going to & from work & at lunch, weather permitted.

Well that's enough for this novel.
Hitting the hey.
TTFN
Jimmy
Sep 01, 2009, 04:39 AM
Hey guys, is it possible to ressurect a cell? The esc in my T1 was set at 2s. So it let my 3s go down to 8.6v & it's the first cell that shows the tell tale blinking light on my Turnigy charger.
Mike...remember we talked about those esc's that have the extra wire with the little jumper cap. on or off ment 2s or 3s. Well, mine is off for 3s aparently. The jumper cap is on & my bad batt measures exactly 8.6v.

Live to Learn, Learn to live.
Sure is quiet outside right now.
Sep 01, 2009, 07:56 AM
treefinder
Still still! and no longer dark. time to test the new lg.
I never did figure out the jumper. just left it on & fly 2s-seems to work ok. You can prob get UM1 or UM5 for couple bucks & solder wires on for pins like I did. They work fine. The large size are pricey - $11 last time I bought one locally.
Sep 01, 2009, 09:13 AM
ok, thx man.

oh & btw... BA with the 6x5.5... omg... sure don't need much throw now! Back to learninbg as she reacts right quick with that faster air cruizing over the surfaces. Flew at first light that & the T1. What a joy!

Quick Reply