View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Discussion

SEMFF--South East Michigan Foamy Flyers

Springer, dz1sfb, and I have met several times to fly and discuss all aspects of building and flying Foamies. We all have BluBabies and derivatives but we also have other scratch built foamies and even a few kits.

We all live in SE MI and have met and flown at the Oak Grove picnic area of Stony Creek park several times, and occasionally at other locations.

This thread is intended to be a place for SE MI builders and flyers to share information about getting together for informal flying sessions and other local events of interest.

No Dues, no membership list--- just fun!

Don
Click here for weather or for full Airnet Current weather and winds. Or, Here for wind mapper.

Click here for Thread on the SEMFF COMBAT Planes Tuesday evenings 6 PM till dark are usually Combat sessions at Stony Creek Metro Park.

Flying sites-- open to public Click here for a nice Google map by SGTalon showing many flying fields.

Stony Creek Park-- most often used is Oak Grove Picnic area's open space just east of the parking lot. See photo below. Note: Metro Parks pass, annual or daily required Open year round, snow and water flight areas available also. map here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=St...eocode=ADDRESS Tuesday evenings 6 PM till dark are usually Combat sessions at Stony Creek Metro Park.

Indoor @ Ultimate Soccer --- Mostly Tuesdays 11-1 PM Some other days and time occasionally available. Flying Organized by SkyMasters RC club. Club membership is not required, but AMA regular or Park flier registration card is required.
Indoor flying on Tuesdays throughout the winter in a premier facility featuring a 365 foot by 260 foot flying area, with ceiling heights from 45 to 75 feet!
867 South Blvd, Pontiac, MI.
Additional Information, View Event Photos!

Indoor... (NEW 2013) Brighton area Indoor flying Saturday evenings. See flyer below.

Indoor...Stoney Creek Community Church location and address shown here Check recent posts or PM "springer" for latest schedule.

Scheonher Rd. at about 21-1/2 Mile Rd. at the Public school owned property next to the Catholic Church. Sorry this site is reported to be closed to RC flying.
Troy--Livernois between 16 Mile and 17 Mile roads--Zion Church-- a small field with adjacent paved lot for ROG's. Note church is OK with a few users at a time. Please get permission before planning any kind of an event which involves more than 5-6 guys. See photo below.

Joseph Delia Park, Sterling Heights. North side of 18 Mile Road between Dequinder and Ryan. see this post

Attica Township park see this post

Lyon Oaks county park on the south side of Pontiac Trail, west of Wixom rd. See this post.

Greenmead-- Just south of 8mile rd. On the west side of Newburgh Rd in Livonia. See this post and this aerial photo

Fraser Flying Club site See this post and aerial photo below.

Beverly Park is Between 6 and 7 Mile on Merriman rd. See post 3847 for details.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Dec 26, 2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added Brighton area indoor info.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
I'll be flying at the Ultimate Soccer indoor facility tomorrow. Springer and dz1sfb have said they might stop by to check it out.
Dec 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Springer has reported the weather report indicates we may be able to fly outdoors tomorrow. With lowest wind about 4.

So maybe we will arrive at Stony around 2-3. What do you think guys?
Dec 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Every one with interest in flying foamies in SE MI is welcome.
I wanna come! Let's see...mapquest says you're 725.51 miles away. If I left here at midnight I could drive straight through and make it just in time.

kendall
Dec 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
I consider Ann Arbor my home and it always will be. I come back to MI at least once a year for a few months and since I have met most of you this year I am going to subscribe and vicariously enjoy flying in SE Mich with you guys.

I can probably show up for some of your met ups, I just need 6-9 months notice ahead of time
Dec 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
I wanna come! Let's see...mapquest says you're 725.51 miles away. If I left here at midnight I could drive straight through and make it just in time.

kendall

You maybe closer than you think--- look to the left of this message. RCG calculation based on Long. and Lat. says you are only 418 miles away.
Dec 15, 2008, 04:18 PM
treefinder
Don: if I join ya at the soccer place, the 2pm will be on the way home for me too! If things go like normal, Ken will get to Stoney about 3:30, and it's not as nice and warm as it was last time, so maybe closer to his time? Ken, what do you suggest?

Kendall: hey, guy We'll make you an honorary SE michigander!

Chuck: so when's the next trip back?
Dec 15, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I have a few hours of vacation time left and would like to check out the soccer arena, and bring a couple of planes also. The BB24, Sea BB 26, and maybe the Sea BB 42. Of course if I am at the soccer place then it would make sense to go over to Stoney after that.

TC,
Yeh what Springer said. Let us know when you'll be in town and we may be able to get somethng in.

Kendall,
Hope we get to meet someday in person.

Ken
Dec 15, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hack of all trades...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr

We all live in SE MI and have met and flown at the Oak Grove picnic area of Stony Creek park several times, and occasionally at other locations.

Don
Howdy guys.

I've flown a few times myself at Oak Grove at Stoney Creek, but it's been a long time for me. I might grab a foamy or two and try to be out there tomorrow afternoon.

Besides Oak Grove, where else do you guys fly in this area?

Smooth
Dec 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
You guys are nuts.

It may be low winds but it is going to be 18 degrees!!!!! Your lipos will freeze solid!

Where is this indoor place you guys are talking about? What are the rules for flying there? I could do some indoor. The outdoor stuff seems a bit dangerous!
Dec 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
let's hear more about the indoor site. I really need to make one of those polar fleece transmitter cozys: I haven't flown since the warm air went south! Need to dust off the f-22
Last edited by DesignGeek; Dec 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Dec 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP

Indoor flying in SE MI

Link to Flyer on the Indoor site

Rules, let's see:
1. you must register and have an AMA membership card before flying
2. You must have the freq. pin before turning on any non 2.4 radio
3. No whining if are involved in a mid air.
4. Try to fly in front of the flight line.
5. Be curtious
6. You can fly as much as you want, but we don't clear the air space for anyone. Typically there are 6-10 planes in the air at all times and contact is not unusual. Remember rule 3.

These are not the official rules but my intrepretation.
Dec 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
AKA Don
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Spanky
Howdy guys.

I've flown a few times myself at Oak Grove at Stoney Creek, but it's been a long time for me. I might grab a foamy or two and try to be out there tomorrow afternoon.

Besides Oak Grove, where else do you guys fly in this area?

Smooth
Smooth,
I hope you meet up with us sometime. Stay tuned in here to know if we really plan to make it tomorrow. So, far thats been just talk. Below 30 degrees would be a first for me.
One other flying site is shown on dz1sfb's blog. That was the site of the first SE MI BluBaby and other Foamies flyin last summer.
Dec 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
For us He died, in me He lives

SE MI beginner dyin' for some indoor flyin'

Hey guys, I live in Clinton Twp and am just now getting seriously addicted to rc fight. I currently have a Wild Hawk (yes cheapy version of Easy Star, but hey, $30.00 at the swap meet!), little FlyZone AeroScout, Slow-V coming for Christmas and I am gearing up to do my own scratch built foamies.

I hate that the indoor gig in Pontiac is on Tue's only as I have to work. But I will try to get there with the Slo-V when they open on the weekend after Christmas. I am also looking forward to checking out Stoney as well.
Granted I am a newb, but my love for all things airplanes (especially warbirds) goes pretty deep and I am really interested in learning as much as possible.

Would ya'll mind a newb tag along? I promise I won't whine when the inevitable crash ensues... I would just really love a chance to see actual experienced pilots do their thing & try to soak up some good flying habits & knowledge.

Looking forward to hearing from ya!

Jimmy
Dec 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
For us He died, in me He lives

almost forgot to mention the BluBaby...

Oh and by the way, I am dying to see the BluBaby in action! I just printed out the plans the other day and also bought a foamie electrics kit with these in it... do you think the 33 " blubaby would do ok with these or no? as I just bought this set up from the classified adds last week & await their arrival.

Brushless Outrunner Motor:
Kv - 1300rpm/v
Max Load: 7.5A
No Load Current: 0.7A
Suggested Lipo: 3 cell 11.1v
Thrust: 400g+
Suggested Prop: 8x3.8
Weight: 20g

Servos:
weight: 4.3 grams
Supply voltage 4.8V 6.0V Speed 0.12sec/60oNo load running Torque 0.7kg.cm (9.71oz.in) 0.8kg.cm(11.1oz.in) Operating angle 40o/one side pulse traveling 400usec
12amp ESC:
Rating: 12A Burst, 10A Constant
FET: 6
BEC: 1.5Amp
Timing: Auto
PWM: 8k
Lipo: 2~3
NiMH:4~12
Weight: 9grams(10-12w/plug attached)

the prop i sent is a 9050 Directdrive GWS prop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

Quick Reply