Thread Tools
Mar 02, 2003, 03:56 AM
Registered User

How to repair Tiger Moth engine mount?


Flying about an hour before sunset tonight, I lost my Tiger in the sun and when I could see it again and work out which direction it was going I flew it into a power line. It nosed in from about 20' and broke the engine mount stick clean off at the firewall.
Any ideas how to repair this? I'm thinking I might drill about 1/2" into each piece and join them with a 1" long piece of carbon rod that I have. However not sure how to get the correct alignment if I do that , try my luck I guess.
Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
Thanks, Bernie.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2003, 07:33 AM
Registered User
Pat Daily's Avatar
Here is how I did it. I drilled a hole in the mount that remains in the plane and put in a 2mm carbon rod and then drilled a hole in the broken piece, glue it all together with 5 min epoxy. Works well.

Pat
Mar 02, 2003, 10:39 AM
Registered User
MrFlyer's Avatar
I actaully dug the piece out of mine. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I used Pro bond to glue the new one and eyeballed the angle. No problems.
Mar 03, 2003, 01:13 AM
Registered User
galloping gimp's Avatar
Bernie-

When I broke my TM's motor stick, I did THIS.

- Jeff
Mar 03, 2003, 01:18 AM
Inbox is almost full
LESLIEx317537's Avatar
I used a round wooden chopstick and now I can use a Dual IPS or Single IPS without having to rotate the stick 90 degrees.

My corsair also uses a round chopstick to mount to the firewall.

Mar 03, 2003, 03:27 AM
Registered User

Thanks.


Gentlemen,
thank you all for your responses. I had more time to research this problem via the search engine today and marvelled at the variety of approaches taken; from the 'CA/epoxy the broken bits together 'approach to the elegantly engineered approach of Jeff/Doppler.
In the end I adopted a quick and effective fix; I drilled a small hole approx. 1/2" into both the firewall stub piece and the engine mount piece, then cut a 1" piece of 0.055 piano wire that I had left over from making a slightly beefier undercarriage. I then epoxied the stick back together using the wire piece as a 'dowel joiner'. The slight flexibilty of the wire afforded me a chance to slightly increase the thrust line angle, as the model turned left as originally built. Of course this robust fix means that I'll probably just bend the prop shaft next time, as I doubt it will break at the same place agin! Thanks again.
Regards, Bernie.


Thread Tools