Dec 12, 2008, 01:00 AM
Great Southern Land
Thread OP
Discussion

Another new 2.4GHz system!

HK T4A - only $29 for a complete system!!

See http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8338

Oh so cheap, BUT it has twin receivers! This is almost unheard of in the lower priced systems.

I believe twin Rx to be very important. Why? Firstly I worked in the video industry for 21 years and it is common knowledge there that twin Rx is far more reliable in getting the signal through. If one Rx can't receive the other will.

Secondly I have owned a Spektum 7 (twin Rx ) now for 12 months and not a single problem.

I've ordered a HK T4A to have as a backup system.

I'll have it in a few days & will let you know how she goes.

Kev
Qantas

Like Qantas-never crashed-I wish!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Unreal. While I'm sure the tx is a POS, it is hard to believe they can even buy the 2.4 circuitry. Let us know how it goes.
Dec 12, 2008, 05:00 AM
The reviewer
It's starting to look as if there's a manufacturer in China that's churning out the basic receiver and RF systems for this new crop of 2.4GHz stuff.

I'm picking that the RF section is the same as used in the iMax 9X and the Turborix 2.4 systems. Either one manufacturer is supplying everyone else or they're copying the design (perhaps more likely given the Chinese attitudes to intellectual property).
Dec 12, 2008, 09:36 AM
This just goes to show how much profit is being made by JR/Specktrum on their receivers. The actual cost to manufacture spectrum receivers is much less than the that of 72MHz receivers so hopefully when they feel they have recovered their R&D costs they will come down in price. The cost differential between their receivers is probably in the range of $5 but to charge $50 or more seems out of line.

I don't mean to bad mouth JR?Spektrum as I have just converted to their X9303 and love it but really have a tough time spending a couple of thousand dollars to replace the 15 to 20 72MHz receivers I have. They better hope that someone doesn't break their propriatary firmware code and come out with a bunch of $20 receivers.
Dec 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
Lou
Lou
I strongly suspect that they have already recovered their investment. Let's just hope that the onslaught of Asian 2.4 systems will drive the price down for the Spektrum, Jeti and other systems.
Dec 13, 2008, 08:25 AM
Beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782
This just goes to show how much profit is being made by JR/Specktrum on their receivers. The actual cost to manufacture spectrum receivers is much less than the that of 72MHz receivers so hopefully when they feel they have recovered their R&D costs they will come down in price. The cost differential between their receivers is probably in the range of $5 but to charge $50 or more seems out of line.

I don't mean to bad mouth JR?Spektrum as I have just converted to their X9303 and love it but really have a tough time spending a couple of thousand dollars to replace the 15 to 20 72MHz receivers I have. They better hope that someone doesn't break their propriatary firmware code and come out with a bunch of $20 receivers.
Totally Agree!
The price of 2.4G system would down and down, we should just be patient. The profit of 2.4G system in the market are still very large.
Dec 13, 2008, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
While I'm sure the tx is a POS, it is hard to believe they can even buy the 2.4 circuitry.
The 2.4 GHz circuitry is usually a pair of chips from cypress that you or I can buy in single unit quantities from a distributor for less than $5 a piece - I'm sure they get better rates, or they could be using some newer chip (there is for example apparently a 2.4GHz chip specifically for guitar hero devices). Transmitters intended for more than indoor use would have a power amplifier chip adding a tiny bit more to the cost, but I think the real cost would be in the stick mechanisms and all that...

If someone gets one or sees one, it would be interesting to find out the FCC ID and look it up online...
Dec 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstratton
If someone gets one or sees one, it would be interesting to find out the FCC ID and look it up online...
FCC ID? I would bet that the cost of hiring a qualified testing lab, running the tests and submitting the paperwork would be greater then the potential profits if it sells retail at $30.00
Dec 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
Lou
Lou
Would the FCC ID will actually be on the already 'proofed' circuit board that was developed by another company? All any company would need to do is to use that board in their system.

As well, one needs to consider that the BOM ( bill of materials ) for this stuff is pretty darn low. Aside from the already designed chip from another company, ( a chip which likely is also manufactured in Asia ) the rest of the componts are probably made in China for pennies.

I would imagine that the BOM for a Spektrum receiver is no more than 11 dollars .... and that is a VERY liberal estimate. Look at it being more around 7 dollars.
Dec 14, 2008, 02:01 AM
Beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstratton
The 2.4 GHz circuitry is usually a pair of chips from cypress that you or I can buy in single unit quantities from a distributor for less than $5 a piece - I'm sure they get better rates, or they could be using some newer chip (there is for example apparently a 2.4GHz chip specifically for guitar hero devices). Transmitters intended for more than indoor use would have a power amplifier chip adding a tiny bit more to the cost, but I think the real cost would be in the stick mechanisms and all that...

Not only Cypress chipsets but also Nordic's 2.4G chipset nrf2401 . Many 2.4G TX and RX use it.
Dec 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
Marion

I Ordered One Today

Anybody know if this comes with a manual of any sort? I could not find any reference to a manual on their Web Site.

I'll be looking for more reports on this system...
Dec 15, 2008, 05:42 AM
Great Southern Land
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
Anybody know if this comes with a manual of any sort? I could not find any reference to a manual on their Web Site.

I'll be looking for more reports on this system...
No, no manual . I just received mine today . It is as you would expect for this price - very basic.

No programming except trims. Battery is 6 x AA & the compartment is marked AA 1.5V, but there is a charging jack. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet it won't run on rechargeables regardless of there being a charging jack.
The 6 x 1.2V = 7.8V & I think it is meant to run on 9V.

This was the same with the Easy * RTF. The transmitter would not run on AA 1.2V yet there was a charging jack

It is dual channel though (twin receivers) and that is a big plus.

Kev
Dec 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
Kev, many thanks for the information on this system. Please let us all know how well it works after you have had a chance to fully evaluate it. This could be the radio many of us have been waiting for.
Dec 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
Great Southern Land
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackken
Kev, many thanks for the information on this system. Please let us all know how well it works after you have had a chance to fully evaluate it. This could be the radio many of us have been waiting for.
Will do. It's a Christmas present though, I'm not allowed to use it until Christmas day!

But I will let you fellas know

Kev
Qantas

Like Qantas-never crashed-I wish!
Dec 16, 2008, 03:16 PM
Marion

no manual :-(

Thanks for the info Kev. Darn, no manual -- not that I really expected one at that price. I had hoped to find a little info about the transmitter from the manual.

Marion

Quick Reply