Jan 14, 2009, 01:17 AM
Hello! Has anybody tried to use the transmitter with simulator? There is a trainer port, but what cable should be used to connect it to PC?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2009, 01:47 AM
Argue for your limitations

Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsosnovski
Hello! Has anybody tried to use the transmitter with simulator? There is a trainer port, but what cable should be used to connect it to PC?
A cable comes with the 6ch. But, it is only for programming right now.
AJ
Jan 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
How of many of these transmitters could be running at a field at the same time?
Jan 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
Up in smoke!
Is the IMAX9 available in the US yet and if so does anyone have a link to the seller?
Jan 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
Marion
Does anybody know if the HK radio is spread spectrum or not ? If so, which type is it DSSS or FASS (or whatever the proper types are) ??
Jan 14, 2009, 04:19 PM
Great Southern Land
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
How of many of these transmitters could be running at a field at the same time?
My guess would be 10. Same as other 2.4 Ghz
Jan 14, 2009, 04:25 PM
Great Southern Land
Thread OP

What voltage?

I'm running my Tx on 8 NiMh AAs at 9.6V
I think the Tx should be run on 12V.

However, although I have not had any problems - even receives well at 500 metres with the range check button down - I am wondering if 9.6V may cause a problem in some situations?

Anyone know?

Kev
Qantas

Like Qantas-never crashed-I wish!
Jan 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
Berkie, where do you get the 10 figure from?

I saw Spektrum Challenge ads where they were running a transmitter without any problem with 40 other transmitters turned on:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx
Jan 14, 2009, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
Does anybody know if the HK radio is spread spectrum or not ? If so, which type is it DSSS or FASS (or whatever the proper types are) ??
Wow. A lot of good questions here. So, I picked one of the easiest. There IS a maximum # of frequencies possible. Because almost all 2.4ghz use very similar electronics, they all use 2 8-bit counters to generate frequencies. Therefore, the physical maximum (for now) frequencies is 65,535 (not 65536 - the first generated frequency is for the transmitter itself). The freq. generated for a given receiver (set up for binding) is assigned by chosing whatever transmitter is the closest (that is broadcasting a bind signal) and eliminating any spurious signals around it. The experts will blast me on this explanation. But, it is the simpliest to understand.
FHSS and DSSS are both spread spectrum. HK is FHSS.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 14, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Jan 14, 2009, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Is the IMAX9 available in the US yet and if so does anyone have a link to the seller?
Not available yet.
AJ
Jan 14, 2009, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie

However, although I have not had any problems - even receives well at 500 metres with the range check button down - I am wondering if 9.6V may cause a problem in some situations?
Anyone know?
It will work just fine. The only down side is that the warning light (on whatever xmitter you have) will show sooner than it would if you used Alkaline batts. The optimal here is to use a Lipo 1800 mah or bigger. However, make sure it is less than 15mm thick so it will fit in the xmitter. With a lipo, you will need to charge your transmitter (the lipo) about every 1-3 months and the drain on the lipo (while on the shelf) is so small (.1%/mo) that it is negilible.
AJ
Jan 15, 2009, 04:37 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
Berkie, where do you get the 10 figure from?

I saw Spektrum Challenge ads where they were running a transmitter without any problem with 40 other transmitters turned on:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx
The "10" comes from an MAAA advicerary/procedure directive to control the number of models in the airspace, nothing to do with RF technicalities.

EGB.
Jan 15, 2009, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by Berkie

Anyone know?

well, the reason why NiMh batery is 1.2V, is because the inner resistance is much lover than Alcalines. Therefore under load-(when they are supplying current), output voltages of both are similar (under load output voltage of Alkaline batt. drops down much more then NiMh). So dont worry NiMh batery will work
Jan 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
I got one of the units. It seems to be working OK. They didn't have a mode two version, so I ordered the mode one version and converted it over to mode two. it looks very generic in that a vendor can have a sticker label made up and customize it for whatever name or brand that they like.
The range looks to be OK, I got about 200 meters on the ground for a range check.

Before anyone asks, it is only a 4 channel basic radio system, no dual rates, no extra channels, no computer interface, no model memory, et cetera. Although it may be theoretically possible to hook up a fifth channel, I did not try. it only costs $30.00 plus shipping it is not a fancy super radio with lots of features and frills and stuff.

It doesn't have a failsafe per se, if the receiver loses its signal, the servos all go to neutral (which means half throttle), and it may take a few seconds for the receiver to lock back in and start working.

Here is some more information on the radio that I gleaned from other sources:
How to bind the receiver...
Ok these instructions work, but the receivers I got do not have LED's in them. So you simply wait a few seconds and sort of imagine the LEDs are there.
With credit to Albert
1. Install the battery to 2.46 transmitter and shut it down.
2. Insert the matching lines to the channel Bat port of the receiver.
3. Connect the receiver battery to any one of the channel- port, on the same time the two LED are flashing and this means the receiver are going to the match status.
4. Press and hold the button on the transmitter, and then switch on the power supply.
5. Observe the LED on the receiver, if found that the LED is not flash anymorc and that means successful matched. (This process about lOs)
6. Release the match button on the transmitter, take out the match line.
7. Install the server and then test.
8. If the tests fail, please repeat the action above.
9. If the tests success, then insert the power supply port into BAT, match complete.
The negative pin is on the short side of the recver.

is it compatible with any other receivers brand like spektrum or something or can be added more receivers

NO, it is not compatible systems. This is something different this time. These systems are using neither DSSS nor FHSS, but what the mfgr calls "PPM/GFSK". GFSK, Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying, is a different modulation from both FHSS and DSSS. It sends its signal on a single carrier/frequency, and blocks this frequency, just as old-school 35/72MHz equipment. But there's no old-school crystal - the system selects the frequency by itself. As the name implies, the frequency is then varied (shifted) very slightly to indicate the 1's and 0's of the digital signal. GFSK is still legal according to the european standard EN 300 328 which regulates 2.4GHz equipment.
With thank's to: Thomanie of Norway.

So it sends on a single frequency, where the DSM2 sends on two frequencies...and the FASTT system jumps all over the place. This means this radio is more likely to get jammed by something else. Despite, when the rules say about 2.4...there can and will be interference.

hi, does this radio have a programmable failsafe or how does the failsafe work on this radio specifically the throttle ?

Albert (44 points);
Just like the radios we used ten or more years ago, which in those days we had NO reversing switchers
This is an entry level transmitter, a stock slandered four channel radio with servo reversing switchers.
NO other features. No real fail safe. When the receiver loses the signal all the servos return to neutral (1/2 throttle?).
If you want more features then you will have to spend more money.
And at US$30.00 I think it is a good buy, I bought one and two extra receivers, as of yet I have not put it in a aeroplane, but a ground range test with the receiver and transmitter 600mm off the ground was a good 100 meters, and that will do me.
Giv

Glen
Got the 3 radios now, when you turn the radio off no output is given so itll work with all standard speed controller failsafes and the like. so this is great for robot wars people

Here is a URL to the technical specifications data about the microcontroller they are using with this radio:
http://www.ai-hk.cn/miconiclan/EM78P4589.pdf

HobbyKing uses a 6 channel receiver with the 4 channel transmitter

Ok here you can see the throttle detent and the locations where the centering lever and spring will go. You move the detent to the other joystick and move the centering lever, spring and adjustable clip post to the other joystick.

Joystick centering parts consists of a lever, a spring and a T shaped post for the spring.

The handy tool I quickly fabricated to make it easier to hold the lever while I slipped on the little spring.

The main logic board with microprocessor.

CPU on the MLB

The front of the main logic board shows a possible place for a fifth channel reversing switch.

This pic shows the push button used for the bind and range test button from the front of the transmitter.

Here is a pic of the connectors going to the logic board from the joysticks and RF module and trainer jack.

To bind the receiver to the transmitter, you need to plug in the bind plug into the battery connector slot on the receiver. Then you follow the binding instructions like mentioned above.
Jan 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Up in smoke!
Now that you have the radio I have to ask, does it work with FMS?

Quick Reply