Mar 01, 2003, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Rave

FEDA/Hummingbird HowTo Info

Hi All,

Being the proud new pilot of a Feda electric and having survived the very brief build / setup instructions I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread full of pictures and setups for other newcomers. This is my first heli, my only other experience is on the Real Flight G2 simulator. I was up and hovering from the first flight onwards and in a confined area (6x6ft), so this bird must have something going for it!

My setup:

Feda - DragonFly
GWS 6ch micro RX (36MHz FM)
GWS PG03
"no name" micro servos as shipped with heli.
Standard 7 cell 600maH AAA NiMH pack.
All up weight including battery and training u/c is 293gm.

What follows are three setup / equipment layout shots.
Last edited by imeins; Nov 03, 2018 at 05:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2003, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
2 of 3
Mar 01, 2003, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
3 of 3

Something I did straight away was to apply some teflon lubricant from a RadioShack/Tandy lube pen to basically everything that rubs and moves. Ball joints, tail rotor bushes etc. It all seems a bit smoother that way.
Mar 01, 2003, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
And just to prove it does fly. This is on the third charge.. My wife says I look that excited that I should be on valium!.
Mar 01, 2003, 08:22 AM
Nek
Nek
DIY O.G.
Keep it up!

Glad to see you had *the* feeling when flying your bird ^^
Mar 01, 2003, 09:38 AM
rck
rck
Last edited by rck; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Mar 01, 2003, 09:46 AM
rck
rck
Last edited by rck; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Mar 01, 2003, 03:19 PM
I'm glad I caught this thread as I just ordered a Century Hummingbird 9same thing) - can't go wrong with $120.00 shipped for the kit and mixer/speed controls. I have the rest of the materials.

I have a brushless LMH which I love and in the past I got a Piccolo off of Ebay that had problems and I never could get it to fly right. I can't imagine using a micro to learn on, so I commend you Ingmar!

I hope to have more success with this one. I kept loosing the bearings in the head even on a mild bump with the Piccolo. Maybe the FEDA is a bit more robust? In addition, I hope to have a set of Kokam 1020's in soon to try. Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing the info. I'll be looking for more input on this model.

Steve
Mar 01, 2003, 06:20 PM
Principal Member
steve, which combo is this for 120? i cannt seem to find it on their site.
Mar 01, 2003, 08:06 PM
Go away for two days and come back and look what's happened, Ingmar flying his FEDA in the living room already

Cheers
Chris from OZ.
Mar 01, 2003, 08:19 PM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Eating crow for dinner tonight.....................

It's a credible copy.
Can't go wrong for $79.95.
Here's my "............bird" outfitted with

GWS R4P Sub Mini Four Channel Receiver
GWS Pico BB servos
GWS 100 FP main motor ESC
GWS 50 FP T/R ESC
Micro Z72 3" tuned tube antenna
CSM HLG 200 HH gyro ( great little 8 gram package)
2S 1020mah Kokam Lipoly pack

Getting 20 min average flight times.

I don't think Benny Hill thought much of it nor did my bride who took the pics in out entertainment center room.

Now be gentle with me boys.....................Heh, Heh

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major, USAF
Retired
Mar 01, 2003, 08:20 PM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
One more...................
Mar 01, 2003, 09:06 PM
Sorry about that - the Hummingbird assembled is $80.00 and the mixer/speed controls are $40.00. UPS ground shipping is free with online orders over $49.00. You will need 2 servos a receiver and a gyro.

Steve M
Mar 01, 2003, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Yeah Chris see what happens when I go unsupervised for a day or so! It's just a blast, strangest thing is that the wife does'nt seem to mind either

I took it outside a little while ago, bit of a gentle breeze in the front yard. Gee it helps get the heli up, makes for a bit of fun balancing power with the wind to try and maintain a level hover. Really need to get some LiPo for it though, I have two NiMH packs and the home brew charger is getting a workout. I have ordered 14 850mA/H cells from www.jaycar.com.au, I'll make up another two packs of NiMH but I think I'll probably get some LiPos too.

A friend (old X-Cell flyer) is coming over this afternoon to check out the Feda, he has not flown for ages (too many crashes!) so he went off models for a while. I'll see if I can rekindle his interests.

Boyd, Benny Hill!!! Cool!.. Anyway gotta go flatten another battery..
Mar 02, 2003, 04:46 AM
Hi imeins, yeah indeed this thread is helpful. I am currently flying the Feda ( My first heli ), intially, I still mange to get it up in the air, however, after 6-7 packs of flying and banging, the heli don seems to be able to take off! I read about increasing the pitch by bending the main rotor blade, but it did not help after doing so. I tot the motor might be burnt, but by changing to a speed 300, tat do not help either. Now I am lost, looking at the heli. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply