Sailboat Monsoon from UH? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 23, 2008, 03:31 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Martin,

I didn't actually add ballast in the hull, I was actually asking what weight people were using in the ballast bulb at the end of the keel.

I will try and remove some of the wight (I didn't epoxy it permanently yet) and see if it makes any difference.

I do also admit to being totally in the dark about sailboat setup. I did remove the slop in the rudder tube (and replaced the rudder pushrod). Using the original rigging at this stage (will replace with braided fishing line when it fails).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
Useful Idiot
From the photos I've seen, rather than adding weight underwater, I'd think about a lighter carbon fibre mast and spars with a really adjustable vang/gooseneck.
Btw, Murphy's law indicates the standing rigging will fail when the boat's sailing. If you've got doubts about that supplied, I'd change before that happens.
Jan 05, 2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster
Martin,

I didn't actually add ballast in the hull, I was actually asking what weight people were using in the ballast bulb at the end of the keel.

I will try and remove some of the wight (I didn't epoxy it permanently yet) and see if it makes any difference.

I do also admit to being totally in the dark about sailboat setup. I did remove the slop in the rudder tube (and replaced the rudder pushrod). Using the original rigging at this stage (will replace with braided fishing line when it fails).

Hi Bullet Master
I know what you mean. I just received the Monsoon today myself and it seems to go together pretty well for the Money.

What weight did you end up putting in as ballast?

Also a question to all being new to Sail Boats.
What is the preferred radio setup trigger or standard radio and what on what channel?

I will also go searching for Forums on SailBoat setup.

Cheers
Jan 06, 2010, 12:42 AM
Travin,

you bought a Monsoon? You obviously haven't read all the reviews and comments about these boats on this forum.

From memory the Monsoon is 900mm LOA. At that size I'd estimate you'd need a bulb weighing about 1.9kg. On my 1m boats I use a 2.3kg bulb. But this is also a function of the keel length for the 'righting moment' to function. Another words -- the shorter the keel fin the heavier the bulb must be to get the same effect. A light ballast bulb and the boat gets knocked flat in a wind gust . Also will have excessive 'heeling'. Heel angle should be max. 30 degrees.

I've posted about the Monsoon before so if you are just starting to build the kit I say read all the posts. Then ask for any specific help.

Larry.
Jun 26, 2015, 12:33 PM

monsoon sailboat

I found 2 monsoon sailboats one is white and the other is black and red which is the better one?
Jun 26, 2015, 06:21 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvines
I found 2 monsoon sailboats one is white and the other is black and red which is the better one?
You are kidding right? They are the same boat with different graphics.
Which ever one you like is the best one!
Jan 12, 2018, 06:24 PM
Beach Bum
So, I have a new Monsoon and am also trying to find out what is the suggested weight of keel. If I fill it with lead shot it would be around 4 lbs, or 1.9 kg. Seems excessive.
Any info would be appreciated.
Jan 12, 2018, 08:36 PM
Boomer1
The recommended 1.9kg is correct. Have any idea of how many of these boats they've sold? Me either, but it's a bunch. There is a massive Monsoon tread on this forum - all that information is covered within the body of the thread. It as been almost 10 years since I had my Monsoon. I put a tab more in the pod. The pod holds only some many of those little pellets. With the resin and pellets that is about all you can get in there.

The boats like to heel over as you can see in the pictures below. Those were taken in pretty stiff conditions, perhaps 15mph+. I loved my Monsoon - it was my 2nd boat. The 1st was a Nirvana. The booms on a Monsoon will drag in the water. I posted a photo of a DF 95 that has the style booms that would improve the Monsoons sailing manners significantly.

Hard to beat a Monsoon for the price. DF 65 sails better costs a wee bit more.

Here's a link or two https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...00%21%21/page3

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rom-Hobby-King
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 12, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
Jan 12, 2018, 11:10 PM
1.6 to 1.8kg is possible using lead shot. Don't believe the HK suggestion of using nuts and bolts and quoting 1.3kg, will not be nearly enough. The smaller the diameter the less air space and therefore heavier. Epoxy and metal dust can be used to get rid of any air space. Over 1.8kg you can split the bulb and layer lead sheet in the cavity.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat2011
1.6 to 1.8kg is possible using lead shot. Don't believe the HK suggestion of using nuts and bolts and quoting 1.3kg, will not be nearly enough. The smaller the diameter the less air space and therefore heavier. Epoxy and metal dust can be used to get rid of any air space. Over 1.8kg you can split the bulb and layer lead sheet in the cavity.
Better to use a mix of sizes for best density. When considering a volume filled with spheres, it mostly doesn't matter what the size is if they are all the same, after the first layer, the solid/air ratio is the same. A mix of large-ish and much smaller allows the small ones to take up air space between the big ones. Then add the epoxy.
While nuts and bolts put weight in there, they don't pack tight thus leaving a lot of air space, and are usually steel, about half the density of lead further reducing the amount of weight that can fit in there. Even a mix of sizes is likely to leave a lot of air space.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:19 AM
That's why I suggested metal dust. Gets rid of any air and thus buoyancy.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:40 AM
Beach Bum
Thank You all guys. I am using very small lead shot, less than 2mm diameter. It is so small and packs so tight that I figured filling completely would be too much. Thanks for clarifying and providing links.
Last edited by SteveMongr; Jan 13, 2018 at 05:47 AM.
Feb 11, 2018, 06:18 PM
Beach Bum
15-20 knots
Monsoon Sailboat (0 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply