Sailboat Monsoon from UH? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 07, 2008, 05:17 AM
Discussion

Sailboat Monsoon from UH?

Hello!
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8309

im RC sailplanes modeler and ...i have interess for RC sailboats too.

1.What you think about RC sailboat Monsoon HB-F-03 from UH?

Is worth to buy this?

2.Any negative/positive experience with this sailboat?

thx
Miran
Last edited by cianokol; Dec 07, 2008 at 08:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2008, 08:23 AM
? ?
Dec 07, 2008, 08:52 AM
Cianokol, do a search on this forum for the monsoon. A group in China sail them socally , they report annoying breakages , mainly minor. As with many kit boats the hull is OK but the rigging/sails needs to be up graded.

james
Last edited by james carey; Dec 07, 2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Dec 07, 2008, 09:46 AM
Useful Idiot
This is the most complete thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=monsoon
Dec 07, 2008, 11:44 AM
but, this is not the same sailboat...
Dec 07, 2008, 12:00 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
looking at the boat closely, they just added some cool paint. same boat. look at the standing rigging its the same boat. just buy a victoria from thunder tiger instead or a micro mini from graupner. the vic will run you a 100 bucks but you still need radio gear but its a much better quality yacht. go read the monsoon thread, i have. not gonna buy one either. look at the pics closely. look at the mast fittings in both pics and compare to the monsoon in the other thread. its just a paint job and some different looking sails. just get a vicky or a mini youll be more than happy.
Dec 08, 2008, 02:45 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
I'm with the Chinese sailing group & can not recommend the boat after having dealt with all the various issues we've faced.

If you like the looks of the "upgraded" Monsoon - aside from the stand, paint, decals & black kite string they call rigging, its exactly the same boat - spend a little more & get ThunderTiger's ETNZ which is what they copied for the graphics. Its well worth the money for a 1M.
Dec 19, 2008, 04:43 AM
Chillaxin dude!
I have the monsoon here (unsailed). What do you guys recommend for replacing the rigging with? Is there a standard?
Dec 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
The rigging is pooh.

Use Dacron rigging line, or braided fishing line.
You can use 60kg, but may get away with 25kg.

I got a monsoon cheap. Much less than $200 bucks

It is cheap. If you take into account the radio it seems good value to some.

But out of the 9 people I know who have one in China, I have the second (possibly third) duff radio that I know of.

The masts use ferrous screws which will rust and stain.

I would look at what else, without radio, you can get for the money. You will probably get a better boat with known parentage. Cos the Monsoon appears to have no father.

NOT NOT NOT worth 200 bucks.
Last edited by tigerbay; Dec 19, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
Dec 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
Chillaxin dude!
no radio in mine ... using a JR 9XII with XPS Rx and 2S Lipo/reg power.

Thanks for the hint on the rigging line.

I will also look at replacing the ferrous hardware with something more suitable.

I do have an issue with the slop in the rudder tube.. but will address that.

I do say though, that mine cost me $230 AUD delivered, and for a GF hull, I do think it is worth the money. Even it it needs a little tweaking here and there. A lot of the issues that had been pointed out seem to have been addressed (ie bushings on the mast stays).

I won't be trying to use this for competition, so as a play-boat it should be fine.

Do you yacht guys use flotation in the hulls at all?
Dec 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
Useful Idiot
I think there were some reports of the hull being a bit weak around the keel in some of the earlier models. If you start getting water inside, it'd be a good place to start looking for the leak. In any case, it might be a good area to beef up a little.
Dec 21, 2008, 06:31 AM
Pretty much all kit boats need a refit from the deck up , my Voyager included . The Monsoon has a nice hull shape, . Martin offered to do a full review and was prepared to document the process of turning the monsoon into a competent sailer , ..... shame it all fell through...

Cheers,

James
Last edited by james carey; Dec 21, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Dec 23, 2008, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by james carey
Pretty much all kit boats need a refit from the deck up , my Voyager included .
Hi James
I agree if you want to race.

But if all you want to do is go out and sail, monsoons real market IMHO, then the monsoon is not the boat.

Lots of other boats for the money that don't need the deft touch of experienced modellers.
My little Victoria is as 'out of the box', and I have had many happy hours playing on the water. I don't race, like many hobby sailors, can't afford it
Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 AM
Chillaxin dude!
ran mine today... kept me interested for about 20 min... then got bored. Just doesn't compare to a 120 KPH fast electric hydroplane.

I will ask... what weight do you all have in the ballast? I added weight to 1.3 kg. Seems like the hull sits a little low and is quite slow.
Dec 23, 2008, 08:32 AM
Useful Idiot
Any saiboat is designed to sail with the design ballast. Adding extra won't improve its performance, especially if it's placed inside the hull. Like your hydro, its also going to need a bit of setting up as well. Mind you, a fast electric hydro is likely to be just as boring after 20 minutes, when your sail boat will undoubtedly be faster

Quick Reply