Dec 06, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Question

Music Wire Size for Pushrods

I know most people say that they are using .032 or .039 music wire for pushrods on small foamies, but would .049 be too big? I am looking into building small planes like the nutball, blu baby and blu beagle. May build others later.

Will the music wire that comes on a roll straighten out nicely?

Also, what size music wire is good for some nice sturdy landing gear?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2008, 10:34 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Never used music wire from a roll.

I use the little flags that gardeners use to mark water lines and what not. You get a pack of 50 from Home Depot for a few dollars. I use these for landing gear too.
Dec 06, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
Any idea what size that wire is?
Dec 06, 2008, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg
I know most people say that they are using .032 or .039 music wire for pushrods on small foamies, but would .049 be too big? I am looking into building small planes like the nutball, blu baby and blu beagle. May build others later.

Also, what size music wire is good for some nice sturdy landing gear?

Thanks
I have never seen piano wire in a roll. I always buy straight pieces. Try it and see if it does straighten.
Dec 06, 2008, 10:56 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
The music wire to use will be straight and stiff about 3 feet long in a clear plastic tube,i get mine at lhs.
Dec 06, 2008, 10:57 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Quote:
Any idea what size that wire is?
Let me see....good to have digital callipers.

1.82mm
.071in
Dec 06, 2008, 11:11 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
I use the flowering wire, located in your walmart craft section, its 98 cents you get like 25 of them in a pack each a foot or so big maybe 1.5ft but yeah, its not the strongest, like if you used the whole thing you should put a guide so it doesnt bend, but yeah stuffs great! and its thin
Dec 07, 2008, 12:06 AM
Thread OP

Anybody want to go in on cost of wire?

I may make a separate post for this question

Is anybody interested in getting piano wire for cheap? I found a few options.

1. There is some .049" piano wire for about $10 for 150ft. I don't need 150ft., but if several people are interested I would buy it and sell 15 foot sections for $1 plus the price of shipping. I figure shipping in a protected envelope would be maybe $1-$2 at the most. I figure that is a lot cheaper than the LHS. Might be very good to use for longer pushrods or heavier pushrod applications.

2. Also found some stainless steel fishing wire. This gauge seems ideal for small pushrods at .035" Most people say they like .032 or .039, and this is right in between. It is sold in 1/4lb. roll for $9 plus $5 shipping. Could get up to 2 rolls for the same $5 shipping. I don't know how many feet are on that roll, but I'm assuming at least 125ft. based on some calculations from other wire sizes. Again, I would offer this wire at $1 for 10-20ft depending on how much wire was actually on the roll plus $1-$2 actual shipping cost.

If there are several interested people for either or both of these then I may go ahead and order it. Post up if you are interested.
Dec 07, 2008, 02:02 AM
I'm a Registered User
For short pushrods, up to around 6", I use straightened paper clips. They are a bit flexable, but it doesn't make much difference with this little length. at 100/$1.00, you can't beat the price
Dec 07, 2008, 02:12 AM
That's me.
I just buy the size that looks right at the hobby shop. 50 cents for a 36" piece is fine. I don't really worry with sizes, as I mostly buy for one foamie at a time and just see whay size will work the best for the application.
Dec 07, 2008, 08:59 AM
i use my old guitar strings.
Dec 07, 2008, 09:02 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
No.
You pretty much have to buy the 3' stuff from the hobby store.

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 07, 2008, 09:04 AM
i use my old guitar strings.
Dec 07, 2008, 09:06 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Is there an echo in here ?

Pat Mackenzie
Dec 07, 2008, 09:22 AM
Why not just spend the $0.89 for a 3' stick of .039 dia music wire at the LHS or Ace Hardware? It won't break the bank, and it does the job correctly. If the wire run is long enough to worry about flex, make wire guides from short lengths of coffe stirrer glued to the fuselage or braces - the kind that looks like a very small straw.

...................Moose.................

Quick Reply