A new Genie Driver at SLNT - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Hostage-46, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 06, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hit my smoke....

A new Genie Driver at SLNT

Must have been a month ago now when flying buddy Mike, who is thankfully a morning person, shot me an email, it was short and to the point. Harley is selling an airplane on RCSE....

Within 1 min I sent a note to Harley, only to find out I was second up, unless the first guy didn't follow through.... Oh well, I guess I'll find time to get mine bagged up and flying, some day....

Then the email came, first guy backed out, and I'm in...pity.. fast forward to today...

So today was a bit rare for December in North Texas. Winds were very light, clear skies in the low 60's. I knew it was going to be a good day to fly so I called the usual suspects Friday night for a Saturday flying session, but alas, nobody responed, oh well, maybe Sunday. So I set about to some honey do's.

Then around noon I get a call and we're on after all for today at 2:00. I don't like scrambling to get an airplane ready. The Genie was essentially ready to go, servos installed, just handn't mounted the radio or switch. So I told myself I would work on her for a hour, and then go to the field. At most I expected her to be ready for a hand toss, at worst I'd assemble her and show the boys my new ship....

So I got the AR9000 into the nose, it wasn't tidy, but functional packed her up in my JT Models Plane Pack and shuffled off to the field. After the usual niceties I mounted the wing taped the tips and turned on the radio. Let me just say, the JR9303 is amazing, very intuitive and so simple to setup.

Flying buddy Tim was tasked with the first toss. CG was measured via rather casually using the mark on the fuse that Harley left. Stab was set on the tape mark placed on the fin at shipping. Wiggle, wiggle, in all the right direction, and he gave her nice hard level throw.

We all just stood there kinda slack jawed, it just kept going and going flat and true. Not a click of trim, completely hands off, she went about..... 1000 feet! I gave it a few more tosses and got to thinking, we have a contest next week, tomorrow is supposed to be gusty, why not just launch this thing?

So I made a few adjustments here and there, and stepped up to the winch. First flight I had Tim toss. My practice is no launch preset on the first flight, just fly what I tossed minutes before. So away we go, and big suprise, no suprises! I tend to pitty pat on launch and got a little slow on top, and kind of loafed off the line.

The air was dead calm, a little boyant, the we all just watched her go, smooth Genie, looks frankly like a Pike Perfect. Nible, responsive, just a pleasure to fly. The TLAR setting of ELV to FLAP mix was spot on, back to the winch. This time I added in some camber and threw myself. I got a bit slow, and she started to arc right, I was inverted at about 200 feet, no panic, just a pop off, I was reminded me not to get slow, yep.

I flew a few more launches, getting more aggresive, lately I've been flying an Ava and a Thermal Dancer so I mind the pedal. On my last launch I got a taste of the zoom, very nice!

I was also cautioned on energy management, especially on a calm day. Sure enough, full flaps, 50 feet of altitude 12 seconds from touch down on short final with no wind, well she's slick, just like he said. On the final landing of the day I flew a proper pattern, I rolled in the groove with about 12 seconds to touch down. Flaps come down and she slowed down very nicely to a slow walk, landed her right at my feet.

Sun setting, big silly grin, time enough for a quick picture... got me a flyer..

SGP #8 is in good hands Harley and will live happily ever after!

I'll twitter with a few things and have her in the contest on next Sunday.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply