May 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude
You can always re-do it for BO IV, that way there's plenty of time to do any re-design or anything else.

Sorry your out of this one , but I'll catch you on the next one,
Dean
Should there be an SBO IV, I'll be there! My only thoughts, though, would be convincing everyone the constructions on the second iteration was entirely new! Don't want to get a head start on the build, you know...

Maybe by then I'd have mastered the 3D CAD and would have a proper set of cut files to send off.

James
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2009, 09:49 AM
Two left thumbs
Bumping this up because I know you hit paydirt finding good cross sections. Tell us about it!

Geoff
Jun 22, 2009, 12:57 AM
Thread OP
Hehe! Yeah, Pa subscribes to Full Size PLans run by SAM Speaks editor, Roland Friestad, and included in the latest issue is the Fletcher FL-23 plans that debuted in the October '54 issue of Air Trails! They're much better than trying to use enlarged scans of the little plans printed in the mag!

While the scale of the Ahremark specimen is smaller than the 1/10 of my iteration, I can double check my fuse formers/cross sections against his. From the stuff I've collected, it looks like Ahremark was very close to "on" with his cross sections, while I used a calibrated (ha!) eyeball to draw up mine.

FWIW, the size of the AT version would make a nice e-power RC in it's own right, at a 30+ inch span. It was originally powered by an OK Cub.

Now, contrary to the evil rumors spread by Geoff previously ( ), I have indeed cut wood and committed assembly on the Fletcher fuselage... though it is currently at Version III! The first two suffered "measure once, cut... Darn!!" and incorrect scaling, respectively!

At this point, however, I'll simply complete the poor thing at this stage of development, making notes and corrections for the next, "more accurate" version.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the "progress." Too late tonight, and I'm heading for the rack.

James
Jun 22, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
OKey doke, here's the pics of "Fletcher Fuselage, Generation III." Well, actually, only the foreward section is "Gen III," the aft section kinda depended on the fore section (don't say that too fast! ), so it is the first of its ilk.

The plan is to have to two halves slide together as shown in the third pic, being glued into one, single, homogenous whole. The aft section will be sheeted completely, but I will only do the top half until I get the control runs put in. The stabilator will utilize a cable-in-tube that will enter the aft half through the little hole in the first former, curving up through the fin. The rudder will be simple pushrod to a concealed horn at bottom of the rudder post.

I've been cogitating the LG and whether to make it springy, or do the simple thing and just put together a faired-over wire set-up. Yeah, I know, the wire is easy and good enough for a prototype, but apart of me screams for punishment!

The four vertical pieces will eventually be cut to length and will be the sole structural attachment of wing to fuse. They are currently 1/4" sq. spruce, but I think balsa may be enough in the final result. There will be sheeting on the inside to match what is shown in the fourth attached pic, and a bit of extra wood to give it that beveled appearance, as well.

The plans seen as backdrop for the fuselage pieces are the Fletcher FL-23 plans as published by the previously-mentioned Full Size Plans concern. The originals, by Carl G. Ahremark, were introduced to the modeling public in the October '54 Air Trails magazine, as mentioned in the first post. Ahremark's Fletcher is smaller than my design: His is 7/8" to the foot, and mine is 1/10 scale. I'm not going to do the math... I will use Ahremark's cross sections as a check to mine, as his appear to be reasonably accurate according to the documentation on hand. I may also shamelessly steal and enlarge his cowling set-up to save time drawing up my own! I may use glass on foam as the material, however.

Enough words, already!! Back to building, slow-poke!

James
Jun 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
Two left thumbs
Finally, we see wood! Did you notice the plans we got (yeah, I subscribe to Full Size Plans too) is the later version with some fin above the stabilator?

Geoff
Jun 22, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
Finally, we see wood! Did you notice the plans we got (yeah, I subscribe to Full Size Plans too) is the later version with some fin above the stabilator?

Geoff
Yeah, it looks like Ahremark modeled the Fletcher just shy of the final iteration, as his also has the dorsal fin, but without the hideous "fin monster" on the tip. That last pic of the shiny bright FL-23 I believe to be the initial version, as it has no dorsal, minimal fin tip, no fairings on the LG, and small cooling exits on the aft of the cowl. It's also way too new-looking to have been through any trials!

The first pic, back in post #26, looks like some of the "new plane smell" has been deleted, and the various "refinements" applied.

The fin/stabilator will be a challenge, but, as nickchud says, "I have a cunning plan!" The stab spar will likely be a 1/4" aluminum tube, and it will pivot on two RC car ball bearings. The bearings will each be secured in the top ends of ply plates that are attached to the sides of the fin spar, just under the fin sheeting. I'll probably have to post a drawing, 'cause that description may be clear as mud! However, that idea has triggered a change at the aft end of the tailcone that will find its way into the final iteration. The current tailcone gets a kludge this time!

James
Jun 23, 2009, 12:00 AM
Cool, the beast is unleashed , looking very nice so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
The plans seen as backdrop for the fuselage pieces are the Fletcher FL-23 plans as published by the previously-mentioned Full Size Plans concern.
Plans; I didn't use any plans on my build, built it all from memory, well, memory and the computer screen.

More, more, more

Dean

Quick Reply