Jan 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdj
Any more progress? I like obscure planes and would love to see this one,

DJM
Yes, there is progress, mostly been CADding about. I have been cutting... then measuring twice and cutting again! The first iteration of parts were too small in places. Grrrr. At least I hadn't cut too many parts yet!

I'll get some pics up later today (Since the first of this year, I'm now one of those miserables that work Sat & Sun. ), or no later than tomorrow as time permits.

James
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2009, 10:56 AM
Two left thumbs
Hey, James, don't fuss too much - you have a job! About half the work force where I work got laid off. Hard to buy balsa when you ain't got no money!

Looking forward to seeing some Fletcher parts.

Geoff
Jan 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Quote "The Fletcher FL-23 was designed to the late '40's Army spec for light liaison duty. It was the only aircraft entered designed specifically for the competition, the other entries being mods to commercial designs. During one of the test flights, the horizontal stab parted company, the FL-23 crashing. It was not able to be rebuilt in time to finish the competition, so the Army ended up with what became the L-19 Bird Dog. Not that that was a bad thing, of course! It simply makes documentation of the FL-23 difficult at best to find..."

Wasn't the Boeing XL-15 designed to the specification? All the write ups on it state that it lost out to the L-19.
What little I've read of the Boeing states it was built and flying a couple-three years prior to the competition in question. Now, why Boeing didn't enter it then (assuming it was not entered) is beyond me. Seems to me it would've done rather well.

I'm not sure off the top of my head when the Army specification was actually published, but it seems to have been in '48-'49. Boeing had the XL-15/YL-15 already flying by then (somewhere in '47, I think). Boeing's own site simply implies no contracts came of it, saying nothing of any Army competition.

One advantage the XL/YL-15 has over the FL-23 is documentation! I've read a modeler can ask Boeing for drawings and get them! The current type certificate holder of any Fletcher designs I know of is Pacific Aerospace Corp. in your own NZ, making the FU-24, I believe, similar to the FD-25 Defender. I've emailed PAC, and they have nothing on the FL-23, I was told.

It is sad such a cool-looking plane as the FL-23 is so neglected...

James
Jan 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
Hey, James, don't fuss too much - you have a job! About half the work force where I work got laid off. Hard to buy balsa when you ain't got no money!

Looking forward to seeing some Fletcher parts.

Geoff
Hehe! Yeah, I am thankful for the paycheck! Still, l keep my eye open for the job where my budget is large and my sole object is to build models!

...better polish up that resumé!

James

P.S. Technically, I've been on the clock for half an hour, but have yet to get a call. Waiting at home until that happens. Why get out in this weather when I don't have to?! Ha!
Jan 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
Thread OP

Pics!

Okay, as promised, a couple pics. These are the major bits making up the forward half of the fuse. The upright frames are spruce, the two to which the wing will attach are 1/4" sq, the smaller 1/8". (The spruce is some leftover material from the restoration of this Hawker Hurricane MkII-B!)

The floor of the cabin, with appropriate reinforcement where necessary, will support most of the flight control electronics, and likely the battery below the panel. Aileron and flap servos will reside up top with the wing, however...

The rib template is also shown, and blanks will be cut, then appropriately trimmed, notched, etc to suit.

There is still a bit of CADding to sort through, as well as some brainstorming on the L/G. At this point, I'm planning on running some aluminum tube through the fuse, and "plug in" the visible stuff. Repairable/replaceable!

I've also a nice example of thin wall aluminum tube which will become the stab spar. At the top of the fin, this tube will turn inside a couple RC buggy bearings, firmly mounted to the top of the spar, of course!

The details are coming together. A bit slower than anticipated, but this is a welcome challenge for me! I think I just need to put more of the details into physical form rather than thinking them to death!

James
Jan 20, 2009, 12:46 AM
Two left thumbs
Good show! I see you like using REAL glue too!

Geoff
Jan 20, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
Good show! I see you like using REAL glue too!

Geoff
And the Ambroid is about ten inches to the left of the first former!

James
Mar 08, 2009, 09:16 PM
Airplane crasher
Any progress on this thing or did it crash like the origional.
Apr 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
Been offly quiet here, whats up?

Dean
Apr 19, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude
Been offly quiet here, whats up?

Dean
Hehe! Yeah, I s'pose it has! That's what happens when so-called "life" interferes with the more sublime pursuits!

There is progress, though nowhere near what I'd like. I simply never got around to taking pics along the way, either, so I haven't even proof of that progress I claim! I've about resigned myself to not making the deadline, but it will be completed and flown, the results of which will be displayed to the RCG-ers.

Sorry for the disappointment!

James
Apr 19, 2009, 10:06 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
I'm in the same boat. The deadline bit is iffy, but I want to finish. Maybe if I start cutting now for Build-Off IV....
Apr 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
Come on guys, I was looking forward to both your planes, I would hate to resort to flooding your build threads with constant requests for updates , but seriously, there's still plenty of time, and think about all the good ribbing you'll miss out on .

Dean
Apr 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
Two left thumbs
I just gave up on making it by deadline too, BUT, it will get done! Ain't gonna try another one of these here buildoffs unless I can learn a CAD program and get the whole design sorted out ahead of time!

Geoff
Apr 19, 2009, 10:48 PM
Man, maybe I shouldn't have posted here, I add one comment to get the thread going, and 3 guys start to fall . Their going to start calling me the Reaper, bringer of unfinished builds .

Dean
Apr 19, 2009, 10:55 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Quote:
and think about all the good ribbing you'll miss out on .
Ribs! Something else I have to finish.

Quick Reply