Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 06, 2009, 03:53 PM
Here is another place to get rare earth magnets.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.1105
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2009, 05:58 PM
Closed Account
Some guys rat the magnets out of old cd rom drives, etc, get the magnets out of the motors.

Even if you have some old small outrunners kicking around, you can soak the motor in thinners to get the magnets off.
Or you could just buy some small cheap Hobby city motors, and the magnets will fall off on their own, that makes it nice and easy, lol.

cheers
Jan 06, 2009, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj988
Here is another place to get rare earth magnets.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.1105
Cool site. I've spent an hour looking at all their stuff!
Jan 10, 2009, 03:06 AM
Thread OP
New stuff I bought yesterday:

Video recorder: AIPTEK MPVR

Probably not the greatest quality, but hopefully good enough for the price.

RX: AR500 Full range sport rx

I was planning on getting an AR6200, but this is lighter and claims full range. The reviews I've read around here seem favorible. As long as it meets my range goals of ~1 mile I'm happy.
Jan 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
Since I'm still waiting for some parts, I'll share some more GPS / 900MHz testing data. My video tx and GPS modules are about 12 inches apart. Indoors I can usually get 8-9 sats and outdoors (on a patio chair in the middle of my yard) I get 8-10 sats. This is WITHOUT using the antenna notch filter, NO ferrite rings or any other extra filters. The video tx is powered by an anyvolt micro which is next to the video tx.
Jan 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Here's where I soldered the power wires to the elogger V3 for the video cam and tx. This way the power the video system uses is included in total system power in the elogger. Also, this way the battery, FPV system and RC system share the same grounding point.
Last edited by Hauntme13; Jan 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added info
Jan 10, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Peeled off the channel sticker on the TX (the ink was gone anyway) and found a little hole underneath with an adjustment pot. Does anyone know what it does? Audio gain maybe?
Jan 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
I think it's video gain/level, but I'm not positive...
Jan 11, 2009, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
So I got everything hooked up at the same time for a test.

No servo twitch. No bootup delay of the RX. Have NOT done a proper range test yet though. Will do that tomorrow. (Even though it's an AR6100 because my AR500 is not here yet)

There is some video static when the motor is running though. I think it's common mode. Should be relatively easy to filter out where the power wires for the camera attach to the elogger. I can use a separate power source to confirm.
Jan 11, 2009, 03:32 AM
Thread OP
Here's a short video of what the interference from the ESC looks like.

testcap5comp (0 min 32 sec)
Jan 11, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
After doing some testing, it looks like a low-pass LC filter should do the trick. Need to run to radio shack to get a suitable choke.
Jan 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
I fixed the video interference problem! Yay! Found some cool toroids at Radio Shack too. I got the package of 10 small ones. They had some bigger ones too that might work for servo wire.

I cut off the wire on the toroid and rewound it with some thinner wire with more turns. I used 220uF caps. Video shows no more interference when motor is running. (GPS is screwy because it's laying on its side.)

testcap6comp (0 min 17 sec)
Jan 11, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Since the first filter worked so well, thought I'd try another one with some smaller caps to save weight. This version uses more turns of thinner wire and 22uF caps. Works just as good. Cut the weight in half, from 5g to about 2.5g.
Jan 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for showing your filter, I think I will try one of these as soon as I can get to radio shack.
Jan 12, 2009, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Here's the schematic I forgot to include.

Quick Reply