Jun 13, 2012, 07:19 AM
I'm thinking the next one should be made of 6mm sheet metal. LOL
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm not understanding how the servos are held in place. Are they hot glued in permanently?
Jun 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Foam abuser!
Yes, I always use hot glue for the servos.

Pat
Jun 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
The plane is now pretty much done except for sanding, painting and installing the motor and electronics. It's been a while since I've setup r/c electrics. I'm trying to figure out the schematic of how the components are connected and what connectors I'll need to solder where. Does anyone have a photo or a quick guide on how to do that? I'm using my old Attack 4-channel radio so I'll be adding a mixer as well.
Jun 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
Jer. 29:11
Here's a draft of the steps for the motor, ESC, battery, receiver hookup. ( Revisions welcome. )

1. Connect the ESC connection to the motor -- connect any wire to any wire -- later, when it's all powered up, if the motor goes the wrong way, switch any two wires.

2. Set up the ESC connection to the battery -- red to red, black to black -- don't plug it in yet.

3. Connect the ESC to the receiver.

4. Get ready to bind the receiver to your transmitter. ( On my Spektrum, one inserts a bind plug in the receiver. )

5. Plug the ESC into the battery.

6. Move the throttle channel on your transmitter to 'off'. ( Important. )

7. Turn on the transmitter ( in bind mode ).

8. Verify that the motor is turning the direction you want. If it isn't, unplug the battery, switch any two wires, verify that the throttle on the transmitter is off ( again ), and plug in the battery.
Jul 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
Alright. So I got the plane finished. I got everything installed and adjusted. At first I wasn't getting power to the motor. All I heard was beeping sounds then I found out that there is a particular process to go through to setup a new ESC with a Futaba radio in order to set the throttle range. I did that and the motor then powered up. I went out last night for a test flight. I gave it a toss and the plane dipped toward the ground and skidded across the grass. I tried a few more times and each time the plane didn't want to lift even with full throttle applied. I'm thinking I'm not getting full power from the motor. What could I have done wrong? To recap, I went with a 75% scale plane; 21" wingspan, 30" long with a Nico Hobbies power package (which has a 2500kv motor w/10a esc and 3S 850ma battery). Total weight of plane ready to fly is 231 grams.
Jul 05, 2012, 10:57 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Is your prop on backwards?
Jul 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
I motor was reversed, so I swapped wires to make it spin the proper direction. However, are you saying that the prop itself has a particular direction to it? It came with a prop saver so I installed it according to the way the prop saver was installed (based on a Youtube video I found).
Jul 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
FYI...the lettering on the prop is facing the front of the plane. That is correct, is it not?
Jul 05, 2012, 11:50 AM
More more bit of information. I'm using a Futaba Attack 4 (gold label) radio. The motor doesn't engage until I'm almost halfway thru the throw (the stick is about halfway up, mid-way thru the travel). Does that sound right or should the motor engage much sooner than that?
Jul 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Correct, the lettering on the prop faces forward.

The motor should engage much sooner. To calibrate the esc, turn your TX on and move the throttle all the way to full throttle. Now plug in your esc, you most likely will hear some beeps but I'm not sure as different escs make different sounds. Now move your throttle on the TX all the way to idle. Again you may here some beeps. Now unplug the esc. Your esc now should be programmed to the full range of the TX. You may want to use the trims as well for you calibration.
Jul 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
That's what I was suspecting as some sort of calibration issue. I'll reset it. Thanks!
Jul 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
No luck. I've re-calibrated the ESC and I'm getting the same throttle range as before. Has anyone else tried using an older non digital radio with the newer ESCs like this? Unless someone has an idea of what to do perhaps I should just grab a new radio. If I got a new radio, what kind should I buy? I'd like something that I could use for multiple planes.
Jul 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
Foam abuser!
Sorry I haven't been able to answer your emails and posts. I'm in DC on vacation. Sitting at the airport right now getting ready to head back. Here's how to program your ESC:

TX on, throttle to full.

Plug in ESC.

You will hear two long beeps, followed by two short beeps. After the two short beeps fully close the throttle.

You will hear one long beep, then 3 short beeps like you had just plugged it in and it detected 3 cells.

Your ESC is now programmed to your radio and should work correctly. Try that and let us know.

Pat
Jul 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
I had an older Futaba radio that I had used for years and a friend still uses it now with no issues.
So you are saying that after recalibrating you are still not getting throttle until half way on the sticks? Did you try it with the trim as well as the stick together?

As far as new radios I'm partial to Futaba. I don't like brownouts.

Quick Reply