May 14, 2009, 10:44 PM

Thunderbirds F-16

Here's my NAC F-16 I just finished building. I added a separate servo for the elevator, and locked the 2 elevator halves together with a small length of carbon fiber tube. This way I can also use the flaperon function of my transmitter for slow flying.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2009, 11:20 PM
nac
nac
Thread OP
WOW. That looks fantastic, good job.

How did you do the finishing off (paint, covering, stickers)?
May 14, 2009, 11:36 PM
Foam abuser!
Very excellent Thunderbirds job Dave! That came out really well.

FWIW, I can pretty much stand mine on its tail and hover, or just fly around really slow at high alpha. No flaperons needed.

And I finally got off my duff and painted mine. Looks exactly the same as the one in post #2, except I used the cockpit decal instead of painting it light blue. Looks much better. I'll get some pics and video tomorrow.

Pat
May 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
I seal the foam with a brush coat of that polyurathane water based floor wax, and finished with flat white Testers spray paint. The red and blue is Monokote trim sheet, and the decals I printed on ink jet water slide paper. To help keep them sealed I give them a light coat of clear flat.

Thanks for the great design NAC! I'll try to post some video as well later.
May 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
Foam abuser!
Got good video and still pics today. Will post some up later.

Pat
May 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
Foam abuser!
Here's some pics I took on the ground this morning. Someone else has still shots in the air and those will be posted later, along with video.

The pics with the green grass are from today, and the brown grass pics are of the first plane off the laser cutter from January. By comparing the two, you can see the mod I did to lengthen the nose and make it more pointed as described earlier in this thread. This gives the plane a more scale appearance.

I also used the cockpit decal on this one and it looks way better than the light blue paint I did on the first one.

Pat
May 15, 2009, 10:40 PM
Foam abuser!
Here's some more pics from this morning. All of the high alpha pics are just that, slow flight at high alpha. I even did a little hovering too.

Thanks Tina for taking them!

Pat
Jun 01, 2009, 09:40 PM
If it flies, its cool
Hey Fellas! Just Found This Thread And Your Planes All Look Great.
What Motor Works The Best?
Has It Be Down Sized To Around 17"-20" Using 6mm?
Jun 01, 2009, 09:59 PM
If it flies, its cool
Also Could Some One Please Tell Me How To Resize These Canopys For Decals?https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=885714&page=4
Jun 02, 2009, 10:59 AM
If it flies, its cool
what % are the planes for the tiled plan suposed to be at? 100%?
Jun 02, 2009, 02:17 PM
Foam abuser!
bondo,

For the full size plane, the 2212-06 with a 30A ESC and APC 6X4E prop works best. See the last post of this thread for places to buy this motor.

I have not seen any downsized plans for 17-20" yet, but at that size I'd use 3mm depron for everything except the center fuse section, which should be kept at 6mm.

For canopy decals, simply take a good side view pic and edit it in Paint (it should be on your computer in Accessories). Simply cut out the canopy area, then size it to your plane.

When printing the PDF tiled plan, make sure you set the scaling to "None". This will print the plan at 100%.

Pat
Jun 03, 2009, 03:30 AM
Thank pat for PM
Last edited by aqkhana2002; Jun 03, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Jun 17, 2009, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowdave
Here's my NAC F-16 I just finished building. I added a separate servo for the elevator, and locked the 2 elevator halves together with a small length of carbon fiber tube. This way I can also use the flaperon function of my transmitter for slow flying.

IS THIS PAINT OR Sticker?
Jun 17, 2009, 01:14 AM
Foam abuser!
Aqeel,

This is what he said when nac asked him about the finish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowdave
I seal the foam with a brush coat of that polyurathane water based floor wax, and finished with flat white Testers spray paint. The red and blue is Monokote trim sheet, and the decals I printed on ink jet water slide paper. To help keep them sealed I give them a light coat of clear flat.

Thanks for the great design NAC! I'll try to post some video as well later.
Pat
Jul 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
Here is my F-16 being done in Israel colors so it can bomb the Iranian nuclear reactors. This PiC was a few weeks ago. I have the top fuse completely painted but with my FPV flying,,,, i have been slow to finish it. After i get back from vacation i will go for it and finish this A/C. My 11 Y.O will get checked out to fly this while i fly the F-14. Keep you all posted on the progress.

Quick Reply