Dec 09, 2008, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Hey alright!

My preferred hinge is the Welders' glue method. Easy, light, tough and paintable.

After beveling the foam butt the two pieces together. Run a very small bead of Welder's glue along the hinge line. Smooth the bead down with your finger or a Popsicle stick.

The first time I tried this I put too much on and the hinge was stiff. You need very very little glue to do the job.

Best of luck with your Yak!
I've seen the hot glue hinge, not going all the way through the epp hinge, and tape. I'm unsure which to do, I'll do some search for Welders' glue hinge
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2008, 02:58 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford
I've seen the hot glue hinge, not going all the way through the epp hinge, and tape. I'm unsure which to do, I'll do some search for Welders' glue hinge
The Welders is similar to the hot glue hinge minus the heat. Very simple. Try it on a bit of scrap foam to see if you like it.

Speaking of hinges; does anyone know of the best brand and source of heat shrink for control horn hinges?
Dec 09, 2008, 03:16 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
brad65ford,

I just learned how to do the Welders hinge and it is very simple and very strong. I butt the two pieces together and then pin both pieces down to keep them in place. Next I run a small bead of Welders glue along the length of the hinge. I then use the side of a popsicle stick and scrape off the bead of glue. It seems like there is no glue on the hinge and it seems like it is so light that it wouldn't hold. But trust me it is super strong and super flexiable. If you put it on to thick or try and put a second coat on it will be overkill and your servos will have to work much harder. Trust me I was very skeptical when leadfeather shared this method with me. Now for me Welder's glue is the only way to go. Good Luck!

MWeaver
Dec 09, 2008, 03:23 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Quote:
The Welders is similar to the hot glue hinge minus the heat. Very simple. Try it on a bit of scrap foam to see if you like it.

Speaking of hinges; does anyone know of the best brand and source of heat shrink for control horn hinges?
leadfeather I am not sure about the best brand but if you can tell me what size you are looking for I might beable to help you out.

MWeaver
Dec 09, 2008, 06:41 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Gold, I have one that is rewound for the same reason, the wires at the front rubbed against the bell and shaved the insulation off. I rewound it similar to that described in the timocharis blog it spins, but stutters at start up, haven't put it on a plane yet, will try it with a Turnigy esc though.
Hummm, 11 turns, a bit high on the KV, try a smaller prop. The factory wind is 34 turns terminated delta, which in star or 'Y' is 20/21 turns.

Mine are 20T of 27g and 21T of 28g and both run smooth as silk.

20T...7x4......4.6A, 7.1V, 33W
""""""""8X3.8...5.3A, 6.8V, 36W
21T...7X4......4.0A, 7.3V, 30W
""""""""8X3.8...4.8V, 7.2V, 33W

Both have plenty of power for prop hanging, with loads fo pullout power on 6 and 7 ounce slugs.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 09, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 06:52 PM
flyin' fool
Lighter Thoughts.........don't forget the paint, as in less.

Frank, also a Weaver.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:24 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Hummm, 11 turns, a bit high on the KV, try a smaller prop. The factory wind is 34 turns terminated delta, which in star or 'Y' is 20/21 turns.

Mine are 20T of 27g and 21T of 28g and both run smooth as silk.

20T...7x4......4.6A, 7.1V, 33W
""""""""8X3.8...5.3A, 6.8V, 36W
21T...7X4......4.0A, 7.3V, 30W
""""""""8X3.8...4.8V, 7.2V, 33W

Both have plenty of power for prop hanging, with loads fo pullout power on 6 and 7 ounce slugs.
Gold, thanks, good information. I just went through this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844745 and saw your work there, very helpful.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the kV, I just went ahead and wound it. I might try this higher kV wind on the FireFly but there's gonna probably be more noise.

Which of the two winds above is your favorite/most recommended? What esc do you use with this motor?
Last edited by leadfeather; Dec 09, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:28 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Lighter Thoughts.........don't forget the paint, as in less.

Frank, also a Weaver.

Hmmm might try some light blue and light green.

Seriously , paint can add significant weight...especially if you are counting each gram. I think the airbrushed paint adds less than the rattle can paint jobs for the same coverage...just guessing though.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:37 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeaver
leadfeather I am not sure about the best brand but if you can tell me what size you are looking for I might beable to help you out.

MWeaver
Mark,

Here is something else I was looking at as a possible substitute for heat shrink.... .030" ID soft silicone tubing. Available from McMaster Carr , Part Number: 51845K51

I have read somewhere that all heat shrinks are not created equal. Some are weak and relatively brittle, others are tougher and more flexible. I would like to find more info on this.
Dec 09, 2008, 08:44 PM
TallguysRC

lets try this again

here is my idea of a slight adjustment to the gear and the tail.
Dec 09, 2008, 08:48 PM
Leadfeather, Ok don't be mad J/K but I couldn't find the Welders Glue at the LHS so I'm going to try the under over tape thingy. Also the only glue I have is CA for foam and gorilla glue. I've compaired them but and I don't like either IMO.

Anyway my order should comes in tommorrow from Hobbycity I went with you basic beginning setup; servos/motor/esc/batterys/horns etc. Except, I'm just unsure about the connecting rods. I like what you did with the small carbon fiber rod and then rap them with string and ca / expoxy. Whats there the weights of them? Mines most likely with be a pig since I'm gonna use metal rods and I purchase 8/9 1.9 density epp instead of 1.3 which it does feel heavier than the other #1.3 pieces I got.

I hope this thing works out, I've never done a foamy before, tons of balsa kit tho. I will definitely be testing what everyone says about epp being tuff or not. God knows I aint perfect and I'm gonna crash her. LOL.
Dec 09, 2008, 08:58 PM
is it flying time?
Brad,

Try WalMart for Welders glue, it is in the hardware section.

Jerry
Dec 09, 2008, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Brad,

Try WalMart for Welders glue, it is in the hardware section.

Jerry

Thanks bro!
Dec 09, 2008, 09:13 PM
This is a sweet plane, it is on my list.
Dec 09, 2008, 09:14 PM
TallguysRC
If anyone needs help with how to build this plane checkout my build thread at

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=10529

I have some real clear close up pictures that can be used as building photos
Last edited by tallflyer; Apr 30, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply