Thread Tools
Aug 09, 2019, 06:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebukadzir
Where can i find the Yak piloot?

Thx Bernard
A few more...
Last edited by dfemmert; Aug 09, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2019, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebukadzir
Where can i find the Yak piloot?

Thx Bernard
Left this out...

I'll try again, it won't show...
Aug 10, 2019, 09:16 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
I built a custom one for a local club member and resized a profile of him and glued it on. Took him a while to realize what I had done. He loved it. If you glue it on, put some clear over it to fix it
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL
Aug 11, 2019, 05:44 PM
Registered User
Nebukadzir's Avatar
Thanks all of you for the piloot pdf files.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:00 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
TooJung2Die's Avatar
A little back story first. I have never thought about 3D. I lack the hand-eye coordination and reflexes. I'm mostly a glider and slow-flier pilot. A couple weekends ago a flying buddy tells me he wants me to try flying his new store-bought retail foamy 3D. I think he's nuts because I'll wreck it in 10 seconds. I flew it anyway. Now I have the bug. But I don't buy airplanes. Here's what I've made so far.

Name: IMG_1522.JPG
Views: 40
Size: 233.6 KB
Description:

The one on the left is double layer DTFB with the paper removed, 10mm. The one on the right is 6mm MPF. The DTFB Yak is good for breezy days. The MPF Yak is much lighter and best on calm days or indoors.

I know these airplanes are going to make me a better pilot. An instructor at the RC field coached me through flying inverted for the first time. It flew hands off, no elevator input needed. He never would've talked me into inverted flight with a balsa airplane that took months to build!

Now I'm thinking about getting some EPP and making a proper 3D foamy.

Jon
Oct 21, 2019, 01:17 AM
Registered User
PaulB's Avatar
Welcome o the Dark Side Jon.....

Fun when the models cost next to nothing and fly as well as this one does isn't it????

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 21, 2019, 12:14 PM
Custom User Name Title
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
A little back story first. I have never thought about 3D. I lack the hand-eye coordination and reflexes. I'm mostly a glider and slow-flier pilot. A couple weekends ago a flying buddy tells me he wants me to try flying his new store-bought retail foamy 3D. I think he's nuts because I'll wreck it in 10 seconds. I flew it anyway. Now I have the bug. But I don't buy airplanes. Here's what I've made so far.

Attachment 12695711

The one on the left is double layer DTFB with the paper removed, 10mm. The one on the right is 6mm MPF. The DTFB Yak is good for breezy days. The MPF Yak is much lighter and best on calm days or indoors.

I know these airplanes are going to make me a better pilot. An instructor at the RC field coached me through flying inverted for the first time. It flew hands off, no elevator input needed. He never would've talked me into inverted flight with a balsa airplane that took months to build!

Now I'm thinking about getting some EPP and making a proper 3D foamy.

Jon
Congrats!

Nobody ever said you have to 3D a 3D plane! They always fly GREAT in any attitude and they're fun to fly!
Oct 21, 2019, 01:52 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
TooJung2Die's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Welcome o the Dark Side Jon.....

Fun when the models cost next to nothing and fly as well as this one does isn't it????

Paul
Dark side? I think I saw the light. If it wasn't for foam board airplanes I wouldn't have gotten back into the hobby or stayed interested this long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Nobody ever said you have to 3D a 3D plane! They always fly GREAT in any attitude and they're fun to fly!
That's what I loved about my friend's 3D. It was so easy to fly. The Yak looked like the best choice for building my own. Over 10 years since it was introduced, over 840 pages of information and experience, almost 1.5 million views, it had to be a winner.
Dec 01, 2019, 03:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
We have released a 40" version of the Leadfeather Yak55 which was announced on my RCGroups blog here. Not simply a blow up of the plans but a redesign using a KF4 airfoil. Check it out. There is a flight video also
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL
Dec 02, 2019, 04:54 AM
Registered User
I am thinking about getting my yak flying again. Great backyard flyer.

32" Yak-55 (3 min 15 sec)
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Dec 02, 2019, 05:53 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
TooJung2Die's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110
I am thinking about getting my yak flying again. Great backyard flyer.
Sure is. Didn't you make it out of CF reinforced single layer Adams Readi Board with no paper? You wouldn't happen to remember the specs on the motor?
Dec 02, 2019, 06:10 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Sure is. Didn't you make it out of CF reinforced single layer Adams Readi Board with no paper? You wouldn't happen to remember the specs on the motor?
That's right. The motor looks like a 2204 1400kV with an 8038 prop.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Dec 04, 2019, 08:16 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
TooJung2Die's Avatar
I think I have everything for the next Yak build. I've been flying the two Yaks in Post 12680. Both fly well but are too fast for me to feel comfortable flying them indoors. I've been looking at dozens of other 3D profile foamy plans and have come back to the Yak.

I need your advice. The goal is a Yak around 6 ounces AUW with a 350 to 450 mAh 2S. What wingspan would be suitable for a Gartt F 2204 1500KV motor? I have 6mm 1.3 EPP. I have an assortment of CF rod from .5mm to 3mm for stiffening.
Jon
Dec 04, 2019, 03:17 PM
Registered User
r/cdawg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
I think I have everything for the next Yak build. I've been flying the two Yaks in Post 12680. Both fly well but are too fast for me to feel comfortable flying them indoors. I've been looking at dozens of other 3D profile foamy plans and have come back to the Yak.

I need your advice. The goal is a Yak around 6 ounces AUW with a 350 to 450 mAh 2S. What wingspan would be suitable for a Gartt F 2204 1500KV motor? I have 6mm 1.3 EPP. I have an assortment of CF rod from .5mm to 3mm for stiffening.
Jon
Using 6mm EPP a 32" span would be perfect for indoor flying. I am assuming the motor will weigh around 20 grams and if that is the case 6 ounces should not be an issue. The plane shown below has a 32" span and is made from 7.5mm EPP weighs 180 grams (6.3 oz.) and is powered by a SunnySky 2204-1800kv motor and a 2s/300 pack. Maiden is tonight at our club Christmas party.
Dec 04, 2019, 04:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Both fly well but are too fast for me to feel comfortable flying them indoors.
Jon
For about $120 plus shipping you can get this kit including motor :
https://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/rc-shop...per-trino-2018




Adam Hrbacek - Supertrino MkII, first competition flight in F3P AA, 1st place (4 min 5 sec)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools