Dec 28, 2015, 11:12 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I'm going to be offering a 22" mini version next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbygHh4UPs
This should be good. I made a 20" scaled down version of LF's Edge and it flew really well with some of E-Flite's UMX electronics. I still have that airframe; I took most of the electronics off of it for another project. I really should resurrect that, it was a fun plane for some nighttime enjoyment under the streetlights.

For those of you that have a nice indoor place to fly this will be really good too.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2015, 01:23 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon crist
what motor prop ya running and batt
At that weight (32.5 " Yak) I believe I had a 1500 kV Blue Wonder motor with a 8043 prop and a 460 mAh 2s battery.
Last edited by leadfeather; Dec 28, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Dec 28, 2015, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
At that weight I believe I had a 1500 kV Blue Wonder motor with a 8043 prop and a 460 mAh 2s battery.
That's the setup I used with great success on the full-sized LF Yak. It seems to me that a lighter setup would be appropriate for a mini.
Dec 28, 2015, 02:03 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman
That's the setup I used with great success on the full-sized LF Yak. It seems to me that a lighter setup would be appropriate for a mini.
You are correct; that set up is for a full size Yak. A mini Yak would require much lighter gear.
Dec 29, 2015, 03:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman
yeah, I've got a C1822 2100kv 14g motor on the mini with a 5g and two 3.7g servos and using a 180mah 2S battery. The video is what I had at the time for the first prototype, a 2204 19g and 350mah 2S. it went from 97g originally down to 82g now and the next version should be about an even 80g
Jan 13, 2016, 06:56 AM
Kit Manufacturer

The Mini Yak55 is shipping

This version shrinks the popular Yak55 to a 67% size that allows it to be used in a smaller indoor venue while retaining all the great Leadfeather Yak55 qualities. With the power system we sell the weight comes in under 90g and using 180mah 2S batteries you get a great flying plane for small gymnasiums for the winter that is fully capable of flying outdoors in the better weather. We have also shrunken our standard paint scheme and they are available in the same rainbow of colors popular with our standard 32" Yak55s. You can order it here.

The 6mm EPP Mini Yak55 YouTube video playlist.
Jan 23, 2016, 06:34 PM
Kit Manufacturer
And here it is flying in a smaller venue

Mini Yak55 at RC Madness 1/23/2016 (2 min 44 sec)
Jan 24, 2016, 04:41 AM
Great job Jim, I got my mini Yak and am waiting on the paint to dry. Did you weight the painted version? I am also debating putting packing tape on the nose and leading edges. I am not sure if the setup will have room for the extra weight.
Gave a good day!
Jan 24, 2016, 06:31 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablair
Great job Jim, I got my mini Yak and am waiting on the paint to dry. Did you weight the painted version? I am also debating putting packing tape on the nose and leading edges. I am not sure if the setup will have room for the extra weight.
Gave a good day!
My unpainted prototype was 82g and this green one was 85g so the paint is pretty minimal. Fly it without the tape first. It's really pretty durable and lighter flies better
Jan 27, 2016, 03:57 PM

YAK 55 mini

Jim, I am at 104.9 grams without a battery. I am sure the blendum tape and extra glue are responsible for the weight. I didn't use any lamininating tape only the blendum. I have a 2s 500mah that I will try for a maiden and the others are on order.
Thoughts on construction; the wooden horn in the kit for the ailerons is slightly fragile. I busted mine anyway and replaced it with the short horn that came with the servos. The rubber retainer on the prop saver doesn't seem as though it's tight enough. I put a twist in it and it has stayed on just for setting everything up.
I am anxious to maiden my mini yak and I appreciate all of your assistance.
Last edited by ablair; Feb 05, 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Jan 27, 2016, 04:11 PM
Blenderm will stick to EPP?
Jan 27, 2016, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710
Blenderm will stick to EPP?
Quite well if you smear a thin coat of Welder on the EPP first.

BTW, you can't beat Jim's service.
Jan 27, 2016, 05:30 PM
It sticks well and protects the hinges from tearing at the ends. I also used it to hold the carbon rod in. I went over them with sandpaper, cleaned and they still didn't want to stick.
Jan 27, 2016, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablair
It sticks well and protects the hinges from tearing at the ends. I also used it to hold the carbon rod in. I went over them with sandpaper, cleaned and they still didn't want to stick.
I'm still a relative newbie to EPP. I built a McFoamy XL just this year, and it was my first. Been wanting to try a Leadfeather Yak, but I might need to size the plan up a little to use my existing electronics.
Jan 28, 2016, 05:43 AM
Bryan, you can look at racores.com, and review Jim's planes. An unpainted 9mm Yak-55 with motor, servos and other items won't set you back that much. There is more than enough information and assistance on this site to help you get it going! Good luck!

Quick Reply