Dec 07, 2008, 01:12 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Thank you, thank you, thank you.........exactly what I'm looking for
Gold, you're welcome.

It was exactly what I wanted too but didn't exist.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2008, 02:01 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
A couple of questions

- What size is the carbon for the wing and stab spar ?
-What is the span?
When I print out the tiled pdf I get ~32.5", but the 28" dimension on the wing comes out more like 26.7". The single PDF also measures ~32.5"

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 07, 2008, 02:45 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
A couple of questions

- What size is the carbon for the wing and stab spar ?
-What is the span?
When I print out the tiled pdf I get ~32.5", but the 28" dimension on the wing comes out more like 26.7". The single PDF also measures ~32.5"

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
Pat, The wing spar is 1/8" carbon tube. The stab spar is 1/16"carbon rod. The span is 32.5". I'll have to double check the 28/26.7 issue. I built mine to the plans and seems OK.

I also used 1/16" carbon rod for the control rods

Dan
Dec 07, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks.
The plans and dimension are right.

I only taped together 1/2 the wing drawing, and assumed that the dimension was centered
If I tape all of it together it is 28"

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 07, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks leadfeather, I'll post a pic when I get it finished!
Dec 07, 2008, 04:32 PM
I like it, looks great nice job! Humm I might just try it.
Dec 07, 2008, 06:21 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

CG stuff

As flown, the cg was about 3" from the leading edge of he wing. It was a little tail heavy so I think a better position is going to be about 2 3/4".

To get the battery a little closer to the cg I would move the 5 gram tail servos up a little. As shown in the photo they are about 8" back from the leading edge. My best guess is that if they were mounted at 7" from the leading edge the battery would be very close to the cg.
Dec 07, 2008, 07:48 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!

Dan's EPP Yak55

Here are a couple of image I took at the fly-in yesterday of the man with the plan EPP Yak 55 that is.

Dan thanks for the hardwork and making the plans and information available so others can enjoy!

Mark
Dec 07, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hey leadfeather, I'm having a problem printing the pdf's out, when I print I slecet fit to page and I come up with 14" instead of 15" with I put it together? Any ideas? Also I also love hobbycity for parts they got the best pricing IMO.
Dec 07, 2008, 09:01 PM
Select "none" for page scaling.

edit - did the Yak have a "close encounter" with another plane?
Those look like prop marks on the left wing.

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 07, 2008, 09:16 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:

Pat MacKenzie

Good eyes Pat. The Yak has already had two mid airs on two separate days...I think with the same other airplane ha!

Gotta love that epp, takes a beating and just keeps on flying.
Dec 07, 2008, 09:21 PM
Quote:

Pat MacKenzie
Thats whats weird I do and it cuts the left side boards off, I put it together is you can see it comes up a little bit smaller?? the 15 inch comes out 14?? I don't know if it will make a difference, I hate starting a project off wrong..
Dec 07, 2008, 09:36 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford
Thats whats weird I do and it cuts the left side boards off, I put it together is you can see it comes up a little bit smaller?? the 15 inch comes out 14?? I don't know if it will make a difference, I hate starting a project off wrong..
I don't know that much about printing pdf's so I hope someone else can give you some help and direction.

I would recommend getting the printing sorted out first. I think the rest of the project will go better for you with a good set of plans/templates.

Dan
Dec 07, 2008, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I don't know that much about printing pdf's so I hope someone else can give you some help and direction.

I would recommend getting the printing sorted out first. I think the rest of the project will go better for you with a good set of plans/templates.

Dan
LOL so true, moving on.. I love the setup it looks like a winner. I'm printing now.
Dec 08, 2008, 06:55 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

More data

My Yak55's flying weight is 190 grams. The main wing has an area of about 240 sq in. A few taps on my calculator gives me a number of 4.014 oz/sqft.

I would love to be able to shave off 30 grams or more without sacrificing durability, airframe stiffness and simplicity.

Quick Reply