EPPYak55 ... build guide, videos, free plans - Page 188 - RC Groups
Jul 16, 2009, 05:34 PM

Welders adhesives 3 types

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmkly
I am planning making a call to the distributor tomorrow when I get home ... I will get the low down on all 3 types and post the results tomorrow night.
Red tube (our good ole stand by) is not the same as the silver tube (general Purpose) there is a very "slight" chemical difference in the bonding agent ... this goes for the pro grade as well ... I will be adding the red package welders in the large tube as well as the smaller tube to my site by the first of next week.

I plan on buying the pro grade to do some testing and see if it holds up any better. Until then I plan on sticking with the red tube.

Again ... thanks for all your business

Greg M
wmparkflyers.com
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hey everyone,

I've got a question, but first I wanted to give a quick thanks to Leadfeather for sharing this magnificent plane.

Now to my question. I consider myself an experienced noob. I can do a mediocre harrier, and almost hover. Whenever I get into a hover, the plane starts rotating on its roll axis, in the same direction every time. As I try to counter it with ailerons, it takes a huge amount and responds sluggishly. I end up putting so much effort into trying to keep it from rolling that it screws me up on everything else (elevator/rudder/throttle).

Is this torque roll? How do I correct the problem? It only occurs while hovering or doing harriers.

For some clarification, the plane is built out of FFF, with a BW, 10amp ESC, 2x 5gram servo, 1x 9gram servo, and a 500mah 3s lipo. It is also reinforced in the wing and tail per the plans. I currently use a 10x4.5 SF prop.

Thanks for your help !
Last edited by billyjones454; Jul 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Jul 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjones454
Hey everyone,

I've got a question, but first I wanted to give a quick thanks to Leadfeather for sharing this magnificent plane.

Now to my question. I consider myself an experienced noob. I can do a mediocre harrier, and almost hover. Whenever I get into a hover, the plane starts rotating on its roll axis, in the same direction every time. As I try to counter it with ailerons, it takes a huge amount and responds sluggishly. I end up putting so much effort into trying to keep it from rolling that it screws me up on everything else (elevator/rudder/throttle).

Is this torque roll? How do I correct the problem? It only occurs while hovering or doing harriers.

For some clarification, the plane is built out of FFF, with a BW, 10amp ESC, 2x 5gram servo, 1x 9gram servo, and a 500mah 3s lipo. It is also reinforced in the wing and tail per the plans. I currently use a 10x4.5 SF prop.

Thanks for your !
It is T/R caused by the torque of the motor+ prop,,you need a good amount of throw on your alerons to correct it,,some planes do it easy ,some struggel
But in time you will get use to it and start correcting earlyer,,and then you will start to love T/R beleve me
Jul 16, 2009, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny rottern
you need a good amount of throw on your alerons to correct it

I don't think that I'm lacking in throw. I've got over 45 degrees. But I have to give it 80% ailerons before it will stop rotating... Is that normal? This is when I'm giving it just enough throttle to hover... if I increase to where it starts to climb, the ailerons seem to respond a *little* better...
Jul 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
I don't think that I'm lacking in throw. I've got over 45 degrees. But I have to give it 80% ailerons before it will stop rotating... Is that normal? This is when I'm giving it just enough throttle to hover... if I increase to where it starts to climb, the ailerons seem to respond a *little* better...
The larger the diameter of the prop the more prop torque there will be. Can you try a smaller prop? 9x4.7 or and 8 x 4.3 and see if that helps?
Jul 16, 2009, 11:30 PM
is it flying time?
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help !
Billy,

Unless you have a much different BW than I do you are way over propped. For a 3 cell setup I usually run an 8 x 4.3 or maybe a 9 x 5 DD prop. The larger prop is part of why you are needing so much aileron to stop the torque roll.
Jul 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
I usually run an 8 x 4.3 or maybe a 9 x 5 DD prop.
What is a DD prop? And if I'm in the market to buy some different sized props, should I get one of those, or a slow fly?
Jul 16, 2009, 11:53 PM
One More Chuck
The prop question has been done, but I can't find it either. What would you all recommend as the benchmark HC prop to use with a standard build on this recommended setup:

HC Turnigy 2730 - 1500kv
HC Turnigy plush 10A SC
2S 360mah Rhino pack

thanks all,
Michael.
Jul 16, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hovering a plane is kinda like flying a helicopter you have to be thinking in advance if you see you plane starting to move its too late, tip when your plane is in a hover you can use the rudder and the elevator to stop roll?

by pushing the nose a little forward (elevator down) stops the roll
if you rudder tap also you can change the roll too it just take practice to see whats coming next.
Latest blog entry: Yunnec Typhoon H Review
Jul 17, 2009, 12:17 AM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stowed
The prop question has been done, but I can't find it either. What would you all recommend as the benchmark HC prop to use with a standard build on this recommended setup:

HC Turnigy 2730 - 1500kv
HC Turnigy plush 10A SC
2S 360mah Rhino pack

thanks all,
Michael.
For that set up

8 x 4 DD direct drive

or

8043 SF SlowFly also called RD (Reduction Drive) by Hobby City
Jul 17, 2009, 12:33 AM
This page has some prop data for the HXT blue wonder style motors. Looks like the 1500kv will run an 9x5 prop on 2s with 11.3oz of thrust @ 7.6a

I just bought a 1500kv BW motor and was looking for prop data myself. I think I am going to try it on my yak instead of the 1300kv and use the 1300kv on my new extra 300.

I will be trying the 8x4 on 3S or the 9x5 on 2S on the 1500kv.
Jul 17, 2009, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
For that set up

8 x 4 DD direct drive

or

8043 SF SlowFly also called RD (Reduction Drive) by Hobby City
It looks like the benefit of using the 8x4 on 2S instead of the 9x5 would be longer flight times with the smaller battery pack. Am I correct in that assumption?
Jul 17, 2009, 01:29 PM
Winging it >

Build Guide

Here is the long overdue build guide for the EPYak55. I hope it is helpful. Based on feedback I will add to or modify the build guide as required.

First modifications are done and posted below. Mostly minor stuff, corrections and small additions.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 20, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Jul 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
Crash and Build
I can host it if you can send it to me
Jul 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoles
I can host it if you can send it to me

Thanks, I just split it into 2 documents.

ps I was able to reduce the file size and repost.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 17, 2009 at 02:25 PM.