Ken's CAD Models
Mark,

Very Cool!

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2009, 04:53 PM
Roll Tide!
Quote:
the yak flies better to me though, basically anything that isnt hovering or ballistic rolls, the yak flies better in my opinion.
Oh no! Now I'm thinking about an EPP slofly. Does it hover better than the Yak? My fluffy yak hovers very nicely and it's so floaty and light. My guess is that a fluffy yak is equal or better for hovering than a 1.3 epp slofly.

Any input appreciated and thanks again for the initiation to the EPP world!
Apr 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
having flown both a lot, I think the yak is an all around better plane, IMO. My yak is one of the best hovering planes I have, it has helped me to learn to hover my larger planes, and it torque rolls quite well. I learned a lot on the slofly as well, but the Yak just does so many things better / smother. I don't think rolls are any faster with the yak, but if you are looking for simply crazy roll rates, go biplane. Just my 2 cents
Apr 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
TallguysRC
Ok lets get down to the goods and bads

In this corner we have the sloper Steve Slofly28
and in the other corner we have the Leadfeather/hobby lobby clone ooops copyed yak55"

Steve slofly28 wings the original award as he was one of the first to use (EPP the other foam)

1 for Steve and the Slofly if your keeping score

if you build both planes 100% per the recomended eequipment servos/motors/esc and stuff the slofly should come in AUW no battery around 5.1oz
the Yak55 (someone help me here)

I think mine was like 6.0oz cant remember so for stock build AUW the slofly wins points for being lighter. (also the slofly is only a 28" wingspan helps with the weight a little.
2 points for the slofly.

building wise they both recomend 9mm 1.3# epp foam the slofly uses 3mm carbon for the wings/Fuselage/elevator, the yak uses carbon for the wings and the elevator foam side braces for the fuselage.

pro and con here lets see the yak if you use the firewall mount lets you remove the motor fast and easy.

the slofly you can tape in the mount no glue is require makes for fast and easy repair
if you go with the carbon or tube mount with the yak you have to do a little work if you want to use the carbon tube type mount.

they are both good for what they are this way but! I give a little edge to the slofly in the easy to build side of it as the yak you would have to do a little more work to install a carbon motor mount as you have 4 pieces of foam to attach it to.

Flying

Rolls the slofly will out roll a yak hands down. in both direction from level flight.
hovering its a tie.
inverted its a tie
knife edge: my yak tucks a little more but there about the same.
torque rolls: Slofly wins the spins!
blenders: tie
flying the wall: tie
waterfalls: tie
snap rolls: slofly28 wings this hands down.
indoor/outdoor: tie
crash tie

fell free to voice in

they are both great planes bottom line fly what you like.
Apr 30, 2009, 08:29 PM
Pug Pilot
This is what I did to my Slofly28 after I built and flew the Yak 55.

TOAST!

AirSoft VS RC Planes! (MUST SEE!!!) (1 min 29 sec)
Apr 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
is it flying time?
Robert,

You are entitled to your opinion and if you think that the Slofly is a better airplane all I can say is go forth young man and enjoy the heck out of it and sing it's praises all you want in your Slofly thread. For me, I will take my Yak 55 built from Leadfeather's plans over a Slofly and yes, I have built and flown both. Please take note of the fact that I do not come over to your Slofly thread and knock your choice of model. I really do not understand why you feel you must post here in the Yak 55 thread as to how much better the Slofly is in your opinion.

Jerry
Apr 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
can you say
BLOW your own Horn
Marty
Apr 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
I would love to see some video of you doing all these maneuvers you listed (blenders, waterfalls, flying the wall, knife edge flight) with both the slofly and the yak to see a good comparison

And I agree Jerry, please keep the slofly on the slofly thread.
Apr 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c
How do you guys like the Yak design vs. the Superslo 28"? I just built a slofly 22" and love it and was just about to start a Superslo 28" build. Just wondering how you think the Yak compares.
I say build both and see what you like better as we all have different flying styles.

But since you are asking, I prefer the Yak as it suits my flying style better (my flying style is displayed starting about :25 into the first video on the first page of this thread).

I've flown about 5 different sloflys and they all had similar tendencies to roll out during some manuevers involving a lot of elevator input and they were all somewhat difficult to control the direction of flight during rolling harriers. Also, the Yak flies more in line with my larger aircraft so it would be easy to transition back to my outdoor planes. After flying the slowfly all winter back in 2007-08 it was more difficult to transition back to my outdoor planes as my thumbs had been trained for the slowfly flight characteristics.

Note that I do not own a Yak built per templates available on this thread. I do have a Yak that has my own tweaks that is more suited for outdoor or a large indoor place which doesn't fly as good as the templated Yak found on this thread. The video in the first post was my second flight on the "fluffy" style Yak.
Last edited by dls8767; Apr 30, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Apr 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
TallguysRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Robert,

You are entitled to your opinion and if you think that the Slofly is a better airplane all I can say is go forth young man and enjoy the heck out of it and sing it's praises all you want in your Slofly thread. For me, I will take my Yak 55 built from Leadfeather's plans over a Slofly and yes, I have built and flown both. Please take note of the fact that I do not come over to your Slofly thread and knock your choice of model. I really do not understand why you feel you must post here in the Yak 55 thread as to how much better the Slofly is in your opinion.

Jerry
Jerry.

do you have any videos of you flying your Yak?
Apr 30, 2009, 09:44 PM
TallguysRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Slater
can you say
BLOW your own Horn
Marty
Marty I thought you might like this!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=10529
Apr 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have built both, but only flown the Yak. Since both airframes cost less than $20 each to build, why argue over which one is better. It's like trying to decide which wife you love better . Build both, and have a spare to fly.
Apr 30, 2009, 10:18 PM
I Love My Ember!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavelow
I have built both, but only flown the Yak. Since both airframes cost less than $20 each to build, why argue over which one is better. It's like trying to decide which wife you love better . Build both, and have a spare to fly.

Seriously. I built the Yak because I liked the looks better, hands down. I bought the cars I own because I like the way they look; their handling is important to me too, but if you can have a plane that does what you want, and looks good, why not just do it?

keep in mind that everyone building these planes is building them to their own specs for the most part, balancing them differently, and using different components. I built my own at a different scale because it is what fit on the foam that I had. In the end, they are cheap planes, so who cares if you don't like it? Just throw/give it away and start over. Or design your own, as just about anything will fly if you balance it right.
Apr 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Hey guys I just made my way back to the hotel after another awesome day at SEFF. Anyone that has not had the opportunity to make it to this event should!

Scott Stoops showed up today and after everyone finished flying the huge gama of 3D Hobby Shop planes for the day Ben and Scott pulled out the Yak's.

I can honestly say they really love the way the Yak fly's. I also meet AllBread today and he flew my Yak as well with the same type of comments.

In addition AllBread took some really cool pictures of Ben and Scott flying tonight and will hopefully be posting them soon.

All I can say is I can't keep the batteries charged as quickly as they have been going through them, but I am okay with that!

I did however manage to sneek in a flight on my Yak with glo-sticks placed on the leading edge and fuselage.

SEFF what a BLAST!

Mark
Apr 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
Ol' Mark has made quite the impact here at SEFF. There are so many planes here.. of all shapes and sizes, but the planes being flown the most are the two Yaks that Mark had brought along.

Today alone, I've seen dozens of guys fly these things (myself included... ) and all of them are literally lusting over them. Mark's going to have to buy new packs when he gets home cause the ones he has now are on constant rotation on a polycharge 4. Ben has been flying to wings off his, and has been handing it to anyone who wants it. Some really great pilots (many pro pilots) have flown these birds the last few days, and they all want one now!

I pulled the sticks on Mark's yak right about the time it was starting to get dark. I've had a few flights today, but spent most of it building. I had a blast with the little yak, it was so relaxing to fly such a light, floaty little foamy. I was able to keep it close enough to me that the darkening sky didn't cause me to loose it.

Great little plane!!! I'm really kicking myself for not finishing mine up before we left to head here. If I could find a printer, I would pick up some foam and cut one out real quick.... I wonder how close a kinko or UPS store is.... Google, here I come!!!

Quick Reply