2DogRC Dualsky Breeze Pro Review - RC Groups

2DogRC Dualsky Breeze Pro Review

Tim Tworek offers up a quick build and some in depth flight testing on the new 2DogRC Dualsky Breeze Pro F3P winner.

Splash

Introduction

2DogRC's Dualsky Breeze Pro
2DogRC's Dualsky Breeze Pro
Wingspan:30.7"
Wing Area:209 sq. in.
Weight:5.2 oz. (2s 250mah) 5.4 oz. (2s 300mah)
Length:33.5"
Wing Loading:3.6 oz/sq. ft. (w/2s 250) and 3.7 oz/sq. ft. (w/2s 300)
Servos:(3) Futaba S3114
Transmitter:JR X9303
Receiver:AR 6100
Battery:Dualsky 2s 250mah 16C, Dualsky 2s 300mah 25C
Motor:Dualsky 2812CA-27T
ESC:Dualsky XC0610BA (6A)
Manufacturer:Dualsky
Available From:2DogRC
Price:$55.00

Over the past several years the sport of indoor foamy flying has really seen a remarkable increase in pilots flying these super lightweight airplanes. They are not only capable of unbelievable 3D aerobatics but can also fly really, really, really slow precision aerobatics. There are now a number of contests that are held from February thru April that bring the very best pilots from all over the world together to fly these lightweight foamy airplanes.

Not wanting to miss out on all the fun, 2DogRC has recently introduced a brand new indoor 3D/precision foamy airplane manufactured by Dualsky called the Breeze Pro. The Breeze Pro has a very "Clikish" look to it. It comes with preprinted foam parts and can be set up for F3P pattern flying or all out wild freestyle aerobatics. With its affordable price tag, easy build and great flying characteristics, the Breeze Pro is sure to grab the attention of many indoor foamy fliers.

Kit Contents

My Dualsky Breeze Pro kit arrived in great condition, was nicely packaged and all the parts were conveniently placed in individual plastic bags.

I was really impressed by the fantastic looking and extremely visible covering scheme. The multi-blue tone covering scheme was flawlessly applied, and I can say that I was eagerly anticipating getting the build underway.

The Dualsky Breeze Pro kit contains:

• Great looking pre-covered 3mm depron foam airframe
  • A full complement of flat and rod carbon fiber stock
  • Composite control surface and motor mount parts
  • Complete hardware set

The Dualsky Breeze Pro kit requires:

• Brushless outrunner motor (80W)
  • Brushless speed controller (6A 2-3cell)
  • (3) micro servo
  • 2s 250mah-300mah lipo battery pack
  • foam safe CA/accelerator

Items used to complete the Dualsky Breeze Pro kit:

• Dualsky 2812-27T (80W) brushless motor
  • Dualsky 6A brushless esc
  • (3) Futaba 3114 micro servos
  • Dualsky 2s 250mah (16c) and Dualsky 2s 300mah (25c) lipo batteries
  • GWS 8 x 4 prop
  • AR 6100 receiver

Assembly

The Manual

The Dualsky Breeze Pro manual is laid out in a simple and easy to follow format and covers most everything needed to finish the build of the airplane in the shortest time possible. I used the manual as a quick source of reference during the build, but much of it is pretty straightforward, and most modelers will find the kit falls together quite easily.

There have been a few revisions to the original manual of which the management at 2DogRC have been made aware and are currently in the process of updating. Some of these updates to the manual can be viewed here.

Wing

The ailerons come pre-beveled.
The ailerons come pre-beveled.
 The wings and ailerons attached to the fuselage center.
The wings and ailerons attached to the fuselage center.
 Flat carbon fiber strips added to the leading edge of the wings.
Flat carbon fiber strips added to the leading edge of the wings.

The Dualsky Breeze Pro wings attach easily to the fuselage center. I used 3M blenderm tape to hinge the ailerons to the wings, and flat carbon fiber strips were glued to each leading edge. The wings and ailerons in my Breeze Pro kit were also free of any warping or twisting which can occasionally take place during the shipping/packaging process.

Fuselage

The lower fuselage and carbon fiber support rods are glued into place. <b><i>Note:</b></i> The elevator also gets installed during this step.
The lower fuselage and carbon fiber support rods are glued into place. Note: The elevator also gets installed during this step.
 The upper fuselage and landing gear legs installed.
The upper fuselage and landing gear legs installed.
 Carbon fiber rod axles get epoxied to a composite landing gear insert.
Carbon fiber rod axles get epoxied to a composite landing gear insert.

The installation of the lower fuselage was simply a matter of lining up the tabs to the center fuselage, ensuring the lower fuselage and center fuselage were perpendicular to each other, and the gluing them together. To add some additional strength and rigidity to the airframe (4) carbon fiber rods are glued to the bottom of the fuselage and then to the bottom of each wing half.

The elevator gets installed after the lower fuselage in glued in place. The elevator comes pre-beveled and was installed using 3M blenderm tape.

The landing gear legs are assembled so that they pass through the lower fuselage and are then glued to the bottom to the wing halves. A composite strength point plate is glued to each side of the lower fuselage where the landing gear legs pass through to give some additional support to the landing gear. The Dualsky Breeze Pro uses small carbon fiber rods as wheel axles that get epoxied to a composite landing gear insert. This setup has held up great after putting many flights on my Dualsky Breeze Pro.

Tail

The rudder with the beveled edge added.
The rudder with the beveled edge added.
 The rudder hinge taped in place and now able to give full deflection in both directions.
The rudder hinge taped in place and now able to give full deflection in both directions.
 The included composite control horns glued into place.
The included composite control horns glued into place.

The Dualsky Breeze Pro manual has the builder setup the rudder slightly differently than how I setup my rudder. It has the builder use several pieces of fiber tape that are placed on both sides of the vertical stab which then gets fastened to the rudder. I could not get this setup to work out for me; the fiber tape made it difficult to properly align the rudder to the vertical stab.

I decided instead to sand a 45 degree bevel on one side of the rudder (the rudder comes unbeveled) and then just use blenderm tape to attach it to the vertical stab. This minor setup adjustment made mounting and installing the rudder much simpler, and it allows for a full rudder deflection.

Radio/Motor Installation

The rudder and elevator are setup for pull-pull operation.
The rudder and elevator are setup for pull-pull operation.
 Aileron servo setup installed.
Aileron servo setup installed.
 The Dualsky 2812CA-27T and 6A esc installed.
The Dualsky 2812CA-27T and 6A esc installed.

Speed: (6.0V) .09 sec/60° (4.8V) .10 sec/60°
Dimensions: .86 x .43 x .78" (21.8 x 11 x 19.8mm)
Weight: .27oz (7.8g)
Lead Length: 6.5" (165mm)
Output Spline Diameter: 4mm
Gear Type: Nylon

I decided to use (3) Futaba 3114 micro servos to handle the control surfaces on my Dualsky Breeze Pro. These are great little servos that perform quite well and are affordably priced. The Breeze Pro does not come with any of the servo pockets/locations precut. The only reference I had for the servos’ location was a picture in the manual. While precut pockets would have been nice to have, it only took me a few minutes to cut out some depron and mount my servos.

The rudder and elevator are setup on pull-pull, and the installation was very straight forward using the included pull-pull string. The ailerons are installed using small carbon fiber rods and a small Z-bend wire with heat shrink. Just like the rudder and elevator, the aileron installation was very easy to install, and all the control setups provide a very light yet responsive feel.

KV: 1780
No of cells:
Weight: .27oz (7.8g)
Max Efficiency A: 6A
Max Burst (15 sec) A: 10A
Max Power (15 sec) W: 80W
Prop range: 7.35-8.4
Plane Weight (g) 100-200 grams

The Dualsky 2812CA-27T motor and Dualsky XC0610BA (6A) ESC were custom made for the Breeze Pro, and I had zero issues with the installation. I mounted the motor to my Breeze Pro using the included lightweight composite radial mount and then just soldered the speed controller wires directly to the motor wires.

The Breeze Pro kit comes with two fuselage stringers which can be glued in place once your radio equipment is installed. I decided not to use them: I felt that the fuselage was already plenty strong enough without them. If you are new to foamies (depron especially) I would recommend installing them; they would make the airplane slightly more robust for the newer foamy pilot.

Completion

My completed Breeze Pro with SFGs and air brakes added.
My completed Breeze Pro with SFGs and air brakes added.
 Here you can see the location for my AR 6100 rx.
Here you can see the location for my AR 6100 rx.
 The finished Breeze Pro looks great!!
The finished Breeze Pro looks great!!

Dimensions: 0.98" x 0.47" x 0.24" (25x12x6mm)
Cells: Li-Poly
Max Output: 6A
Max Burst: 10A
BEC: 5V/1A

I couldn't have been happier with how my finished Breeze Pro looked when it was completed. My finished Breeze Pro’s AUW came in at 5.2 oz. (w/2s 250mah) pack and 5.4 oz. (w/2s 300mah) battery pack. I balanced my Breeze Pro right at the 90mm as specified in the manual.

Control throw and expo. settings

Control throws were set per the Breeze Pro instruction manual:
Low Rates UpLow Rates Down High Rates Up High Rates Down
Elevator 15 deg. 15 deg. 45 deg. 45 deg.
Aileron 20 deg. 20 deg. 45 deg. 45 deg.
Low Rates Left Low Rates Right High Rates Left High Rates Right
Rudder 15 deg. 15 deg. 35 deg. 35 deg.

My personal expo. settings (flown with a JR radio which uses + expo. to soften the feel around center)
Low RatesHigh Rates
Elevator (+) 15% (+) 45%
Aileron (+) 20% (+) 40%
Rudder (+) 15% (+) 45%

Flying

The Basics

Dimensions: 39X21X11mm
Max Continuous: (16C)
Numbers As Tested
Amps: 4.5A
Watts: 28W
Watts/LB.86w/lb.

Dimensions: 7.6x31x56mm
Max Continuous: (25C)
Numbers As Tested
Amps: 7.2A
Watts: 51W
Watts/LB.157w/lb.

The Dualsky Breeze Pro is a first class indoor performer as I came to find out through some extensive flight testing at several of my local indoor flying facilities (local school gyms). The Breeze Pro is capable of flying extremely slow precision aerobatics, and the air brakes create enough drag to allow the airplane to fly at near walking speeds. I was flying the Breeze Pro with complete comfort after only a few trim flights.

The recommended low rate throws seemed to suit my flying style quite well, and I found the Breeze Pro had excellent tracking at all speeds: The controls remain very effective at all speeds, and the Dualsky brushless motor pulls the Breeze Pro around with ease. Most of my flights indoors have been at 1/2 throttle or less except when pulling vertical lines. The Dualsky Breeze Pro has a very effective rudder which makes flat turns, even on low rates, very easy to accomplish. The rudder authority also becomes quite evident in knife edge flight. Only the slightest amount of rudder is needed to keep the Breeze Pro in any type of extended knife edge flight. I did notice that there was a small amount of roll coupling when flying knife edge, but a 4% rudder to aileron mix quickly eliminated it. However, I didn't notice any pitch coupling in knife edge with my Breeze Pro.

3D Aerobatics/Precision Flight Performance

I have to say that I have really enjoyed flying my Dualsky Breeze Pro for both precision F3P style and 3D aerobatics. By removing the air brakes, the Breeze Pro flies a little faster and is quite a bit more responsive.

I've assembled a list of some of the many 3D/precision aerobatic maneuvers that I have flown with my Breeze Pro and some of my thoughts on how the airplane performed fthem. Many of these maneuvers are featured in the videos listed below.

Snaps - The Futaba 3114 micro servos provide plenty of aileron authority and aid in producing very clean snaps. The snaps are not the quickest I've ever seen on a depron foamy but they are very easy to perform and can be done with zero altitude loss.

Hovering - The combined power of the Dualsky Dualsky 2812CA-27T motor and large control surfaces make hovering the Breeze Pro so, so easy. The large ailerons make it effortless to counter any unwanted torque rolling, and the rudder and elevator easily keeps the Breeze Pro balanced vertically.

Rolling Circle - My Breeze Pro is capable of performing really slow rolling circles. Because the Breeze Pro can fly these fairly slowly it was easy for me to keep up with the "stir" on the sticks. The use of a slightly higher throttle application can really turn the Breeze Pro into a serious rolling machine. Definitely a fun maneuver to fly on this airplane!!!

High Alpha Knife Edge - The Breeze Pro is capable of flying high alpha knife edge with only the smallest amount of rudder. The Breeze Pro has a very generous fuselage side area which makes flying any type of knife edge flight super easy. As noted above, there is some roll coupling in knife edge but I did not notice any need for pitch mixing.

Torque Roll - OH YEAH!!! This is perhaps one of the best maneuvers I enjoy flying with my Breeze Pro. The Breeze Pro will easy lock into a solid torque roll, and with only small adjustments on the sticks will reward you with a very controllable roll. The Breeze Pro can also easily counter-torque roll as well thanks to its oversized ailerons.

Is The Dualsky Breeze Pro For a Beginner?

The Dualsky Breeze Pro is a very, very stable airplane and can be flown extremely slowly, and it could definitely be flown by a beginner with the assistance of an experienced pilot. However, I think that an airplane made out of EPP foam or similar material might be better for the beginner pilot as it is much more robust and forgiving than the depron material on the Dualsky Breeze Pro.

Photo Gallery

My Dualsky Breeze Pro waits patiently for another flight.
My Dualsky Breeze Pro waits patiently for another flight.
 My son Caleb cheering me on to bring the Breeze Pro in a little closer. :)
My son Caleb cheering me on to bring the Breeze Pro in a little closer. :)
 My Breeze Pro spending some time in the spotlight.
My Breeze Pro spending some time in the spotlight.
 A little down low flying with my Breeze Pro.
A little down low flying with my Breeze Pro.
 The author gives Jamie Hicks an up close look at the Breeze Pro.
The author gives Jamie Hicks an up close look at the Breeze Pro.
 A night under the lights with my Breeze Pro.
A night under the lights with my Breeze Pro.

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

The Dualsky Breeze Pro is really a terrific flying 3D/precision flying indoor foamy. The build is pretty much straightforward, and the listed power setup provides more than enough power. The airplane is fully capable of flying F3P precision sequences all day long as well as some throw down freestyle routines. I find the Breeze Pro to also be an exceptional value, and it's definitely competitively priced which should make it even more attractive to someone looking to get into flying a depron airplane at an affordable price.

If you'd like to see what others are saying about the build and flying qualities of the new Dualsky Breeze Pro there has been a discussion thread started here which also includes some additional video of the Breeze Pro in action.

Pluses:

• Great looking airframe right out of the box
  • Excellent included hardware package
  • Super easy to build
  • Lightweight pull-pull setup for the rudder and elevator
  • All around flying characteristics

Minuses:

• The included manual was missing some build steps (2DogRC has been made aware of this and has issued a revised version)
  • Precut servo slots could make the build go slightly faster
Last edited by Angela H; Feb 06, 2009 at 06:19 AM..
Feb 06, 2009, 11:40 AM
War Eagle!
Tim,

Great job with the review! Your videographer was mighty brave, too, getting up close and personal with the Breeze! And you and Jamie have some serious skills!

That's a nice gym you have there to fly on. I wish we had access to something like that nearby. Indoor flying is way fun -- and comfortable.

Again, nicely done, and thanks for the informative read and video!
Feb 06, 2009, 11:49 AM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Could you use a AXI 2203-46 on this one?
Feb 06, 2009, 12:00 PM
How about the Eflite 250 since I have one of these?

Brad
Feb 06, 2009, 12:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Nice review Tim! I agree with it all: awesome slow rolling circles, and the torque-rolling to die for. I like adding full aileron in the same direction as the torque; she winds up fast, and needs very little help to stay put (edit: like you're doing in the video it seems ). A fun plane indeed!
Feb 06, 2009, 01:00 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
Could you use a AXI 2203-46 on this one?

Yes

This would definately work on the Breeze Pro.

Tim
Feb 06, 2009, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
Nice review Tim! I agree with it all: awesome slow rolling circles, and the torque-rolling to die for. I like adding full aileron in the same direction as the torque; she winds up fast, and needs very little help to stay put (edit: like you're doing in the video it seems ). A fun plane indeed!

Thanks Arron and Napo!!

It's a fantastic indoor flying facility (gym). It's actually large enough that we can divide the gym into different flying sections (one for heli's/micros, sport flyers, and 3D).

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Feb 06, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Feb 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung
How about the Eflite 250 since I have one of these?

Brad
Brad,

If you could keep the AUW as light as possible the 250 would probably work. I would think that a sub 5 oz. Breeze with the E-250 would make for a very capable flyer.

Tim
Feb 06, 2009, 03:58 PM

Great review!

Great review Tim! I agree with your assessment, because I saw you fly this plane! It handles as mild or wild as you want.
Feb 06, 2009, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEinSKY
Great review Tim! I agree with your assessment, because I saw you fly this plane! It handles as mild or wild as you want.

Thanks Tom!!!

I'll be up in Clinton Saturday morning.

Tim
Feb 06, 2009, 04:23 PM
Micro EDF addict
I'm sold! Are they in stock?
Feb 06, 2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
I'm sold! Are they in stock?

Hmmm.....good question. I know Mark is in IL. at the E-fest this weekend. I'd send him an email or give him a call on Monday to check on stock status.

Tim
Feb 06, 2009, 04:46 PM
Micro EDF addict
alrighty. thanks
Feb 06, 2009, 04:46 PM
Great Review Tim!

You going to be at Saline tonight?

Ryan
Feb 06, 2009, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap 232g