Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by compuatic
Principal Member

Would anyone be interested in a cheaper alternative to UBEC ?

I am in the process of designing my own BEC Circuit. Specs will be the following

4.5V-40V input voltage
5V regulated out independant of Vin or load current until battery drops below 4.5V, then output voltage is directly wired to battery.
4 AMP continous current output independant of Vin

design is pretty much complete and dimensions will be smaller than your typical 40 AMP ESC. once i have it made i will send out a couple units for beta testing to some of the senior members on the board so that they can report back. if succesfull, price will be about $20 a pop. does this interest anyone ?
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
With the wide use of high-powered digital servos do you think 4 amps is enough? I would like to see 10A + to be on the safe side.

Also I can see that 10 series LiPo batteries (10s?p) are going to me used on some helicopters. That will give a fully charged voltage of close to your limit. What is your safety margin on the voltage?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by TMorita
Most of the digital servos use less than an amp. Probably something like 600 ma peak.

10 amps at 5 volts is way overkill. That's enough power to run 16 digital servos simultaneously. It's 50 watts.

To put this into perspective, a hovering Piccolo uses about 25 watts (8v @ 3 amps). So you're basically describing a BEC that has the power output of two Piccolos hovering simultaneously.

Toshi
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
I don't see anything wrong with 4amps, the UBec is 3-5amps.

But what about the size? Sure in a larger plane the oz makes no big diff.

With the lithiums coming up an airborn pack is gonna get really small and light. If a BEC is bigger and heavier than a battery pack, the only plus is not charging it. But with lithiums we get such high capacity, that will be a small issue too.

How about one the size of a GWS 4 channels RX?