Dec 05, 2008, 12:53 AM
chronic in training
Thread OP
Discussion

best 60 foamie for ds and frontside

anyone thoughts on the following three planes. NCFM's hp60 , wowings (aust) skua 15, or jw 60. looking for frontside speed plus some DS ing. If anyone knows joe zepedas email.. I know he's flown all three..or anyone else out there knows..any thoughts would be appreciated..

thanks,

Gary
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2008, 01:02 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
I'd vote for the JW as best allround performer for both frontside and DS, out of those 3. I like the Windrider Bat too, with some mods, mainly due to its durability.
Dec 05, 2008, 01:57 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Another vote for the JW. They can be a bit intimidating if you are not reasonably experienced. Planks are hard ( fast!) to land.

Built light, ( 40 OZ+-) they are amazing frontside, built heavy,( 80 OZ+-) they move out. Awesome plane, and I've had 50 or so to compare it with. Best bang for buck.
Dec 05, 2008, 03:11 AM
Go Faster!!
I would vote for the JW 60 also!
Dec 05, 2008, 03:21 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
JW60 for DS. LEG or NCFM for frontside.
Sorry Jason.
Dec 05, 2008, 06:48 AM
chronic in training
Thread OP
jason..no need to be sorry. I appreciate the info. what is the LEG you are talking about? thx
Dec 05, 2008, 09:14 AM
I do this for fun!
Reaper with ballast kit. Leaves JW's looking like they're standing still .

Frontside and light DS no ballast, full-on DS with ballast. Best of both worlds really.

And for those who will inevitably object, I have flown my Reaper against JW's in both frontside and light DS and always easily left them behind, so I am speaking from experience. I haven't flown heavy DS against a heavy JW so I have no experience there.

Ken.
Dec 05, 2008, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken
Reaper with ballast kit. Leaves JW's looking like they're standing still .

Frontside and light DS no ballast, full-on DS with ballast. Best of both worlds really.

And for those who will inevitably object, I have flown my Reaper against JW's in both frontside and light DS and always easily left them behind, so I am speaking from experience. I haven't flown heavy DS against a heavy JW so I have no experience there.

Ken.

I just reviewed the speed list. I think you may have confused the reaper with some other plane because it is totally owned by the JW
Dec 05, 2008, 10:24 AM
JW definitely gets my vote for best all around!

The Moth is a great flyer too, maybe better in really light air, but its just not as durable and doesn't hang in there as well in the BIG winds.

Spencer
Dec 05, 2008, 10:34 AM
The Predator
I think it's that lack of testing. . . in BIG AIR. The JW is not the most efficient ship out there but, it certainly is one of the most stable turbulence eating ships I've EVER seen. I find the huge speeds are pretty easy to come by in big air as are the butt kickings from turbulence with most any ship, keeping it off the deck is another story. For Big air and huge speeds, I'd recommend the JW. Front side, it will be beat by the NCFM, Reapers, and such. . .
You really want the best ship for any one job if you want to be "best in class". While all-arounders ARE sweet they must sacrifice somewhere to meet so many soaring demands. I keep a quiver of different ships and offten different wing loaded ships of the same design and OMG can I extract whatever power is available, from a whisper to a roar, if I have the perfect tool!
Dec 05, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Best all around???? depends on HOW fast you plan on going... If you think you will be constantly getting above 100mph, i would say Build a JW in the 40oz range and have fun!.. flyin 5mph-45mph winds and have a top speed of 130-140ish MPH... but not so heavy that a crash at 100mph will destroy the plane.

The Skua was a fantastic plane... I had the "DS" version and IMO it compared a lot to the old and quite forgotten "Bluto".... If frontside was more of a factor, i would suggest Skua but also depending on how much you could get it for here (if you are infact in the states)...

The Halfpipe was fun.. the Tail is the weak link for DS... but IMO if your not a novice flyer and DS isnt the most important thing on the planes agenda, the HP has a great roll rate, quick build and very sleek.

best answer, Get them all!...

JOe
Dec 05, 2008, 12:05 PM
DS and frontside.....two different monsters. Just recently saw a HP60 fly and had to do a double take when I noticed the servos mounted on the bottom of a flying wing. . Id go with the Jdub as well.
Dec 05, 2008, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon
jason..no need to be sorry. I appreciate the info. what is the LEG you are talking about? thx
I was saying sorry to Jason because he makes the JW60. (of which I own 5, oops 6... )
LEG = Leading Edge Gliders
Makers of some of the finest EPP PSS planes on the planet. I still think a PSS plane is the most fun you can have on the front side...and mine's not too shabby on the dark side.
stu
Last edited by 1000MPH; Dec 05, 2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: not enough JW's
Dec 05, 2008, 01:46 PM
chronic in training
Thread OP
thx everyone. can you tell me who makes the reaper? also looking at the predator bat..any opinions on this one (the bat?) thank you

Gary
Dec 05, 2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.southpacificmodels.co.nz/

Predator stopped selling Bats, IIRC. But you can modify a Bat yourself with help from us
BTW, search function is your friend.
I got my Bat to 163 but after flying a JW I hung it up on the wall. No comparison, IMO.

Quick Reply